Draining domestic waterline from house to cistern

Users who are viewing this thread

shavron

Reaction score
I have a new to me vacation home in the North East corner in TN. The house is about 1800 feet in elevation. So the water is city water that comes into a cistern. With a float valve. The other end is a Gould pump with PVC pipe. The line from cistern to the house is approx. 100 feet in elevation. The top of the cistern is just above ground and the pipe leaving is not that deep. My concern is the line freezing, the house was previously a full time residence and bought it as a foreclosure. Can I simply put a PVC T with a PVC ball valve in the house and one before the pump ? Or am I going to create problems with all the pressure on a glued joint and PVC ball valve. My goal is to be able to drain the line between the house and cistern. What is the best way to do this.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A ball valve at the bottom should be all you need. You can just open a faucet at the house to let air in as long as there are no check valves in the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks