A question for the trades pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Given the 2 options, if you need to run external conduit, would you choose steel anyday over PVC ?
Steel has always been Code and King out here in NYC. Current code afaik allows PVC for structures 3 stories and less.

Love to hear the pros/cons.
Pro's I suppose is that it's a solvent weld, and you can heat it up and *bend* the radius very easily.
I wouldn't say it looks cheap, but after seeing steel pipe for so long, when I do see it + the lettermarking on the plastic, it does sorta look cheap.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Given the 2 options, if you need to run external conduit, would you choose steel anyday over PVC ?
There would be many factors in choosing the raceway method
Steel has always been Code and King out here in NYC. Current code afaik allows PVC for structures 3 stories and less.
That must be some sort of Yankee thing as PVC can be installed on any high rise building.

Love to hear the pros/cons.
Don’t know any pros or cons
Pro's I suppose is that it's a solvent weld, and you can heat it up and *bend* the radius very easily.
Never found anything easy when bending PVC unless you are one of those who don’t care how it looks
I wouldn't say it looks cheap, but after seeing steel pipe for so long, when I do see it + the lettermarking on the plastic, it does sorta look cheap.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; is it even acceptable to melt and bend PVC conduit??

If it were not, then a lot of companies are making "bending ovens" for nothing. Even though PVC conduit is marked "sunlight resistant" it will still become brittle if not painted to resist UV deterioration. Obviously, exposed PVC is much more easily damaged than metal conduit, and don't chain your Doberman to it. The "three story rule" also applies to plumbing PVC. It has to do with the flamablitly and toxic odors of PVC in a fire. They assume that the fumes will be manageable up to that point but beyond that they could be life threatening because of escape times and routes.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
No we don’t melt it we just heat it until it is pliable and then bend it keeping the bending radios outlined in Chapter 9 of the NEC.

What makes it so hard is should there be a need to make two bends keeping the pipe straight can be a chore.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Steel would provide better physical protection. It also is heavier, costlier, and can rust. Not so good in salt water areas also.
PVC is cheaper, needs extra strapping, decays when exposed to UV, and is easily damaged. It also emits toxic smoke when burned.
A clear question of your application would make the choice easier to suggest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks