(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: H2S, carbon and air input needed

Certainly a valid concern Mikey, and exactly what I'm hoping to figure out. I'd much rather add a chlorination stage than replace the carbon every 6 months, I need the right long term solution.

Shouldn't the carbon precede the softener? Without a chlorinated supply, it would be nice to use a softener valve on the carbon to clean it with bleach occasionally.
    Lifespeed

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Yes; usual sequence is Chlorination->GAC->Softener. Interesting idea about "regenerating" the carbon with chlorine; I'm not knowledgeable enough to pass judgment on that.

I decided to attempt sanitizing the carbon to see if that made an improvement and it did. Not 100%, but better. Also checked one of the toilet tanks and found a thin layer of clear slime, so I'm pretty sure that bacterial growth is either partly responsible for the taste/odor and/or clogging up the carbon preventing it from being as effective.

So my direction now is chlorine injection. Solves any bacterial problem and knocks out iron and H2S. I'll add a pump, solution tank, contact tank, then run to the carbon and finally the softener.

How noisy is the chemilizer? Hard decision because it's so much less expensive than a Stennar and flow switch. I am looking at the 1:500 model specifically.

Any input on 120 gallon contact tank design? Well-mate, Clack, mixing, etc?

Once down this path, I won't need catalytic carbon for H2S, do all carbon types remove the chlorine equally well?

Don't know about the Chemilizer, but a neighbor has a Stenner pump and it seems quite quiet. I've got a Pulsafeeder, and it makes a racket.

I would not recommend a steel retention/contact tank -- too hard to keep clean via periodic draining. The Polyglass/Fiberglas tanks usually have a round bottom and a drain that's very effective. There's also a smaller but claimed equally-effective tank that uses a special mixing chamber you might consider; discussion at http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...od-stuff-or-BS. I've got one, and will be installing it shortly as part of a major reconfiguration of my system. Long discussion of carbon filters at http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...arbon-Filter-s.

I found this video of a chemilizer, I think this may be a bit too noisy for my garage. Dittohead, is this typical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZOtelSJv8

yes I'll get a fiberglass tank, mainly interested in any pros/cons to the different versions like top/bottom in/out of Clack and Well-mate. Not sure why I'd need one with in/out on top and bypass valve, etc. What's the blow down process? Neck it down to a garden hose and run it outside?

For proportional control of a stennar I think I need a fixed rate pump, a pump control module, and a flow meter. Correct?

The way they've mounted that Chemilizer pretty-much guarantees it'll be loud. I think it could be made quieter, but probably not quiet.

The simple blowdown process is you just open the valve on the blowdown line periodically and drain until clear. There are timer-controlled valves available, and you could probably go crazy and control it by analyzing the water somehow to determine when it needs to be blowed down and activate the valve. Simple works pretty good, though. The blowdown on my swirly tank is 3/4", so no necking down required -- just put a standard male hose thread adapter on the outlet.

Here's Stenner's advice on proportional control -- http://www.stenner.com/prod-pcm.htm -- but I don't know of any local homowners going to all that trouble. They usually just connect the pump in parallel with the well pump, but I don't think that's optimal -- depends on the injection point, though. Most use a translucent barrel of some kind for the chlorine solution, with the pump sitting on top of it, but there's a very nice pump and barrel system available from Stenner: http://www.stennerpumps.ca/prod-tanksys.htm.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was at the CarWash show last week and there were many running diplays of the Chemmilizer style of pumps. It has become a very popular design for its simplicity, reliability, and automate proportioning ability. it is definetly noisy walking by any of the booths that had them on display.
    The peristaltic pumps are probably the quietest but the tubes do require regular changing. Diaphragm pumps are also a bit noisy.

I ordered a Stenner pump, solution tank, pcm, flow meter, and a Wellmate 120 gal retention tank. Also ordered 2cf of carbon and some gravel so that I'm ready when my carbon is used up. Big spending day in my world, but I should be ready for anything now.

I forgot to ask what type of chlorine testing equipment is recommended in order to check total and free chlorine levels.

I use Hach for both total (http://www.hach.com/single-parameter...imContext=USen) and free (http://www.hach.com/single-parameter...imContext=USen) chlorine. Pricey but I trust them.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those are excellent kits but for those who cant see color... I use the Sensafe exact micro 7+. It is one of the easiest and most accurate chlorine testers I have found for the price. It is very expensive, and probably completely overkill for a homeowner, but for the service technicians, I highly recommend it.

http://www.sensafe.com/

Are you going to relocate the carbon filter ahead of the softener?
    Lifespeed

Yes I'll reorder the tanks. The order will be pressure tank, particulate filter, chlorine injection, retention, carbon, softener.

That's a lot of tanks. We city dwellers have it easy, water arrives chlorinated and without iron. Hope it de-swamps the water to your satisfaction!
    Lifespeed