Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
MS874114SG_zoom.jpg

Toto MS874114SG Carlyle
Comes with standard 12" rough-in.
A 10" or 14" Unifit adapter can be ordered to change the rough-in.
with optional UniFit adapter.
Skirted styling with concealed trapway for easy cleaning.
G-Max Technology. Commercial grade flush.
Comes with SoftClose seat.
Large water spot. 10-1/4" x 8-5/8"
Specs for MS87411SG
2-1/16" glazed trapway.

No CEFIONTECT on black or Gray

Love it, love...the skirt is sleek and easy to clean, why didn't manufacturers think of this before. BUT, can't put them in the 2 upstairs bathrooms because it needs more room to be installed. Had to go with the UltraMax for them instead.
Be sure to check with your contractor about fitting in old houses.
22 Nov 2005
Bobby

The water supply on the Carlyle needs to be at least 7" to the left of center.
If it's closer than that, it can be moved with fittings.

The Ultramax can have the water supply as close as 3" to the left of center.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
We bought the Carlyle because of the sleek looks and the Toto reputation. We like it very much but there were a few surprises. We didn’t have a clue how the Unifit works. Neither did our plumber! It took him 4 hours to install. We also had to move our water supply pipe over a few inches to accommodate the skirt which required tearing up the wall and soldering on a new valve. One annoying thing is that when you add water to the bowl and it begins to fill it starts draining down the back of the trap and makes a “tinkling” sound (which is what I try to avoid) while I am using it. Toto says it is because it is not level so the water drops off the back into the trap instead of sliding down it if it is level. I am sure they are right and will install the next one level.
Thu, 3 Nov 2005

Bob in Texas

We install the Carlyle for $179.00, the same as for any toilet. It takes us an extra 10 minutes, not three hours.

Spokaneman

Reaction score
Unifit Install

Not to dis Bob's Plumber, but I (not a trained plumber) installed two TOTO Vespins, with the Unifit in about 4 hours (no moving of the supply needed). To me it was logical how the unifit worked and it was much easier than trying to set a standard toilet with a wax ring.

The only problem I had was the instructions said to drill a 13/64 pilot hole for the supplied hold down screws, but that was too large so I had to substitute some larger woodscrews. Other than that it was a quick easy installation. I probably spent about as much time unpacking the units as I did putting them in.

I replaced both a 3.5 gallon and a early model 1.6 gallon with the TOTO's and they both work far better than either of the old toilets. Ten days now with no Clogs. Of course we set a new record on the third day.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Have several carlyle's for several years, never a problem. However, we all don't fill them the same. :D

sw638

Reaction score
I recently renovated my house and put in a couple of TOTO Carlyles. I love them! Excellent flush and no stains! I highly recommend Toto!

abak_carlyle.jpg

TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle

oohmg

Reaction score
Recently bought it based on the awesome reviews I read here but my contractor is unable to install it because I have the exact same problem as warned.
The toilet water supply from the wall is at 5" from the centerline of the toilet. The water supply is also 4 inches long and 4.5 inches from the floor. So it is in the way for the Carlyle II.

My contractor said I need to hire a plumber to open the wall and relocate the toilet's water supply for 2 inches to the left. It is estimated to be $300+ which is out of my budget.

Can I fix this by the fittings as suggested below?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how close to 12" the flange really is. An alternative might be the 10" Unifit, it would move the toilet out 2", and give you more room to turn the supply, or maybe even reach it where it is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either have the plumber solder on a copper 90 el and two inches of copper or pick up a Dahl valve for Toto.
He doesn't have to go into the wall, but he does have to think of what can be done. thinking, thinking, thinking.

It's not that hard, we do it all the time.

trinitony

Reaction score
^ I like this toilet, maybe I should install one....

So 8" inches from the center is what's needed for the water supply? I will be running the plumbing for my toilet tomorrow....

8" inches works fine.
If the plumbing is already run, then the minimum for the MS874 Carlyle is 7" center to center
Terry

GNC

Reaction score
Is this skirted Carlyle with CEFIONTECT still in production? I initially wanted a Drake but it was vetoed by my other half.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's still on Terry's Review. It uses the Unifit adapter. There are other skirted toilets available as well. As long as you're shopping, I'd suggest you go to the link at the top of this page and select "Toilet Review" then "Shopping" then "Toto Toilets", From there you can scroll through the many Toto models available.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a Carlyle and it has been fine over about 5-years or so. But, if I were going to replace it, I'd consider the Carlyle II with the newer flush. Mine does have CEFIONTECT, which I do like.

GNC

Reaction score
I've been having some difficulty in finding the Carlyle in white so I emailed Toto.

MS874114.......was discontinued October 2011.

I cannot use one that is "Universal" height or ADA, only their "Standard" height will work for me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The original Carlyle was 15-1/8" high.
The Carlyle II is 16-1/8" high. There may be some old stock out there, or there are other models with the lower height too. The Ultramax 854 series is 14-5/8" high.

MrAcoustat

Reaction score
MS874114SG_zoom.jpg

Toto MS874114SG Carlyle
Comes with standard 12" rough-in.
A 10" or 14" Unifit adapter can be ordered to change the rough-in.
with optional UniFit adapter.
Skirted styling with concealed trapway for easy cleaning.
G-Max Technology. Commercial grade flush.
Comes with SoftClose seat.
Large water spot. 10-1/4" x 8-5/8"
Specs for MS87411SG
2-1/16" glazed trapway.

No CEFIONTECT on black or Gray

Love it, love...the skirt is sleek and easy to clean, why didn't manufacturers think of this before. BUT, can't put them in the 2 upstairs bathrooms because it needs more room to be installed. Had to go with the UltraMax for them instead.
Be sure to check with your contractor about fitting in old houses.
22 Nov 2005
Bobby

The Ultramax can have the water supply as close as 3" to the left of center.

I love my Carlyle BUT that was not the one i wanted, my wife did not want to spend the extra money for MY favorite.

Toto Guinevere Pedestal Lav & Toilet Suite.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks