2 1/2" ABS as underground conduit, Plumbers, HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking at needing to cut and add a sweep to some underground conduit, as the arrangement of the service has changed.

This was installed 40-50 years ago. The crud is down 5' in a hole and is tough to get at.

What sucks: it looks like 2 1/2" abs. It certainly is All Black Stuff. But no such size exists.

It really is down pretty far. Any deeper and I could drop a casket in there. So I am having difficulty working out exactly what it is.

So I wonder, is it in any practical way possible to join ABS to grey pvc? That I can get in 2 1/2", including a sweep.

I wonder if I need to just use a rubber coupling?

Or have I got it all wrong, and the stuff is actually 2"? I would not put it past the local utility...

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking at needing to cut and add a sweep to some underground conduit, as the arrangement of the service has changed.

This was installed 40-50 years ago. The crud is down 5' in a hole and is tough to get at.

What sucks: it looks like 2 1/2" abs. It certainly is All Black Stuff. But no such size exists.

It really is down pretty far. Any deeper and I could drop a casket in there. So I am having difficulty working out exactly what it is.

So I wonder, is it in any practical way possible to join ABS to grey pvc? That I can get in 2 1/2", including a sweep.

I wonder if I need to just use a rubber coupling?

Or have I got it all wrong, and the stuff is actually 2"? I would not put it past the local utility...

Not sure but that sounds like it could be a Gas line.

I would check it before I started cutting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure but that sounds like it could be a Gas line.

I would check it before I started cutting.

No, no. The gas comes in quite elsewhere.

The general had a utility spotter mark things.

Got it worked thru today. Believe it or not: two #2 and one #4 aluminum, in 1 1/2" abs.

And we are replacing the 100 panel with a 200 amp panel. It has been approved. I don't get it.