washer & sink hookup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Phantomvs

Reaction score
Ok so here is the story, the wife wanted a sink next to the washer.

So i did a rough-in and she ran the washer and once i got a little water backup (about 1 cup) into the sink drain.

Is this done correctly or what would you guys change?

I know it should be a 2'' abs tube but its a 1 1/2'' and everything was fine till i added sink.

I am thinking its because the drain for the sink is below the washer , but the reason i did it that way is cause if not the drain would be too high (18'' +) for the sink.

Any ideas ?

BTW where you see the orange wire it leads to a AAV and main drain is coming from the right side.

Thanks in advance !! wdrain.jpgwasherdrain.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the connection to the sink was a wye rather than a sanitary T, it might work better. Or, maybe a double-wye to keep the overall length down. Wait for a pro to comment, as I probably am missing something...

Phantomvs

Reaction score
You see my main problem is that i need to keep the height down.

If i put the sink above washer it will be too high. How can i have both on the main branch without raising sink level.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Instead of trying to wet vent a washer over a sink, (which would never be allowed in any plumbing code, even if it had been run in 2")
Cut in a wye for the washer to the right, go up to a "Santee" for the trap arm.
For the sink, continue on from the wye horizontal and use a combo fitting for the vent on the trap arm. Now the two vents, the washer vent and the sink vent can tie together at 42" above the floor.

Running a washer past a sink drain is a problem.

Wet venting can only be done on bathroom groups.

Wet venting requires 2" or larger piping.

A wye fitting on the vertical on a trap arm, is an "S" vent. It will siphon the trap. A Santee should be on the vertical for a traparm.

Last edited:

Phantomvs

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the help.

Just 1 question, when you say the washer and sink vent can tie together do you mean i use only 1 vent (AAV) or tie together with no vent or double vent ?

Thanks !

Matt

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A vent is always required.
You can tie vents together and use one AAV as long as you have an atmospheric vent somewhere on the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks