P Trap Question

Users who are viewing this thread

JAW

Reaction score
Hello, can you tell me if the configuration of the P-trap in my new sink is acceptable? It's working fine, though I had to perform some odd geometry with the 90 degree turns to get it all to line up...and I'm not certain whether what I've done here is legal or good practice (I'm certain it's not best practice.)

Thank you very much.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You were doing good until you got to the wall and put those 3 elbows together. And the elbow out of the disposer was not needed, either.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea, you can't do that. The outlet of the P trap needs to go straight into the adapter where the pipe comes out of the wall. You should be able to shorten up the tail stock coming straight down into the P trap

JAW

Reaction score
Thanks. My problem is if I shorten the tail stock the trap wont line up with the drain pipe coming out of the wall, unless I use one of those flexie accordion pipes, which I am loathe to do. Am I missing something?

Also, is the elbow coming it of the disposal a problem? Im not even certain why I did that, other than I had to get a longer one than the unit came with.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can fold the p-trap so it almost points backwards...you've got plenty of room. I'd also see if you can rotate the disposer 90-degrees so it goes straight to the other sink. As said, you can't have the flow try to go up after the trap outlet...it will flow water since it's lower than the sink, but will clog up with crud.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks to me like he/she will have to use a center outlet continuous waste. Wall outlet seems to be too far from left sink. Might even have
to lower the wall outlet. Terrible thing, I know, but it happens.

JAW

Reaction score
Thanks. I will re-work the whole entire thing sometime next week and post a picture. Appreciate all the feedback.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks