(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen Double sink

Default Kitchen Double sink

I am installing a double kitchen sink in an existing room (new Kitchen). The drain will come up through the floor. Are there any preferences for 1) Stub height, 2) Drain centered or offset in the cabinet, anything else I should look out for or plan for? If you had some guideline dimensions that would be great!

Thanx,
    McD

WIth the drain up thru the floor, how are you dealing with the vent to avoid an S-trap? As for height, there are rules of thumb, but often using that if you put in a deeper sink, the stub is too high. Take measurements on what you are putting in

Since it is a new installation, and you are coming out of the floor, which is seldom a good idea, but done by DIYers and handymen frequently when they are not getting inspections, you can cut it to fit when you connect to the sink. Doing it your way it is seldom a good idea to locate the riser close to the sink's drains.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

The cabinet is going against a finished wall under a window so up through the floor is how it will be installed (H2O also). I will need to install an air admittance valve. Wish I wasn't but they are leagal here and will have to do. I will adjust the height of the drain but what about the position in the cabinet... center drain front to back and left to right or some offset left to right, etc. Is there a better/preferred spot in the cabinet?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Depends somewhat on the shape and size of the sink you plan to install. You don't really want to waste most of the useable space underneath the sink by having it too far forward. Then, keep in mind it has to continue up as high as possible and still be able to remove the AAV for replacment. When I redid my mother's that way (it originally had an S-trap from the 50's), her sink was sized and located in the counter such that I could get all of this behind the sink and still make the connections, leaving her with a good portion of the cabinet for storage. You could also do it to the side near the back and not waste too much space, giving you access to the AAV. Depends on both the cabinet size and sink size.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

You have to consider that wherever you place the riser it has to be far enough away from the sink drain so you can instll the P trap.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber