(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water softener sizing and system selection?

Finally finished my install of my 32K Fleck 5600 SXT whole house water softener system. Everything went on without hitch, although I was scared for a little while because the water was pretty cloudy, almost like Alka Seltzer. Once the unit regenerated for the first time (2:00am) the bubbles disappeared.

I decided to hard pipe the unit in, since I had installed a softener loop when I did the copper re-pipe. But, I used sharkbite type fittings into the yoke/bypass, so I wouldn't run the risk of dripping flux or molten solder into the rubber innards of the bypass. I wouldn't exactly make it habit of using sharkbite fittings, but for a single time exterior use, they seem to work quite well.

All the various drain and condensation lines drain into a proper standpipe just out of view.

Looks good from here.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    I was thinking of using an R/O for drinking water at the kitchen sink, but not sure if it is needed. Also, the way everything is plumbed, I would be sending softened water to the refrigerator which only has a simple filter. Do I need to re-route plumbing to change this?
    I use an RO for both the drinking water at the kitchen sink, as well as plumbed to the refrigerator. I did a taste test with RO vs softened, dechlorinated water (I have a Fleck 7000 carbon tank ahead of the softener). RO water tastes much better! I highly recommend it. The softener is supposed to make it easier on the membrane and prevent Ca and Mg fouling.

One thing you might also consider is a carbon filter in front of the softener. I do notice the lack of chlorine in the shower, and it is a nice improvement. Not to mention it will help with resin life.

Edit: don't use copper to plumb the RO, use polyethylene or stainless steel tubing. It will pick up some of the copper in the tubing if you use Cu.
    Last edited by lifespeed; 11-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    I use an RO for both the drinking water at the kitchen sink, as well as plumbed to the refrigerator. I did a taste test with RO vs softened, dechlorinated water (I have a Fleck 7000 carbon tank ahead of the softener). RO water tastes much better! I highly recommend it. The softener is supposed to make it easier on the membrane and prevent Ca and Mg fouling.

One thing you might also consider is a carbon filter in front of the softener. I do notice the lack of chlorine in the shower, and it is a nice improvement. Not to mention it will help with resin life.

Edit: don't use copper to plumb the RO, use polyethylene or stainless steel tubing. It will pick up some of the copper in the tubing if you use Cu.
    Thanks... I have my RO unit on order and will most likely plumb lines to the sink and fridge. Funny how the deciding factor was our dog who won't drink the softened water..lol

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    ...the deciding factor was our dog who won't drink the softened water..lol
    Dogs know best. My wife has had an indoor cat for about 6 years. I have never seen that cat drink water from any source -- dish, toilet, dripping faucet, never. Yet she pees like a racehorse. Maybe I'll try a dish of unsoftened water and see how she reacts.