can a 2 1/2" packer jet be purchased anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Schimko

Reaction score
Trying to make new well parts work on my old well casing. Am able to adapt everything except my packer jet assembly. In desperate need of a 2 1/2 inch jet. Anyone know where I can get one?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use a regular jet and use oversize leathers. You will have to special order the leathers. You can also put spacers under the leathers or put regular leathers inside the over-size leathers to make them beefier.

I did a search a while back for 2.5" stuff. Most of it is no longer being made. What came out of the well? Was it a regular packer? Why can't you re-use it?

Also beware that only 3" casing adapters are being made now, so you will have to either swedge up or down for the well head. I prefer to go up so you can install everything and remove everything without having to work an adapter around the pipe. 3" casing adapters have 1.5" threads so you will need to get another special adapter to go back to either 1" or 1.25" threads. Let me know if you need any more help, very few people know about 2.5" wells anymore.

Schimko

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Well that's good news I guess. As for the old stuff that came out let's just say the scrap man made a run to the dump. The only thing I kept was the pit less adapter... when I decided to scrap everything I thought everything could be easily had. Yes I was wrong. So can you tell me where to get these oversized leathers? The place I got my jet from just sells the stuff and knows nothing about it, they say they sell to well drillers and not home owners. So what I have so far is a 2.5" casing with a 2" whitewater pit less adapter. A galvanized bell adapter mates those 2 together. I have a 3/4 horse Gould's deep well packer pump. If I get over sizes leathers will they go past my pit less?

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, the 2.5" leathers will not go into the 2" pipe. That is why I was saying to go up to 3". I have no idea how a pitless adapter works for a jet pump, we don't even use pitless for 4" wells here so I can't help you much on that.

Since you reduce down to 2" you will have to install all the pipe first with the over-size leathers and then add the 2.5"x2" bell reducer at the end. It is tricky because you have to hold up the pipe with something while you slip it over, then release the clamp while you connect the 2.5" bell reducer, then install the well head. Hard to describe the process and much easier with a pump hoist.

Leathers should be easy to find, look at a site like Dean Bennet or such. Go ahead and order a new goulds jet, probably a FP2B07 for medium water levels. Install the cup leathers over the ones that come with the jet.

Good luck.

2.5jet.jpg

Last edited:

Schimko

Reaction score
Thanks again. I have the exact jet that you have in that picture. I just ordered leathers from http://www.deanbennett.com/cylinder_cups.htm They say they are for windmills, hopefully they work. I ordered the 2 1/2" and the ones without holes in them. I understand the process that you are talking about where we have to put the pipe and jet down first. Doesn't sound like its going to be fun..

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you ordered ones without holes. I supposed you can cut the hole yourself. The jet in the picture is a goulds jet. I did not add any extra support to this one but it's still working fine. Some people like to beef up the leathers with washers and then there is the trick where you leave the old leathers on and use them to beef up the 2.5" leathers.

Good luck.

Schimko

Reaction score
So we installed the leathers on the jet with the foot valve and sent everything down the pipe. Hooked up my new pump and primed had some dirt and sand at first but it was working. Ran it for a couple hours until the sand cleaned up. PSI gauge read 50 lbs right out of the box. Thought that was a lot so we lowered it to 40. Unleashed the water into the house and it seemed to work fine. Bout 15 minutes later i flushed the toilet and the pump came on and ran and ran and ran. Unplugged it hooked a hose on at the bottom of my system and ran the water out. Plugged the pump back in and it would only build 36 psi. The really bad part after about 2 to 3 hours all the water would run back down into the well so it would loose its prime. Talked to some other people and they think I might have blown my leathers off. When we put them on all we did was soak them in hot water and slid them over the old ones. Any opinion on what happened?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could have a hole in the casing. Tough luck....might try re-installing the pipe/leathers again. You'll have to get new leathers also.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When we put them on all we did was soak them in hot water and slid them over the old ones.
Explain how you doubled them up. If you just slid them over the old ones as you said, what holds them in place? When doubling up leathers, one is usually put inside the other like two spoons.

Schimko

Reaction score
Explain how you doubled them up. If you just slid them over the old ones as you said, what holds them in place? When doubling up leathers, one is usually put inside the other like two spoons.

Well the old ones are kind of cupped so the new ones slipped over them one direction but very to get off the other way. Then we took a screw driver and widened them out. The same thing that hold the small ones on is what holds the new bigger ones on. So it would be the jet then the small leather and finally the big leather. Should we have secured them some how? Like i said all was good for the first day. i think we had too much pressure going down my casing. Anyone know how much pressure should be there?:confused:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
1-HP jet pumps normally run anywhere from 40-60 psi jet pressure.

Can you cut the pipe off a few feet and re-install so the leathers are resting in a different spot? You will need a threader/cutter or just replace one 21' joint with one 10' joint.

Schimko

Reaction score
I have 3/4 horse pump so my pressure was pretty much spot on. We even lowered it at first. I dont get what you mean by cutting the pipe off. We havnt pulled the pipe up yet because I am lazy but have to soon. Cant we just take the old ones off if they havnt blown off already and put the new ones on?? Another question on the leathers. Do I have to let them "seat" before I run constant pressure on them? Also we are using 10' sections of pipe already as I am only down 70'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks