Tub drain gasket needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Why did I try this?

Reaction score
Hi,
I will be reusing the piping for the tub drain. The old tub squished a gasket between the pipe and the bottom of the tub. Is this still needed or can Teflon tape and plumbers putty be used?
Also with the overflow there was a Moen gasket that slipped over the flat part of the pipe(the part the drain face plate screws into) and then the sleeve part of the gasket got pushed into the tub. Is there an alternate way to seal an overflow pipe or should I try to find a replacement gasket?

Thank you

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be reusing the piping for the tub drain. The old tub squished a gasket between the pipe and the bottom of the tub. Is this still needed or can Teflon tape and plumbers putty be used?
Also with the overflow there was a Moen gasket that slipped over the flat part of the pipe(the part the drain face plate screws into) and then the sleeve part of the gasket got pushed into the tub. Is there an alternate way to seal an overflow pipe or should I try to find a replacement gasket?

Thank you
Those gaskets are sold even at Ace harware stores packaged and labeled for that purpose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks