(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown-Vented Laundry Drain Trap?

Default Crown-Vented Laundry Drain Trap?

Hi All....great forum! I hope I'm not embarrassing myself by asking but does this laundry drain constitute an improper crown-vented trap or any other defective drain/trap? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by inspectordan View Post
    Hi All....great forum! I hope I'm not embarrassing myself by asking but does this laundry drain constitute an improper crown-vented trap or any other defective drain/trap? Thanks!
    Yes the stand pipe must not have any off sets.

NO. It is done like that anytime there is not room in the stud space for the trap and wall box to fit with a straight riser. How else COULD you do it? A box with the outlet offset to the side would help, but they are not that easy to locate. Don't sweat it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

You need twice the pipe diameter between the trap elbow and the sanitary tee inlet.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

I would say he has about that much center to center, and I have never had an inspector turn down an installation like this one. What do you want him to do, remodel the wall to give more room between the brick and the stud?

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I would say he has about that much center to center, and I have never had an inspector turn down an installation like this one. What do you want him to do, remodel the wall to give more room between the brick and the stud?
    The measurement is taken from the crown weir to the opening in the tee. In that situation the inspector is likely to overlook it.

It's an S trap. Every inspector in a 200 mile radius of here would make him change it. You do what needs to be done to meet code.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Actually he could remove/relocate that stud on the left side to give him the required 2x trap arm required. The offset in the riser is OK as long as the p-trap is set level.

The "2x diameter" rule does not mean you need 4 inches between the hubs of the fittings. And I may be a little dizzy on chemo, but I don't really see where this is an S-trap.

Name:  CrownVent.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  70.3 KB

You need 2 x the pipe diameter between the weir of the trap and the inlet of the tee. What is there ain't even close. It's an S trap with a vent that does nothing to break the siphon. That trap will siphon.

quote; It's an S trap

That is the most ridiculous statement ever posted here. There is nothing that even approximates an "S" trap in the installation, and it is EXACTLY like thousands, probably tens of thousands, of washer drain installations, with or without the offset in the riser.

You need to get the code book out and do some reading. I do agree though that there are thousands of them out there just like that and every one of them is ........wrong. How can yo look at that and not see an S trap? If it's because of the vent then again, read the code book.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The "2x diameter" rule does not mean you need 4 inches between the hubs of the fittings. And I may be a little dizzy on chemo, but I don't really see where this is an S-trap.
    I already said it means from the crown weir of the trap to the opening in the san tee. The hubs have nothing to do with it. The same requirement applies to hubless pipe and fittings.

Name:  CrownVent.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  72.6 KB..........................................

That is really stretching things to make it an "S" trap. Using that logic, EVERY "P" trap would be an "S" trap if you turn it on its side. You obviously do NOT know the dynamics of a siphon, which a "TRUE S TRAP" uses to be illegal, nor how a vent works. But then, when you turn a P trap on its side, like your drawing, then there is NO trap at all in the drain. Time for you do some remedial classwork, by taking Plumbing 099.
    Last edited by hj; 09-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.