Question for Ba9s LED Bulb

Users who are viewing this thread

nicho

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a LED bulb Ba9S type (130V) which has internally an array of 7 LEDS.

All the datasheet mention is Voltage:130V AC/DC +10%, Max Current:5,9mA Colour:White clear

In my circuit the bub is connected directly to a 110V battery and I am trying to add an external resistor to reduce the current into the bulb but before I do that, I would like to figure out the following:

the array of 7 LEDs in a single bulb are connected in series or parallel?
The 5.9mA refers to the current of the single LED of the whole array (if in parallel)?
Can I assume the internal resistor is 21.47kOhm (parallel case, with 3.3V on each diode) or 18.12kOhm (series case)?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Backwards logic. The buls system is rated to operate on 130 volts. You have 110 volts which means you might get 8% less light output than design. WHY would you put a resistor in series or parallel with that to further reduce the voltage and current to the bulb.??

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Backwards logic. The buls system is rated to operate on 130 volts. You have 110 volts which means you might get 8% less light output than design. WHY would you put a resistor in series or parallel with that to further reduce the voltage and current to the bulb.??
I am sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for the answer to that Jimbo. Thats a pretty small bulb package

http://www.bulbtown.com/Miniature_Bayonet_Base_BA9S_s/322.htmtting

:p

Last edited:

nicho

Reaction score
OK, thanks, just a experiment:D

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
More on a answer to the question on operating LEDs at a higher voltage, They should be in series, and matched very close.

Many LEDs have a built in resistor, and if they don't it would be kind of silly to use 1 per LED when 1 can be used for all of them if the LEDs are in series.

LEDs normally short when they burn out, so the remaining ones would have a higher voltage.

If to many of them short then the resistor may open or the fuse link will open.

As far as I know a BA9S is the type of bulb base , not a type of bulb.

I want a 120V battery to experiment with.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
More on a answer to the question on operating LEDs at a higher voltage, They should be in series, and matched very close.

Many LEDs have a built in resistor, and if they don't it would be kind of silly to use 1 per LED when 1 can be used for all of them if the LEDs are in series.

LEDs normally short when they burn out, so the remaining ones would have a higher voltage.

If to many of them short then the resistor may open or the fuse link will open.

As far as I know a BA9S is the type of bulb base , not a type of bulb.

I want a 120V battery to experiment with.
Yah, it is a mini bayonett basse bulb like the good ol' 47 was it?

use 9v batteries in series or the one from your Prius (nope that is over 200 volts) or steal 10 regular car batteries

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I think the 47 and 51 were the most popular in the day.

I would be afraid of using that base for 110 because it seems that it could arc over.

But I think some bulbs with that base go to 220V.

I guess times are a changing.

Electricity must be getting safer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; that's b'cause of all those codes and rules make it that way. rules is rules

And then there are the rednecks who say, "Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules". Or the DIYer who says, "I want to do it this way. Will someone please tell me it is okay to do it, because I will probably do it anyway".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks