Venting through exterior wall for basement bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Squints2See

Reaction score
Hello,

I am helping a friend redo a basement bathroom. The old bathroom appears to never have been vented, so I will need to add some kind of venting. The problem is that there is no real way to get a pipe thru the first floor up thru the roof to vent it. Is it possible that it can be vented out the exterior basement wall thru the rim joist as long as it is not near any windows? If this is not possible, I guess my only choice would be to use an AAV?

We are in WV which seems to use the 2009 IPC. However, there is no inspections done as this is outside of city limits. So we are not to concerned with what exactly the code specifies, but more concerned with using a method that is proven and will work.

Thanks...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Exterior venting as you describe is done when keeping it inside is impossible or impractical. You want to be sure you have a slight slope to the inside so any water that gets into the pipe has an exit. I would put a U (2-90's) on the top to keep rain and snow from getting in, and a screen to keep insects and birds out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the drains have at least one path to the existing vent, you may be able to use an AAV. I'm not sure about the codes, but you probably don't want to, nor may not be allowed to, terminate the vent low - you may need to run it up the side of the house above the roof. Otherwise, depending on the winds, you may be smelling it all around the house.

Squints2See

Reaction score
The only other way that I could vent the basement bathroom and washroom fixtures would be to tie into a kitchen sink drain and use it as a wet vent. The kitchen sink is upstairs so Im pretty sure current code doesn't allow this however, there are no inspections here. As far as my three options of running a vent to the outside thru the rim joist, using an AAV, or tying into the upstairs kitchen sink drain and wet venting, which would be the best option?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends somewhat on what you care about asthetics. An atmospheric vent techincally is probably the best. Keep in mind, an AAV can only let air in, not out, and depending on what is being vented, sometimes it works best to allow air out on occasion as water rushes along. I wouldn't wet vent...it's not to code (only a single bathroom can be wet vented, and it still needs a proper vent somewhere within - what you describe is not a proper wet vent situation, assuming I understand things properly).

An AAV can't be the ONLY vent on those fixtures. Being in the basement, there may not be a reliable path to the existing house vent, so it cannot be used by itself.

I'm not a pro, so take this with a grain of salt...just lots of lurking and learning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks