(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kohler Cimarron toilet review, Owner comments and pictures

DIY Junior Member

Thumbs up KOHLER-Cimerron toilets

Hey just read many of the comments of people having problems with various problems from cleaning action to what sounded like a bad installation.

The latest KOHLER-Cimerron Version is the only class 6 toilet available on the market today. For just about the same price as American Standard you get a far Superior product with KOHLER.

A Cimerron toilet has a 3 1/2 flapper opening, boasting the largest of any manufacturer to date! Kohler when they introduced this line stated " You can flush 100 feet of toilet paper in on flush!" Now I would never try that myself, that's one hell of a claim, and Kohler was was the first to say it. (Geez 40 golf balls in a single flush, claimed by others just makes me feel "Ahh Yea Right, let me test that one out when I paid $35.00 for the new Spaldings golf balls I just bought" (OK maybe the kid in my house might).

American Standard months later came out with the "CADET 3" meaning they had had the toilet that could flush 150 feet of toilet paper with a flapper opening of just 3 inches.

As of June 17, 2009 I am to attend a Kohler sponsored class on the new or what ever I can learn about products all through where I work paying me to do so.
    I'll will dutifully share what I learn with you all!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem with the Cimarron is mainly the trapway, which has not improved since it was introduced.

Class 4,5,6,7 are marketing terms now.

The numbers mean nothing.

In real use, a Toto class 4 is equal to a Eljer class 7
    A Eljer class 7 and Toto 4 are better then the Kohler class 5 and 6

All of these use a 3" or larger flush valve.
    But you still have to look at the trapway. That is where the clogging occurs.
    The Cimarron trapway has too tight of bends where it leaves the bowl.
    It does clog more then other trapways out there in real use.

If you look at quality of construction, and consistent rinse, then the Toto class 4 comes out at the top.
    Toto doesn't keep changing the number, they are the ones being chased.
    4 was meant to be a classification for commercial products.
    That's as high as you get.

The other manufacturers can come out with
    Newer, bigger, surreal, octofying, suptregasping, amectacking, unreally, wackanobby,
    it doesn't change a thing.

My personal experience with Class 6 Cimarron, is that the rinse is now 360, but still not very good.
    Last edited by Terry; 07-03-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Default Class 6 Cimarron

I recently remodeled our master bath and had a choice of the Kohler Cimarron (class 6),Toto Drake or several other toilets at no cost. A couple of years ago the company I work for added to our office and installed Drake's in the two new restrooms. For my remodel I chose the Cimarron comfort height and also replaced the toilet in our other bath with the Cimarron. To me the class 6 Cimarron is not only a better operating toilet but it is also more appealing than the Drake. The soft close seats are the cats meow and the entire seat can be removed in about 5 seconds which makes cleaning around the top of the bowl so much easier.

Just my opinion of course.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Kohler Cimarron One-Piece, Class Six

The trapway on the Cimarron lays flat, hopefully waste makes it through the tight bend for the flange.
    This is where I find the most plugs with the bowl.
    Not a good design.

Looking inside the Kohler Cimarron one-piece tank.
    The toilet was installed one year ago.
    The flapper is leaking on this one and refilling about every two minutes.

The toilet looks nice on the tile floor.

It could use better bowl wash.
    Much of the bowl never gets touched by water from the under rim jets.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

am a professional handyman and a former building engineer. I install between 8 to 12 toilets per year and repair/rebuild
    another 20. I installed my first, and last, Kohler Cimmaron four weeks ago. A single, middle-aged woman has had the
    toilet clog five times since installation. A normal, even large plunger will not seal so that option is out. I have had to
    auger the unit four times. I even removed and re-set the toilet, just to make sure nothing had clogged the line. Today
    I removed the unit and returned it to Home Depot. I picked up a Toto Drake from the local plumbing supply. I need to
    see how this performs. My son-in-law is a plumber and has had numerous problems with newer Kohler toilets clogging.
    I've had some luck with American Standard Champion 4 but not with the Cadet 3.

C Schertizing

I replaced my old 70s toilets (2) with the Kohler Cimmaron almost 2 years ago. It was taking 2 or 3 flushes to get rid of solid waste, plus the water usage was bothering me. I was looking for a low-water volume, high-pressure flush toilet, and the guy at Lowe's recommended this one. He called it the "big dump" model! They had a sheet that compared different models, and it did say that the Cimmaron was rated lower in the bowl cleaning department, so I knew that going in. I am very happy with them, they flush everything with one flush, and I have not had any problems with clogging, even with my husbands "big dumps." For the occasional "cling-on" I just don some disposable gloves and use a toilet wipe to take care of it (I'm a nurse so dealing with human waste is not a problem for me). I have been very happy with them so far.

The one problem I had early on was that the float was not set properly so that the toilet kept running. That was a simple fix, just followed the directions that came with the toilet.

Now I have a different problem which started last night. The tank fills up very slowly. I'm going to reference the picture of the innards on page one of this threas. I apologize in advance, I don't know the terminology for toilets. The problem seems to be located in the apparatus on the left side of the tank, which has a red cap over it, with a gray shaft running down it. The water is not getting to the little white hose which runs from the gray shaft to the black column located on the right side of the tank. I took the white hose off to check if it was clogged, and it is not. I stuck a toothpick a little ways where the hose attaches to the gray shaft, and it did not appear to be clogged. The interesting thing is, if I turn the water going into the tank off completely for a second, then turn it back on again, it will flow all the way through normally. I'm thinking that maybe there is a stuck valve or a piece of debris that gets unstuck when I turn off the water pressure, but gets stuck again by the time it runs through the flush cycle.

Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Talking

So while I was typing in my story, my brother was on his computer looking up how to fix the problem.

It turned out that the seal needed to be replaced. The Loews does not carry the correct Fluidmaster replacement parts for the Cimarron. Found the parts at Ace Hardware. The entire float assembly is part number 400A. The seal part number is 242. There is also a cap, which contains a seal also, which says "for 400A."

We just replaced the cap, and, voila! problem solved!

Edit: here is the link he was looking at:

http://www.fluidmaster.com/html/troubleshooting.html
    Last edited by fyoungrn; 09-13-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Default kohler flushing problem

the toilet no longer flushes....any thoughts

You need to give us more info regarding the symptoms. Such as does water rise in the bowl and just swirl around, or does nothing happen, period?.... What kind of toilet is it?.... etc. Your description is like someone saying "my car doesn't run." There are alot of possibilities, and if you want help, you are going to need to supply more info.

Default Kohler Cimarron is the worst...

I wish I had read this forum before purchasing not one, but TWO new Kohler Cimarron toilets. I had both bathrooms remodeled and decided to upgrade to a new, sleek toilet. Yes, they look nice, but the flush does NOT clean the bowl. There are whole areas of the bowl that the water jets don't even touch. There is no swirl, just sort of a downward stream that hits about half the bowl. My 15 year old American Standard basic toilets that I removed were far superior. I am just very angry at the poor performance. I dread the day that a guest in my home uses the toilet and discovers that the "evidence" of their use is left all over the bowl. Sorry, I don't know how else to put it. This toilet simply doesn't offer much but good looks.

Default Me too

We've had the class 5 Kohler for about 2 years now.

It started randomly blocking about a month after we had it. Due to the way the exit hole in the bowl is made, standard plungers don't work. I bought one of those black "ball" plungers, which works *only slightly better*.

The toilet plugs about weekly now. It's a real irritant because you have to plunge and plunge, and nothing happens. then the water will slowly drain, and maybe it will clear itself. Or, it might not drain all night & require another session of plunging.

About a month ago the toilet never stopped running. the little clip that holds the tube into the overflow value had snapped off or something, but it's gone. I would suspect it in the plugging, but the plugging has been going on for a long time.

Now, today, the assembly that controls the actual flushing (the long black tube with the float) has broken and the toilet will not stop filling. Even holding up the float arm manually does not stop it. I have the water turned off while I go to the hardware store to buy a replacement.

I was always happy with my Kohler sink and faucet in the kitchen, but I am terribly, terribly disappointed in this very expensive toilet that is undependable. The toilet I bought for the guest bathroom for $90 from Lowes with the minimal hardware has in the last 10 years plugged 3 times. The Kohler beat that record in the first few months we had it.

I would never buy another Kohler product for any reason. Even if I were replacing my sink, I would choose a competitor's product.

Default kohler cimmarron toilets

I saw many complaints on the Kohler Cimmarron toilet regarding it lacking rinse. Kohler had a class 5 flushing system that has been redesigned and it is a class 6 flushing system. (they look the same)The class 5 most water upon flushing went through the siphon jet where the class 6, 1/2 the water passes through the siphon jet and 1/2 through the rim for a better rinse. When purchasing the Kohler I recommend the class 6 flushing system.

Default Pexman Comments

just a DIY guy. i replaced an old american standard with a round kohler wellworth class 5 about 1 1/2 months ago, just before a company of 8 grown relatives came. it performed well under those circumstances and so far, still no problems. bowl wash is adequate, in fact i found out that the old 3.5 that gave me a lot bowl wash tended to smear marks than clean the bowl.
    also installed a cadet 3 round bowl in a friend's house 2 weeks ago, i felt the kohler has a much better finish. i will have the opportunity to test drive it myself this weekend
    i will give updates regarding their respective performances.

i always hear about poor bowl wash on the kohler but so far as my kohler wellworth class 5 has not been in need of any cleaning. and i have purposely not cleaned it since i installed it. flushing is excellent.

2 months problem free

[quote=FloridaOrange;233623]My brother has one of those Kohlers. He's very happy with his flush....because he doesn't see the (non-Toto) toilet I have that flushes as well and has a much better bowl rinse. His kohler has almost no bowl wash. I wonder if his wife is happy cleaning the toilet more often (1 teen and 1 ******* also live in the house).[/QUO
    florida orange,
    i have a kohler, i have to tell you that the bowl rinse is more than adequate to clean the bowl. it is working as designed. have you asked your brother/wife if they had to clean their kohler more than necessary?

my kohler wellworth class 5 round bowl, bought from ********* , is performing superbly for the last 2 months with very heavy use. takes care of everything in one flush, water is very clear post flush unlike my old american std. bowl remains clean, which to me means the bowl rinse is adequate to clean the bowl.
    i will get another one of these once the need arises on my other bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaOrange View Post
    If I remember when we aren't eating I will ask my sister-in-law.

You should see my house Terry, my wife has borderline OCD when it comes to cleaning. 23-1/2 hours a day our house is more than fit for guests.
    Happy Thanksgiving day to you, sir. Now I know that your statement about kohler was a supposition. I assure you that mine is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Not true.

But if you like numbers, would you be interested in a 1968 Chevy Nova with a big V-8 Engine?
    It's a 350 cubic inch. Wow! That's really big.

Drum brakes on four wheels, and a vinyl bench seat.
    The AM radio gets five stations.

To see what we are talking about in waste, this is the old method of testing before they started wrapping the paste.
    Drake 800 grams by Veritech Video
    Terry,
    I submit to your expertise when it comes to plumbing. However I believe this is not a good analogy, the statement was referring to MaP which is a laboratory controlled performance test. It's like a 0-60mph test on cars, not engine displacement,brakes nor radio equipment comparison.

i have to say this toilet exceedingly performs well. it does not seem to get smeared, thanks to an unusually large water spot that is almost as large as the toilet seat hole, thus any human detritus ends up falling on water whether its a small child or a 185 lbs man who eats plenty of roughage. mid november , a family member had a bout of diarrhea due to food poisoning after the flush, the bowl walls were clean! slight brown smear within the water spot that disappeared later on. did not have to bring out the brush to clean it out. what i do now is i spray the inside of bowl with simple green about 2x/week.
    i will measure the water spot for my next post. might even take a picture to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    What a fantastic toilet and for a fantastic price too.

A small gap between the tank and the bowl is normal.

I get a slight rock on mine too, if I push it.

i second the motion on all counts. i installed one in a friends house and have used it on 2 occasions since then. very good value toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    John Koehler of MaP has said many times, that their test, only checks one thing.
    That's right, even they say it only tests one thing.
    And he also has said that the manufacturers have figured out what that one thing is.
    Here let me make that one point clear, I'm holding up one finger for you.

The difference between what they do, and what I do, is that I "do" look at everything.
    And the people writing in, look at everything.
    And, if a product is junk, they quit buying it.

That's why I'm replacing Cimarron toilets with Drakes and Ultramax toilets.
    It's why I almost never sell Caroma toilets anymore. Not that they don't have their supporters. Even John Koeller bought one on the basis of his test, and then complained after using one, that the bowl is always dirty.
    It's also why I hardly ever sell two Gerber pressure assist toilets to anyone.
    Once people have them in their home, you can't keep fooling them.
    On paper, it may make sense to think that looking at one side of the building will tell you everything.
    But trust me Pexman, if you are in the back alley looking through the garbage container for todays dinner, that's not the same experience that we get going through the front door.
    It's true, that we pay a little more then you do, but we also get seated comfortably, the food is prepared for us, and they take the dishes away.
    We don't have to clean up afterwords.
    Wow! What a concept!
    it was the analogy i was pointing out. in the laws of logic a wrong analogy makes a statement a fallacy.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 12-07-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
    I wish I had read this forum before purchasing not one, but TWO new Kohler Cimarron toilets. I had both bathrooms remodeled and decided to upgrade to a new, sleek toilet. Yes, they look nice, but the flush does NOT clean the bowl. There are whole areas of the bowl that the water jets don't even touch. There is no swirl, just sort of a downward stream that hits about half the bowl. My 15 year old American Standard basic toilets that I removed were far superior. I am just very angry at the poor performance. I dread the day that a guest in my home uses the toilet and discovers that the "evidence" of their use is left all over the bowl. Sorry, I don't know how else to put it. This toilet simply doesn't offer much but good looks.

Oh, yes I got one too. And, eventually it is going to be outa here. Terry recommends a Toto and that will be the next toilet. I suggest those needing a new toilet to listen to his advice about toilets and plumbing needs.

It is just very frustrating when something which should seem as basic as a toilet can be a pain in the ass. It may sound funny, but it really is miserable when they just don't work or work well enough.

I also had a Cimarron toilet and was very disappointed in it because it didn't rinse and it clogged occasionally. Thanks to this site, the Cimarron was replaced with a Toto Drake. That was just over 4 years ago. To date, I have never had a problem with the flush or any of the parts inside the tank -- still has the original flapper and Quiet Fill cap, even with the chloramine in the water.

My Toto does not have the Sanigloss, but it rinses far better than the Cimarron did, and in my opinion flushes better than any of the old 3.5 gallon toilets that were there before.

achutch