The CST454CUFG Drake II 1G is up on the Toto Web Site

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Just noticed that the "Drake II 1G" is now shown among the Drakes on the Toto web site. There's a photo, but no literature yet.

Different tank and trip lever (not as attractive to me as Drake II regular tank).

CST454CUFG and CST454CUFRG Right hand

List price $580; for comparison the Drake II list is $536.
http://terrylove.biz/toilets/8-toto-drake-ii-1g.html

Terry's price in Seattle is $399.99
http://www.savingwater.org/Rebates/index.htm

cst454cufg_zoom.jpg

Drake II 1G,CST454CUFG, Water Surface 6-7/8" x 8-7/8"
Drake II, CST454CEFG, Water Surface 7-1/8" x 9-1/8"

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The picture I see on the site is a left-hand trip lever, and I don't see any downloads (where the spec sheet, parts list, etc. usually are), so I don't see any variants (like a CUFRG) shown yet. Shows 1 color for now, Cotton White.

This is what I was talking about: http://www.totousa.com/drake®-ii-1g-two-piece-toilet-10-gpf-elongated-bowl

I have to say that at least in this photo, the new tank seems a little boxier. I think I like the sleekness of the original Drake II tank better.

cst454cufg-shelves.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Ah. Could just be a reversed photo, or maybe they will make an "R" version. If they're starting with only one color, though, it seems like maybe they're concentrating on filling the initial demand with just one product. Don't know.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Spec sheet just became available at the link in my post above. There will be an R option. Available in Cotton White only, I assume for now.

CST454CUF(R)G Spec Sheet

The new spec sheet actually gives a little more info than previous Toto spec sheets. For example, they now give the distance from the back of the china footprint to the finished wall (so you can calculate whether your floor molding is going to ice your installation), not just the minimum distance between finished wall and tank (here, 5/8"). They also show the shape of the footprint, although there are no useful measurements.

Not surprisingly, the bowl for the 1G is different from the bowl for the Drake II.

SamC

Reaction score
Have you found any info indicating what specifically they changed, other than the flapper, to make it work well with 1 gallon? You said the bowl is different from the Drake II; any details? Is the waterline higher in the tank?
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst454cufg_spec.pdf

cst454cufg_tank_parts.jpg

Fill Valve TSU53A
Flush Valve Thu396
Gasket Seal for Flush Valve 9BU094

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have no details beyond what they have said publicly, which is that double-cyclone plus CEFIONTECT allows more water to be used in the siphon jet for a good flush. Looks like they optimized the trapway, as well.

I do know that it has been said that people should be able to have them delivered by early October.

I don't know about the waterline in the tank. I do know that it is 1.5 inches narrower than the Drake II tank (15" instead of 16.5") and, accordingly, is deeper than the tank on the Drake II.

I'm sure that Terry is privy to a lot more info than I on this.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This is exciting! Given that 1G is a real step forward on water-saving, I expected that Terry would be interested in this toilet. However, it does depart from one of Toto's prime advantages, which is that their gravity toilets use straightforward, no-gimmick, readily-available parts. This thing has yet another fill valve and a complicated-looking flush mechanism. I assume that the fill valve can still be replaced with a 528MP (or TSU99A.X), and that the flush mechanism may be in place to effect a highly-precise metering of the water.

Nevertheless, as I hadn't seen any comments from Terry on the toilet yet, I wondered whether he was just operating under the principle of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". It's nice to know that there was a more simple explanation, which was that the toilets weren't yet widely-available.

The few user reviews that I was able to find around the web seem quite positive, but the early-adopters of a toilet like this are likely to be fairly-forgiving as one would assume that they bought it primarily for its benefits to the environment. I am very interested in Terry's take on it once he has installed one and received the owner's feedback.

Jcanavera

Reaction score
Just bought mine over the Internet. Toto said that list price is about $40 more than the 1.28 g model.

This was my first experience in buying or installing a toilet so I was somewhat apprehensive. Bottom line the old Cadet which was 25 years old came out easily. I decided to use a Sani-Seal rather than a wax ring. I'm glad I made that choice cause I can tell you I probably would have ruined a wax one since I did move the toilet around more that what a wax seal would have allowed. All in all it went so well that I'm seriously considering replacing the other toilet in the house. I replaced the toilet in the main bathroom due to the fact that the underwater area had turned dark and we were having to use a pumice stone to get out the stain, only to have it come back within days. The other reason was my wife has bad knees and she wanted an ADA height toilet.

I've been to too many newer homes that have the low water flush toilets only to be disappointed that it took 2 flushes many time to clear the bowl. I did my research and while the Toto is higher priced, we are extremely happy with the flushing power. Just a quick flick of the handle clears all liquid waste, and you can hold the handled slightly longer to dispense a little more water if you wish. The sanigloss finish? Well it's okay but you can't say it is absolutely perfect. We have a very soft brush that we use instead of the old bowl brush. We use liquid dish soap to clean the bowl.

I noted that with the solid performance and easy installation of the new Toto, and after plunging the Cadet in the other bathroom for the third time in three weeks, I'm ready to possibly get a matching Toto for the other bathroom (even though I'm not having the difficulty with stains like the other one). I have a good feeling that this will positively affect the water usage in the house. Those original Cadets were put in over 25 years ago and no one in this part of the country cared about low water units. Here's a picture of the finished installation.

Toto1.jpg
toto.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Great job! Nice installation! Nice complete review! Thanks for sharing.

I would love to see a photo of the inside of the tank, if you get a chance.

Thanks!

drake-1g-03.jpg

Jcanavera

Reaction score
Awesome! That flush cable arrangement is fascinating. Looks like the interior is solid and set to last a while. Thanks again!

PS Hard to believe that that's your first install. You really did a nice job!
Thanks! The instructions were clear and I watched the sani-seal videos so I was pretty prepared as to how to do this. The Internet makes a pretty good teacher.

robbiesd

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing our last old basement toilet. We now have a Drake and a Vespin, both 1.6 gpf 2 pc units that I installed quite some time ago, love them both! I also like the Sanigloss coating and the simplicity of them. In looking for the basement I see the 1.28 gpf Drake II and the new 1.0 gpf Drake II that's the latest & greatest. It makes me want to consider buying the 1.0 gpf to replace the 1.6 Drake, and move it to the basement since that ones less used. But I don't see much history on the 1.0 yet. I'd like to think TOTO wouldn't release a product that was sub-par, but I also like other's opinions. Any more feedback to add on using the 1.0 Drake II? Anyone else have suggestions on which Drake to buy? Original, 1.28 or 1.0 Drake II?
Robbie

Jcanavera

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing our last old basement toilet. We now have a Drake and a Vespin, both 1.6 gpf 2 pc units that I installed quite some time ago, love them both! I also like the Sanigloss coating and the simplicity of them. In looking for the basement I see the 1.28 gpf Drake II and the new 1.0 gpf Drake II that's the latest & greatest. It makes me want to consider buying the 1.0 gpf to replace the 1.6 Drake, and move it to the basement since that ones less used. But I don't see much history on the 1.0 yet. I'd like to think TOTO wouldn't release a product that was sub-par, but I also like other's opinions. Any more feedback to add on using the 1.0 Drake II? Anyone else have suggestions on which Drake to buy? Original, 1.28 or 1.0 Drake II?
Robbie

Unfortunately Robbie, I haven't had any Toto toilets before to give you any comparisons to. So far we continue to be very happy with the 1.0 gpf. Happy enough at this point that I added a Washlet S350e to the toilet. I'm probably going to order another 1.0 gpf Drake ii in the near future to replace our other 25 year old American Standard. One of the nice things about the e series Washlets is that they spray down the sides of the bowl prior to and after usage. The Sanigloss finish is not the end all and depending upon the user, we find that the brush has to be used if you don't want to offend the next person using the toilet. I love the video where someone uses some type of pen to draw a circle around the bowl and to watch the flush remove the circle. :rolleyes:

Jack

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Customers can receive a $30 rebate when they purchase a new WaterSense-labeled high-efficiency toilet (HET). Beginning June 1, 2013, a $75 rebate will be available for the purchase of the new generation of WaterSense toilets called PremiumWaterSense. Premium toilets flush at 1.06 gallons per flush (gpf) and include American Standard, Niagara, Toto, Kohler and Pro-Flow models.[/TD]

Eligibility Requirements:

• Customers must reside within the Saving Water Partnership service territory.
  • Only one WaterSense eligible toilet per household will be rebated. Check for eligible toilets by using the EPA's WaterSense product search before purchasing a toilet.
454cefg_454cufg.jpg

Drake II CST454CEFG and Drake II 1G, CST454CUFG

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks