Connecting washing machine hose

Users who are viewing this thread

noobe

Reaction score
Hello, so I got this new washing machine that I need to connect the hose to. Problem is, I am not sure how to connect it. The hose has 2 sides, one is L shaped 90 degrees and the other is straight. According to the manual, the L shaped side should be connected to the washing machine with 45 or 35 degrees bent.

On my old machine, I connected the L shaped side to the water side while connecting the straight side to the machine. So, what is the right way to connect the hose. I am so confused. I do not want to break the new washer.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those 90 degree bends confuse me too.
It depends on you situation. I would look at the hoses both ways and see which way looks best. It may be that the 90 bend works better at the wall shutoffs.

noobe

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, sir. Thing is, the manual is the issue here. I do not know why it insists on bending the hose left or right. Would connecting the hose anyway different than whats shown in the manual affect the washer badly or they are all the same?

Edit: I have the washer in the kitchen, while the water source is in the bathroom. The faucet is very close to the ground, and the hose is passed through the wall in a pipe.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Possibly to avoid a "bump" or high spot on the back of the unit? Also, the connection point may be susceptible to breakage if the hose points straight down and is pushed in or out with some force. Just guesses...

noobe

Reaction score
After checking some other manuals, I decided to go with the L shaped side into the washer. Thanks again for the replies.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The instructions are usually written by someone who has not even seen the machine and is using a description from an engineer. You can use the hoses either way, but the elbows on the machine usually allow it to slide back further without squeezing the hoses. The 35 degree/45 degree recommendaton is probably someone idea of being "cute". Why wouldn't 15 degrees or 25 degrees do the same thing, which is NOTHING as far as the hoses are concerned? Directions like that must be why we do NOT read the installation manuals.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I agree with you hj. However, there was probably a problem uncovered during testing. As an engineer, I can say that the steps involved in getting to the final manual are often way more complicated than you'd think they should be. The 35/45 degree numbers are probably the result of extended debates, what is referred to as "politics", and possibly some stupid lawyer to satisfy.

In the end, just be careful when you move the machine around as the connection point is probably a bit weak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks