(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UPC Code question about water service sizing

If the city approved the plumbing diagram and the pipe sizes on it, then even with their caveat they could have some, or a lot of, liability if the plumber installed it that way.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    If the city approved the plumbing diagram and the pipe sizes on it, then even with their caveat they could have some, or a lot of, liability if the plumber installed it that way.

It is like blaming the pipe layer for getting a bad lay.

The inspector is to blame , not the plumper, even if he had his head up his ass when he installed it.

It is to late now, and the homeowner will lose. You can not fight city hall, and they must have already approved it.

That is how I see it.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Not only should the sprinkler system not run through the regulator, it must be separated from the domestic supply with an approved back flow prevention device which is to be certified annually. These are federally required, but not all cities pay attention to the law. Also, with a pressure regulator, even though it is not needed to reduce you pressure, you need a thermal expansion tank. Get rid of the regulator and no need for the expansion tank.

other than the plumber doing it his way i don't think there ever was a plan. electrical shows on the plans that i have seen but no plumbing other than the location of the drains. could the lack of water have anything with the toilets plugging up? more in 1 1/2 years than our previous house of 25 years. thanks again-mike mann

Quote Originally Posted by mike mann View Post
    other than the plumber doing it his way i don't think there ever was a plan. electrical shows on the plans that i have seen but no plumbing other than the location of the drains. could the lack of water have anything with the toilets plugging up? more in 1 1/2 years than our previous house of 25 years. thanks again-mike mann

As long as the toilets fill then they should flush.

I would say No.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The quality of the toilet and proper drain pipe installation (well, what you put down it can make a difference too, at least to a point) are what determine how well a toilet flushes. They are NOT all created equal, and some of the old standbys do not always produce reliable, quality products. As long as the water level in the tank is proper, the toilet's not plugged, and the flapper opens the proper amount of time to release the design amount of water, that's as good as the toilet gets. Some are a lot better than others. Water pressure has nothing to do with it (unless you're using a pressure assist or Flowmaster type flushing system). You need enough pressure to operate the fill valve, but other than that, volume in and of itself is not a factor...it may just take longer to refill.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014