4" Main To 1 1/2" Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Homewrecker2010

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this awesome resource!

I'm rebuilding a rotten 2" cast iron kitchen waste stack. It was vented to the roof by a 1 1/2" lead pipe, but everything from the sink trap down to the building main needs replacement. It connected to the building main (4" cast iron) below the basement floor; at this intersection is a 3" floor drain for the basement; there are two water heaters, a washing machine, and a boiler nearby.

The vertical stack for the bathroom is about 5 feet upstream of this location, and the street is about 15 feet downstream.

I'd appreciate advice on the proper sequence of fittings from the 4" main below the basement floor up to the 1 1/2" kitchen vent. In between, there is a 3" basement floor drain, a 2" inlet for the washing machine, and a 2" inlet for a kitchen sink + dishwasher

This is the sequence I'm thinking of, starting at the main and going up:

Below basement floor
1. 4" wye + 45 degrees to vertical
2. San-tee inlet for 3" floor drain

Above basement floor
3. 4" cleanout
4. San-tee inlet for 2" washing machine
5. Transition to 2"
6. San-tee inlet for 2" kitchen sink w/dishwasher
7. Transition to 1 1/2" vent

I'm concerned that a 4" pipe rising from the basement floor and then transitioning to 2" just won't look right or be correct. I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks!

Will

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Without actually being there, we cannot make an assessment based on your description. IF that 4" is the only 4" riser from the floor, then it does need a 4" cleanout opening, but from that point you can reduce it down to the proper sizes for the other openings.

Homewrecker2010

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, HJ!

I've attached a diagram of the project; I appreciate any guidance you may have on where to make transitions in the area shown in green.

This location is downstream of the bathroom stack, which has a 4" vent all the way to the roof, so the 1 1/2" vent for this riser would be an auxiliary vent.

Thanks!
Will

Kitchen_Stack_Diagram.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A line can be either a vent or a drain, it cannot be both! To vent the WM, you'd need to run a second line vertically and connect it at least 42" above the floor, or 6" above the flood plane of the highest fixture using the drain, whichever is higher.

Homewrecker2010

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

jadnashua - you're right. I would be wet venting the washing machine. I can run a separate vent for the WM that joins the VTR 6" above the flood rim of the kitchen sink.

HJ - my drawing is poor; all the inlets are san-tees. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Drain connections should normally be Y's (and a 45), a santitary T generally, in the vent (I think I got that right!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks