(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Flushmate: Repair or go with gravity?

Hybrid View

Default Flushmate: Repair or go with gravity?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    And you all have these pressure assist toilets because....?
    Because they are the only low-flow toilets sold for many years that actually WORKED, i.e., you NEVER have to plunge or flush them twice.
    In 1992 the U.S. government mandated that all toilets sold after 1994 cannot consume more than 6 liters (1.6 gallons) per flush. What they didn't consider was that a traditionally designed gravity-fed 6L toilet isn't good for *you-know-what* when it comes to effectively flushing away solid waste.

When we remodeled our bathroom about 15 years ago, I purchased an American Standard gravity low-flow toilet from Home Depot (because that's all they had), and it clogged the FIRST time I used it. I wanted my old toilet back! I called the manufacturer who basically admitted that low-flow toilets deliver a weak flush and that most people end up having to flush at least twice to get the job done. Unacceptable!

I returned that toilet, did some research with consumer reports and found -- at the time -- that the Gerber pressure-assist toilets were the ONLY low-flow toilets top rated to get the job done, first time, every time, with one flush. Our Flushmate toilet has worked flawlessly for 15 years. I NEVER have to use a plunger. Pure physics dictates that an unmodified gravity-fed flush of only 1.6 gallons doesn't provide enough pressure and volume to reliably remove solid waste. Having to use a plunger to unclog excrement on a regular basis is not my idea of fun. No way--I love my Gerber Flushmate toilet.

Got the recall kit and installed just the U-band because the stupid pressure regulator won't fit. The water supply valve is in the way. Will have to do, it's been fine for 15 years and whatever happens we've already gotten our money's worth out of this toilet... I can't recommend it enough.
    Last edited by DIYhomey; 09-12-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Homey, you're about 10 years out of date. Toto's gravity toilets (of which I have 3), do an amazing job of QUIETLY flushing away everything. Turns out that if the trapway through which the waste goes is well designed, you don't need a rocket motor to shoot the stuff through it.

You are correct that the old 1.6s stunk. I had one by Kohler. My Totos are night and day, including one that operates on 1.28.

So while your answer was totally right years ago, now there's no need for the rocket motor.

And Consumer Reports's toilet results aren't too well-regarded on here, although I will say that at least they were smart enough to recommend the Toto Drake this year.

PS For all your gung-ho spirit about living without the pressure reducer, i wonder what your wife would think if she saw the photos and videos above, or if she had to pick shards of china out of your grandkid's skin. Or even if the thing went off moments after a child had used the bathroom, like the pissed Dad in the video above. Just sayin.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 09-10-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Homey, you're about 10 years out of date. Toto's gravity toilets (of which I have 3), do an amazing job of QUIETLY flushing away everything. Turns out that if the trapway through which the waste goes is well designed, you don't need a rocket motor to shoot the stuff through it.

You are correct that the old 1.6s stunk. I had one by Kohler. My Totos are night and day, including one that operates on 1.28.

So while your answer was totally right years ago, now there's no need for the rocket motor.

And Consumer Reports's toilet results aren't too well-regarded on here, although I will say that at least they were smart enough to recommend the Toto Drake this year.

PS For all your gung-ho spirit about living without the pressure reducer, i wonder what your wife would think if she saw the photos and videos above, or if she had to pick shards of china out of your grandkid's skin. Or even if the thing went off moments after a child had used the bathroom, like the pissed Dad in the video above. Just sayin.
    Candee, my response was to Gary Swart, who asked "And you all have these pressure assist toilets because...."

Because...

1. I purchased my toilet 15 years ago. AT THE TIME, it was the ONLY low flow toilet that actually worked.
    2. Over 2 million of these units have been purchased and installed under a number of brands.
    3. I am aware of the Toto brand, and they are expensive. My toilet was reasonably priced and remains a good alternative.
    4. My unit works as well as it did when I bought it. I'm not going to run out and replace it with a Toto or any other brand unless it breaks.
    4. The rush of water doesn't bother me in the least. I kind of like the satisfying "woosh", especially after having owned toilets you have to plunge.
    5. The pressure reducer physically WILL NOT FIT in my installation, as I said in my post.
    6. I told my wife about the exploding toilets. We don't have children or grandchildren and anyway I installed the U-band which will prevent a violent "explosion" if the unit ruptures.
    7. My only other option would be to replace the entire toilet. It's been fine for 15 years.
    8. I would still highly recommend this type as an alternative to the overpriced Toto brand.
    9. The only consumer reports recommended model this site has a problem with is the "green" 2-stage version. I wouldn't get that one.
    Last edited by DIYhomey; 09-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DIYhomey View Post
    Candee, my response was to Gary Swart, who asked "And you all have these pressure assist toilets because...."

Because...

2. I am aware of the Toto brand, and they are very expensive. My toilet was reasonably priced and remains a good alternative.
    Anyone that pays suggested retail is getting taken...the real 'street' price on most Toto toilets is significantly less than manufacturer's suggested list...IOW, the more popular models (like the Drake - similar to yours in style) could easily be the same or even less than you paid. You just have to look around. Yes, they do have some very expensive models, sort of like GM, there's the Chevy, then there's the Cadillac.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Anyone that pays suggested retail is getting taken...the real 'street' price on most Toto toilets is significantly less than manufacturer's suggested list...IOW, the more popular models (like the Drake - similar to yours in style) could easily be the same or even less than you paid. You just have to look around. Yes, they do have some very expensive models, sort of like GM, there's the Chevy, then there's the Cadillac.

But I don't NEED or want a new toilet. I have a perfectly good working one that I like. Toto didn't exist 15 years ago so your point is moot.
    Last edited by DIYhomey; 09-10-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

FWIW, Toto opened its plant in Georgia in 1991...21 years ago. So, yes, Toto was around in the USA. The company started nearly 100-years ago, so they're not new to making toilets, either. You don't get to be the biggest in the world by making a lousy product.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014