2 1/2" ABS as underground conduit, Plumbers, HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking at needing to cut and add a sweep to some underground conduit, as the arrangement of the service has changed.

This was installed 40-50 years ago. The crud is down 5' in a hole and is tough to get at.

What sucks: it looks like 2 1/2" abs. It certainly is All Black Stuff. But no such size exists.

It really is down pretty far. Any deeper and I could drop a casket in there. So I am having difficulty working out exactly what it is.

So I wonder, is it in any practical way possible to join ABS to grey pvc? That I can get in 2 1/2", including a sweep.

I wonder if I need to just use a rubber coupling?

Or have I got it all wrong, and the stuff is actually 2"? I would not put it past the local utility...

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking at needing to cut and add a sweep to some underground conduit, as the arrangement of the service has changed.

This was installed 40-50 years ago. The crud is down 5' in a hole and is tough to get at.

What sucks: it looks like 2 1/2" abs. It certainly is All Black Stuff. But no such size exists.

It really is down pretty far. Any deeper and I could drop a casket in there. So I am having difficulty working out exactly what it is.

So I wonder, is it in any practical way possible to join ABS to grey pvc? That I can get in 2 1/2", including a sweep.

I wonder if I need to just use a rubber coupling?

Or have I got it all wrong, and the stuff is actually 2"? I would not put it past the local utility...

Not sure but that sounds like it could be a Gas line.

I would check it before I started cutting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure but that sounds like it could be a Gas line.

I would check it before I started cutting.

No, no. The gas comes in quite elsewhere.

The general had a utility spotter mark things.

Got it worked thru today. Believe it or not: two #2 and one #4 aluminum, in 1 1/2" abs.

And we are replacing the 100 panel with a 200 amp panel. It has been approved. I don't get it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks