(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: water spot size?

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Hey, Charles2, I did a little open-seat research for you...
    Hey thanks. What's the difference between the SS114 and SS204 soft close seats? And between the SC534 and SC134 seats?

I see now that the SC134 has a cover and the SC534 doesn't, but still can't discern the difference between the soft close seats. Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by charles2 View Post
    I see now that the SC134 has a cover and the SC534 doesn't, but still can't discern the difference between the soft close seats. Anybody?
    Appearance. The ss204 has a wide-back design that makes it look like a complete oval on the top of the toilet and is a top-mount design. The SS114 has the nuts under the toilet, and a different look. Everybody has the wrong picture of the current SS114 unless you look at totousa.com, and to see it there, enter ss114#01 in the search box, otherwise it doesn't come up.

Quote Originally Posted by brucet99 View Post
    I found my Toto toilet at National Builders Supply, Austell GA, delivered to my door in SoCal in 5 days for $100 less than at a local discount plumbing supply. They actually packed the original cartons in bigger boxes surrounded by packing peanuts foamed in place with expanding foam.
    They're still doing it that way. Order arrived today.

Awesome. If you would, I'd love to know how the install goes and your impressions of the toilet quality, flush, etc., and how your clients like it. After using "regular" toilets elsewhere for a couple of days, I was newly-amazed today at how fast the flapper opens and closes on the Drake, and how quick and effective the flush is. I remember that one family member at first thought the Drake was "broken", because it all happened so fast. I am always interested in what other people think about the whole thing.

PS I know you know how to install a toilet, but for what it's worth the directions for the Drake install are pretty good, and show a good method for determining how tight to make the tank to eliminate wobble. And of course there is Jamie Love's overview of how to install a Drake on the Drake review thread.

And you probably know this as well, but you need to bring your own wax ring and closet bolts to the party, and maybe a new supply line.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 09-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.

I was a bit disappointed to see Made in Mexico instead of Made in Georgia. My plumbing sub said the installation was typical for him. However, after he left I saw that he didn't read the directions so the tank wobbles. But it doesn't leak, the clients haven't complained and are very impressed with the flush.

What do you mean "maybe" a new supply? Are you forgetting what got replaced? :-)

The Drake gets made in Georgia, Vietnam, Mexico and perhaps other places. In our house, two of the four components (2 tanks, 2 bowls) are from the US, and one each from Vietnam and Mexico. If you got the Korky fill valve inside, that part is made here. The good news is that the quality is pretty uniform across plants, unlike the Hecho en Mexico American Standard products. My Vietnam bowl matches my US tank just perfectly, for example. Hope you didn't feel misled.

If you want to eliminate wobble, you can always empty the tank, loosen the tank bolts, and retighten the right way. Anyway, glad they like the flush. Mission accomplished.

On the supply, all I meant was that it wasn't in the box, so unless you wanted to reuse the old water supply line, you needed a new one. I follow Terry's recommendation that one change the supply line when one changes the toilet, but I know it isn't always absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 09-20-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Question

Well, almost a year has passed and the same clients want another toilet. Is the Toto CST744 still the best choice?

It's still a great value! We still love ours!

The CST744EL (the 1.28gpf version) now is available with the option of a different-look tank. It's a little more money for the new-look tank. That would be CST744ELN. The bowl is the same. The old tank is still available (and I still like its look better) under CST744EL. If you want that 1.6gpf flush, than you want the one you bought last time, which is CST744SL. (S for 1.6, E for 1.28)

The Drake II, again for more money, is also a fine toilet and has become one of Toto's most popular. CST454CEFG. It has a "dual cyclone" flush that gives a little-better bowl wash. And it comes at "universal height" for no extra charge.

However, if the clients like the ADA-height 1.6gpf Drake that they have, another one is probably the best value out there!
    Last edited by wjcandee; 09-16-2013 at 01:37 PM.