Jet pump to submersable conversion questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
1” Sch 40 is good to 450 PSI, but the glue joint is only good to 270 PSI. 1” sch 80 is good to 630 PSI, but the threaded ends cuts out a lot of meat and decreases the pressure rating by ½ to 315 PSI. Of course burst pressure is usually 2 to 5 times the pipes pressure ratting.

I have been using sch 80 threaded with galv coupling since about 1973. I didn’t know of anybody else that was using it back then, but I was installing enough pumps to do some trial and error studies. Found out that threaded PVC couplings would come unscrewed. Found out Galv couplings worked well, but didn’t need any pipe dope or Teflon tape. Just run them dry and tighten until it pops a time or two and quit.

“Found out” means had some come unscrewed and had to fish for the pump. Had some that wouldn’t come unscrewed and had to cut the pipe. Lots of trial and error until I figured out to run the threads dry and quit after it pops a time or two.

Set a lot of 2 HP and smaller pumps from 50’ to 300’ deep on 1 ¼” sch 80. Set some 5 HP on 2” up to about 200’ deep. I see a lot of people now use the Sch 120 with belled and threaded ends. Looks like a good idea, except I am still uncertain about the PVC female threaded ends. I am afraid they may come unscrewed like the old PVC threaded couplings.

I also set a few pumps on poly pipe to maybe 300’ deep, when I couldn’t get a rig to the location or something.

The only problem I have ever had with any flexible drop pipe is from cycling on and off. The wire will be slapped against the casing or rub the pipe until you get a short. Double jacketed wire like the THHN, which is my favorite, last a lot longer. I never liked cable guards, torque arrestors, or rope as they can get stuck and keep you from getting the pump out of the well.

After I started using Cycle Stop Valves on every pump system, I never had another problem with rubbing the wire. When the pump doesn’t continually cycle on and off, you no longer rub the wire, and you don’t need torque arrestors or cable guards.

In the oil fields around here they install a lot of big pumps on 3” and 4” poly pipe up to about 500’ deep. They use heavy wall poly we call “fast line”. Also see a lot of people using 3”, 4”, even 6” fire hose. You know the kind that rolls up flat, but it can take 600 PSI. They just put a big pulley on top of the well and pull out the whole string at once while tied to the bumper of a pickup. Startup or pumping the well dry will cause them to really spin in the well, so eliminating the cycling is very important.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why use sch 80 over sch 40? I have seen way to times when the pipe breaks above the glue joints. It seems that sch 40 just doesn't have enough tensile strength for down hole pump installations, possibly the glue creates a weak spot just above the glue joint??

We routinely set sch 80 to 600' with no problems, I have seen sch 120 used down to 700' with no issues. Past 700' I use steel.

I used to use galvanized couplings on sch 80 when I worked for someone else, but began using sch 120 couplings in the mid '90's. We always used Rector Seal on the threads but I have seen some guys use Vasoline.

You say that you have seen sch 80 unscrew and had to fish for the pump. I wonder if the previous pump guy didn't snug up the joints. As you know, if the joints are run up tight by hand, you need a pipe wrench to break them loose. The only times I have seen a pump hanging from sch 80 was in a run dry condition and the heat from the pump created steam which deformed the pipe just above the pumps and then they were brought out by the wire.

bcpumpguy

Reaction score
so what hp size pumps will you set down that deep then? 600 feet is 260 psi, your getting close to the burst rating that valveman says is 315psi for sched 80 threaded, specially when you add any sort of operating pressure. I imagine these are open flow however.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got a source for that Cary? I've never heard that before. We very rarely set anything past 200' so I've never really concerned myself with the pressure ratings.

1†sch 80 is good to 630 PSI, but the threaded ends cuts out a lot of meat and decreases the pressure rating by ½ to 315 PSI

sharonmoser

Ruhrpumpen
Reaction score
Either way you go see if you can go with 220-240 volt service to the pump. It is much easier on the motors. We also used install a fused switch box near the pump. We found out how many amps the motor pulled and fused it a few amps higher with a slow-delay fuse. Motors pull more amps when starting. The slow-delay fuse will accommodate this short-term draw and still protect your motor more than large amp fuses or breakers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks