Tailpiece to Trap Rerouting?

Users who are viewing this thread

DJL

Reaction score
Hello. I'm installing a new double bowl kitchen sink and faucet. We are also strongly considering getting rid of the disposal since we don't use it AND since we are thinking it will provide more usable space in the left cabinet if we get rid of it. Also, note that there is a dishwasher drain line connected to the disposal, though you can't see it in the picture.

Is there any way to reroute the piping between the tailpiece and trap on the left bowl, so as to maximize usable space on that side of the cabinet? The red line in the picture shows the possible modification I'm talking about. The green line in the picture represents the area I'm trying to free up so I can install a trash/recycling pullout on that side.

If my idea (red line in pic) is not recommended, then is there any other way to maximize the usable space on the left? There's a lot of space in this cabinet, and it seems a waste to not be able to use some of it.

sink.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some places require separate traps, so allow you to utilize one in this situation. If you can get by with only one with your local code, you could cut and cap the trap arm to the left with enough stub to be able to reuse it at a later date, and redo the right-hand one to cross over, connecting both, then dropping to the trap on the right. They make those cross-overs with a baffle so draining one side doesn't back up into the other (more important with a disposer, but an issue with the pump on the DW, too), and you can get them with a DW tailpiece.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Piece of cake. Pull the disposal and install a new sink basket and a continuous waste and re-use your old P trap. Cap off the unused drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Get a 'direct connection" continuous waste and it will be up near the bottom of the sinks and give you maximum space. When you use this, your "red line" will continue to the other drain and connect to it with the included tee. Unless it was really piped to connect that way, twhich would be very unusual, the lower opening should have been a "Cleanout", not a drain connection.

Last edited:

DJL

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your responses. It sounds to me like all three responses point, more or less, to the same solution --> use a continuous waste and cap off or convert the bottom opening to a cleanout. That is assuming that "a crossover with a baffle" is the same thing as a "continous waste"?

hj, that is an interesting observation about the lower opening probably should have been a "cleanout". I had never considered this. I think I had assumed (without any actual knowledge) that perhaps my city's code required two drain pipes, one to each bowl.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; that perhaps my city's code required two drain pipes, one to each bowl.

That would NEVER be a requirement, and even if it were, the openings would have been arranged differently. I am not sure what you mean by "crossover with a baffle" because that has a specific meaning and would have nothing to do with a sink drain. The continuous waste tee, WILL have a baffle.

DJL

Reaction score
...I am not sure what you mean by "crossover with a baffle" ...

I was quoting what jadnashua, the second post on this thread had described. That post said

...redo the right-hand one to cross over, connecting both, then dropping to the trap on the right. They make those cross-overs with a baffle so draining one side doesn't back up into the other...

I'm guessing by "crossover", jadnashua was also referring to a continuous waste? Not sure though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not a professional plumber! I knew it needed to be a part with the baffle...sometimes, the 'proper' names evade me!? but you got the idea.

DJL

Reaction score
Hehe....well, you know much more about plumbing than me! ;) Even though the term "continuous waste" was not used in your reply, I was mostly certain that you were describing the same idea as the other two responses. Thanks again!

Now I have to get to installing that sink. It just arrived yesterday. But wouldn't you know it, I think my drain line to my dishwasher is now clogged. I get a "faucet" symbol on the display and a bunch of beeping during each cycle. Guess that will have to take priority over the new sink!

DJL

Reaction score
Still trying to figure this stuff out. I want to use an end outlet continuous waste, as suggested in this thread, but my dishwasher is to the left of the sink and the DW drain hose will be too short to attach to the end outlet's DW branch, which will be all the way to the right. Do I need to extend the DW drain hose? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

Also, are you supposed to slope the waste arm of the continuous waste? If so, how do I accomplish the slope or is the slope built in to the continuous waste to begin with?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks