Toto toilet seat bumpers on their old versions from 1999

Users who are viewing this thread

ElPigo

Reaction score
Hi, I've had a Toto Ultimate toilet in our family since 1999. We were quite satisfied with every aspect of this toilet until the seat lost its original soft close action some years ago. We did not care this much for that but now the same toilet seat began losing its rubber bumpers from wear and tear of the every day use. We've just learned that these cannot be replaced, that our seat has been deleted from the catalog some 5 years ago and that no spare parts are available for this model. This means that we'll have to buy a new seat, which costs around $60.00, because these tiny parts, which must cost some 25 cents apiece are no more available! I just can't believe it and when we went to see what seat was available today for our model (a SS113 seat) we were so disapointed by the lack of quality compared to our original seat. These bumpers are now molded in the seat and, as they're made of plastic, they slip on top of the toilet housing when you sit on seat. The seat itself is made of flimsy plastic compared to the original seat. We are so discouraged that I have to ask members of this forum is anyone has, first: been caught with the same problem and, second: how can you find any replacement for these bumpers? I've searched on the internet to no avail. I've been given the part number, THU602, but could not find anything. I just can't believe that it's impossible to find replacement for these bumpers and that this will lead to spending a large amount of money for such a small item. Can't say that Toto has a green way to deal with new material as we will to throw away what would be a very nice item for such a reason.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, few manufacturers keep parts past 10-years after something is discontinued, and shorter periods are not unheard of.

Toto probably has 4-5 different seats that would fit that toilet but not everyone will carry them all.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Is your Ultimate a round one, as opposed to elongated-bowl? I am guessing that from the replacement seat number you gave. Can you discern the original model number, because that will incorporate the model number of the original seat. That will be helpful, and I will try to gather some options for you if I can.

ElPigo

Reaction score
Hello wjcandee. Yes, it is the round one and the original model number of the toilet is MS853113, as taken from my original invoice that I kept. The seat number remained the same but I guess they added the SS prefix to show it's the newer model. The original seat also had the soft close feature but it did not last very long. The plastic was much thicker on the original seat than what it is today and these bumpers were anti slip, which promoted more comfort and stability, if you want my opinion. Can't understand why they updated this seat to a much cheaper one.

Hope this will be helpful to you and that we'll be able to fix this annoying problem.

Thanks

ms853113e-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO changed manufacturers of the seat years ago because of the parts problems with the old seats.
I sold 432 of the new seats last year (2011). Out of those 432 I might have had one return. Less parts, less problem.
I'm on their third configuration of the seat now since I've been selling them.

1999?
Isn't that like 13 years?

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any decent hardware store will carry a wide variety of rubber bumpers suitable for use on toilet seats, including ones specifically designed
for that purpose. Just make sure to use non-corroding hardware (stainless steel, brass, etc) to attach them.

ElPigo

Reaction score
Well I guess there's not decent hardware store around here as it has proven impossible to find. I've even tried on the internet, where you can find second hand denture if you want some, but there also nothing at all. And honestly Terry, I'm very surprised to read that your customers are satisfied with a lesser quality product than the one it replaces. But as a seller, wouldn't you have some spare parts? Something like rubber bumpers for a Toto seat? Had they put some anti slip on the newer integrated molded bumpers, I would not say a word but the fact is that the seat moves when you turn around for... you know what I mean. So, once more, any help would be appreciated.

ayp

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I google for "toilet seat bumpers" and get 426,000 results. I find dozens and dozens of on-line sellers trying to sell them to me.
A whole universe of bumper information, in fact. If you don't get that, I can't decide whether to call you lucky or not ...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks