The CST454CUFG Drake II 1G is up on the Toto Web Site

Users who are viewing this thread

EverythingsWet

Reaction score
Newbie question:
Can the 1.0 tank flushing mechanisms be easily swapped out for the 1.28 innards??
I prefer the slimmer look of the 1.0 tank along with its flat-back design but would prefer the 1.28 flush performance if it'll work on the smaller tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Newbie question:
Can the 1.0 tank flushing mechanisms be easily swapped out for the 1.28 innards??
I prefer the slimmer look of the 1.0 tank along with its flat-back design but would prefer the 1.28 flush performance if it'll work on the smaller tank.

It's the same tank, different parts. (Wrong Answer)
Edit 2/1/2017
Different tanks, same bowl.

Last edited:

EverythingsWet

Reaction score
Same tank? Doesn't the 1 gal tank have a flat back (side against the wall) vs the curve with the 1.28?
Or do you mean same tank as in "same enough" to swap out the parts even though the shape and dimensions are different??
Perhaps I'm confused as Toto lists them as separate model #s:
ST454E
ST453U
toto tanks.png

And if they can easily be swapped out, would some adjustment be necessary to use the 1.28 innards in the narrower volume 1 gal tank to achieve 1.28 (or greater) flush?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Right, different tanks.

Both the 1.28 and the 1.0 allow you to hold the handle down longer and drain the entire tank for more water.
I have not tried swapping the parts over.

EverythingsWet

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for clarifying.
I may have to investigate... it appears the 1.28 setup has a simpler flush mechanism but I do like the trimmer/tighter look of the 1 gal tank.
Actually we had ordered a complete Drake II 1.28 through Home Depot online to be picked up locally. But the first time the tank arrived shattered... so it was re-ordered and.... 2nd time... arrived shattered as well!! Now waiting for the 3rd attempt, but this time I ordered 2 of them just to up the odds... fingers crossed.
The bowl was fine, surprisingly (I think), since it was simply contained in a cardboard box with ZERO padding-- is this the norm for manufacturers?? I'm guessing a very high percentage of these toilets simply gets written off as damaged in shipping. So wasteful.

When we finally will have the darn thing installed... patiently waiting, gonna see about getting a 1.0 Drake II for another bath. But we may have to order 4 or 5 complete units just to net 1 that isn't DOA ((

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's why I don't ship toilets. I've sold thousands in the Seattle area that are all perfect. Once you put them as a single item on a delivery van with someone that tosses them off the truck, it's going to turn out badly.

compiler

Reaction score
I installed two Toto recently. All are 1.60 gpf. This is because 1.60 gpf can be easy to convert to 1.28 gpf by adjusting the water level, for example, add something into the tank but it's not easy to convert 1.28 gpf to 1.60 gpf. Once one's state does not allow the 1.60 gpf toilet, it will be very difficulty to find or have the 1.60 gpf toilet delivered to one's home. So one may reconside 1.28 or 1.0 gpf but go for 1.60 gpf. In addition, get one with ADA complient.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Once your state does not allow the 1.60gpf toilet, it will be very difficulty to find or have the 1.6gpf toilet delivered to one's home.

I don't know why you're worried about that. I have a couple of the 1.28's and they work fine. I had an Aquia that flushed with less than a gallon, and that worked well too. The 1.0 GPF Drake II is working just fine.
If someone wants more bowl rinse or push, just hold the handle a bit longer instead of releasing right away.

compiler

Reaction score
I don't know why you're worried about that. I have a couple of the 1.28's and they work fine. I had an Aquia that flushed with less than a gallon, and that worked well too. The 1.0 GPF Drake II is working just fine.
If someone wants more bowl rinse or push, just hold the handle a bit longer instead of releasing right away.

I mean the store will not deliver 1.60 GPF toilet to one's home if one's state joins the California High Efficiency Toilet (HET) standards. I have just experienced with it because of the delivery restrictions and I have to asked the store manager for a help. As for why choosing 1.60 GPF it is easy to convert 1.60 GPF to 1.28 or even less but not vice verse. Why should people hold the lever longer or flush twice? Some web site has negative comments on the Toto 1.28GPF toilet such as noisy, two flush etc but 1.60GPF problem seems only on the water consumption. Who cares a little more water consumption except for the government. Plus, the 1.60 GPF toilet usually has a little more MaP and a little quieter than 1.28GPF toilet as well as cheaper.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks