AO Smith GPSH 50 100 Anode replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Dshow

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an AO Smith GPSH 50 100 water heater that was purchased in 2004. For the last few weeks, I have noticed on the top, the gasket under the blower assembly has been wet and there is water in the catch pan under the heater. I removed the blower and all the connections to the heater were wet (cold, hot, and anode). I found a lose connection in the cold water connection and tightened it up and dried everything out with my shop vac blower. This morning, the gasket is wet again but the hot and cold connections were dry, so I suspect the anode connection is leaking so I was going to replace the anode. The questions I have are:
1) Could it be anything else other than the anode? (I don't think the blower would suck water up from the bottom...)
2) Any suggestions on replacing the anode? Besides calling someone, the only other option I have is replacing the unit which I can do myself. (I've read the heater is a dog. Mine won't stay lit and locks out the ignitor every now and then, I've sanded the temp probe and that helps a little)

Thanks for the help!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the venting isn't done right or the power vent is failing, you could be getting condensation dripping back onto the top of the unit.

Dshow

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that was the issue, but the fact that when I took the power vent off the vent tube itself was dry and the vent drainage tube was dry led me to think it was something else. I have read about a couple of others who have had this issue and it may be a cracked tank... :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks