(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Culligan Ironcleer System failure

Hybrid View

Default Culligan Ironcleer System failure

My Ironcleer system recently died - apparently it the compressor died. I have only had the system for 5 years, so I have a couple questions:
    1) How is the stress on the system related to the work that the compressor does? ie. is there additional 'work' that the compressor does per cycle if the iron in the water is higher?
    2) What is the average life span of a compressor?
    3) Given that I paid $3500 for this unit, that works out to $700/year to remove iron from my water. Is this a reasonable cost?

Thanks and Regards,

Obviously the more iron and the more water you use, the more the compressor runs but you should get more than 5 years out of it. Unfortunately, I suspect it's out of warranty and to make things worse, you can probably only get another one from Culligan but maybe you can go with some other makers pump.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cost is relative. You may look to replace it with a different design in the future. There are several reputable companies that sell Iron removal units. I prefer the ultra simple Pyrolox type of units that simply backwash every couple of days. Air injection can be added for a minimal cost. Other common and simple designs are the chlorine injection/contact tank/ backwash GAC systems. Chlorine can be injected by a pellet design, water pump, or electric pump. All three are good and each has their advantages and disadvantages. Iron removal can be tricky, do you have a recent water test so we can make a better recommendation?

Is the compressor leaking water or not putting out air?