Slope requirement on 3" horizontal drain - 1/8" or 1/4" per foot? Drain design?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kubota_Kid

Reaction score
One source specifically states that horizontal 3"+ drains require 1/8" slope (< 3" require 1/4" slope). Another source says 3" drains require 1/4" slope. I am installing a 3" drain under slab that will accomadate a 1/2 bath in a shop. The main 3" drain will run approximately 26' before it enters the septic tank. Do I go with 1/8" or 1/4" slope?

My design is to start the drain with a 3" closet bend. Down stream 2.5' from the bend I will install a 2" to 3" waste T with the 2" entrance at the top. From the waiste T the main 3" drain continues straight for 23' to the septic tank. At the waste T I will use a 2" long sweep 90 degree elbow that I will run horizontally from the waste T for approximately 2.5' before using another 90 degree long sweep elbow which will send this 2" wet vent/drain pipe vertical in order to drain the sink and vent the system. Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kubota_Kid - Shelton, WA

Kubota_Kid

Reaction score
How would you connect the 2" wet vent/drain into the horizontal drain down stream of the closet elbow? Thanks. KK

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are no "sources" that matter other than your local plumbing code. As near as I can tell, that would be the 2009 Uniform Plumbing Code, possibly
with local amendment. I don't have that version handy, but a somewhat earlier one states that 1/4" per foot is the minimum slope required for ALL drain piping,
provided that 4" or larger pipes, under some unusual circumstances, and with prior approval of the local authority, can have as little as 1/8" fall per foot.
Nothing prevents, and in some cases it would be desirable, to have greater slope. I have found that it is always desirable to have greater than 1/4" slope
when running pipe in a trench, and for any distance.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does Washington allow wet venting? I believe its UPC which unless it's been amended, does not allow wet venting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
UPC has ALWAYS allowed wet venting, if it is done properly. If he is using the IPC, they would probably allow 1/16" slope if someone asks for it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC in Maine DOES NOT allow wet venting. IPC minimum pitch for pipes 3" and larger is 1/8 ipf.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
UPC Washington State allows wet venting for a bathroom group. ( No kitchen sink, no washer )
1/4" per foot grade or better.
Wyes on the horizontal.

Kubota_Kid

Reaction score
Just want to say thank you for all of the post. Very helpful. When I first browsed this site I was impressed by the professionalism of the questions and responses. A great group of folks. Thanks again. KK

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks