moved gas stove... now it won't work???

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hopefully we've got someone here who is familiar with gas appliances. We have LPG (propane) for cooking & heat. I bought a new stove to replace the old not so good looking one in the house. The old one I moved to the guest house. In order to plumb the LPG to the guest house I put a Tee and valve at the tank and ran 1/2" black iron pipe 50 ft. to the appliance where I put another shut off valve. There is otherwise absolutely nothing different about this stove or the installation than in the main house. I've got plenty of gas pressure (no way to check pressure but know it's as good or better than in the main house). When I turn the gas on the pressure reducer (regulator) on the stove shuts off the gas.... completely... and the stove will not light. I've removed the line from the regulator to the burner and when I turn the gas on can hear it rushing through the regulator then shut it completely off so that it won't even produce bubbles when checked with soapy water. Would I be correct to assume this is a problem caused by a malfunction of the regulator????

I did nothing to the stove other than move it from the house on one side of the drive way to the one on the other side... maybe 75 ft. No accidents, no unusual banging around, nothing obvious that might cause damage.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you put your T before or after the main regulator on the tank? It must be after.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Of course it's after the main regulator on the tank. The other side of the tee runs gas to the main house and everything there works perfectly as before. To me... logic tells me that for some reason it may be getting too much pressure but then I don't know much about how gas regulators act/react.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Of course it's after the main regulator on the tank. The other side of the tee runs gas to the main house and everything there works perfectly as before.

On occasion, even the supposedly obvious doesn't compute, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Try restricting the flow to the new stove by throttling one of the shut-off valves?

I tried that and it did seem to help at least slow down the time it takes the regulator to shut the gas off. I'm kind of leaning toward thinking the house may have another regulator underneath it since the line from the tank also supplies gas to a heat pump and both lines coming off of the tank are the same size (1/2" soft copper) for at least 10 ft. Being somewhat of an extreme handy man myself I'd hate to stoop down to it but may just have to call the gas company to figure this one out.... that would really take the fun out of everything....

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are often TWO regulators on the system, an intermediate one at the tank and a low pressure one at the house. You have connected to the intermediate one and its "high" pressure locks the appliance regulator. IF you operated the stove without the appliance regulator, you might have flames up to the ceiling. As an aside, black steel pipe is the absolute worse material you could have used for a buried gas pipe. It is not approved by any plumbing or gas code and would have been immediately rejected if you had gotten an inspection.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks... the high pressure is exactly what I suspected. As for the iron pipe... thanks again, learn something new every day tho' I definitely have seen miles of it... and it doesn't get damaged as bad when somebody hits it with a shovel digging in their yard. Pros & cons on everything... My experience with copper is that it gets pin holes in it after a while unless it is sheathed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks