grundfos cu301 for irrigation--VFD? CSV? Homeowner at wit's end part 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Mfoster

Reaction score
4 months after installation of Grundfos SQE-22 with CU301 controller box, no water. Luckily I have another well and have connections as such so that all I had to do was switch a couple of valves and now I have water again from other well.
I used Grundfos' troubleshooting guide and looks like I probably have a defective Pressure sensor transducer. I would have never installed such a system but went with this system on recommendation of well driller/pump installer. Now that I have
"educated" myself a little bit about pumps was wonder what I should do as far as putting a CSV in along with a pressure switch and then not worry about this system breaking down again. My question is with this pump can I use it without the
CU301 controller?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hello Mfoster. Thanks for the post. I am sorry this thread got so confusing in Part 1 that you missed the most important part, which is how to fix your immediate problem. This subject being so confusing was the second most important thing I was trying to convey. Looks like I got the second part right, but not the first. Here is the quote from Part 1 that you need.

“That pump will work without the CU301 controller. Just remove the CU301 and install a regular 40/60 pressure switch. The pump will just cycle on and off quickly using the little pressure tank.

The regular pressure switch will get it back to running and get your water flowing. Then you soon need to add either a large pressure tank to slow down the cycling on and off, or you can install a CSV with the small tank to eliminate cycling and deliver constant pressure.â€

Mfoster

Reaction score
Valveman,

Thanks for the response. I have actually already fixed the problem. As it turns out it was not the CU301 controller, but the Pressure sensor transducer which was faulty. It was still under warranty, so I did not have to put in a new controller. It was just a Pain to figure out what was wrong and then correct the problem. I didn't buy this system to work on constantly. Reminds me of my old Volvo, was great when it ran, but it was just a pain to keep it running. As you get older you get tired of working on things that should work in the first place. If anything happens again to this system, I will get a CSV and pressure switch and install it and then hopefully forget it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Nothing seems to be a perfect solution. I recently broke into a obscure pipe feeding a vineyard that had been shut off at the pump house for 2 years. Yet it was flowing about 2GPM, probably for a few years. Bad english gate valve of supposed good quality.

If I had a CSV I suppose the pump would have run forever, and cost a fortune, [or] but then perhaps it would have made me look for the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks