Another "whatta you think post"

Users who are viewing this thread

u.s.coins

Reaction score
if you had a chance to buy a gas fired water tank ten or more years old, still in the box, never opened, would you buy it? if not, why? just curious. :rolleyes:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is illegal to install such a water heater due to new safety codes

that have been enacted since that wtr/htr was mfg.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It was illegal to continue manufacturing but no problem with selling and buying existing stock. Distributors bought truckloads of prior product of the flame safeguard systems required. Perhaps this is one of those. But I wouldn't buy it if I was concerned about warranty. Most start warranty 18 months after manufactured date regardless of install date.

u.s.coins

Reaction score
It was illegal to continue manufacturing but no problem with selling and buying existing stock. Distributors bought truckloads of prior product of the flame safeguard systems required. Perhaps this is one of those. But I wouldn't buy it if I was concerned about warranty. Most start warranty 18 months after manufactured date regardless of install date.

i wouldn't be concerned with a warranty surely, but i don't think i would put it out for the trash man either. i think that would be a colossal waste to discard whether or not it was considered obsolete. jmho

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Water heater warrantees either begin the day they were manufactured, or three months later. I have never heard of an 18 month free period. Sell the heater at a big discount and "as is". Now, if you were in the California SCAQMD district, it could not be sold or installed, because it would not meet the air quality

Last edited:

u.s.coins

Reaction score
Water heater warrantees either begin the day they were manufactured, or three months later. I have never heard of an 18 month free period. Sell the heater at a big discount and "as is". Now, if you were in the California SCAQMD district, it could not be sold or installed, because it would not meet the air quality

i guess it could be installed secretly, though. ;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A recent one is likely more efficient, from both better insulation and burner tech. In the long run, a new one might save money and provide the required protection. Now, is that protection worth the potential hassles...not if you have any sense, but many of the codes are written for people that don't have any common sense and are designed to protect people from themselves or a momentary lapse of judgment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks