(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kohler Cimarron toilet review, Owner comments and pictures

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review
    I bought and installed a Kohler Cimarron toilet about a month ago. The spec sheet calls for the tank to be 3/4" off the wall with a 12 inch offset. My tank is about 2 1/4" offthe wall with the 12 inch offset. I guess we ill live with it. Walls are plumb so that is not an issue. Toilet flushs good but does not clean well at all. This seems to be a complaint of other buyers as well. As Karen H states in her comment, we now keep the toilet brush handy.
    Mon, 19 Dec 2005
    Frank
    I can vouch for that statement, verbatim with the one that I own.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    I can vouch for that statement, verbatim with the one that I own.
    You must have bought it B4 this thread. Or are you just a masochistic plumber.
    Last edited by Cass; 03-30-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Red face Comfort height - too high for kids?

Oh my...you would think I was buying a new car. Replacing 10 yr old Kohler toilet. Husband thinks I'm too picky. Well, we have agreed on buying Kohler Cimarron due to it's sleek, simple curves and it will match our Kohler pedestal sink. Salesmen recommend Comfort Hgt - yet said it's for disabled people. We are ave. heights. Will be sitting too high? What about the toddler? Ok for kids? It will be in downstairs guest bathroom - the one that everyone will use and abuse. I hope it cleans well, despite readers comments. And should we buy the seat separately? Not sure what HDepot carries yet. Elger is the big one promoted in stores as C Reports rated it best.

Anything has to be better than what we currently have, which clogs constantly. Always use gross wire snake to clean it as husband thinks reg. plungers don't work. So it's very scratched inside. I hope to get rid of the crappy toilet and the wire snake. Maybe the husband too.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default Fri, 28 Apr 2006

We have had our Kohler for less than a year. It works alright, not great. Big problem -- you can't use a plunger in it. So, what to do? Get rid of it and get a simple, cheap toilet. Have also had economiser. not the greatest, needless to say. All the hype sounds great, but in reality, these new toilets aren't worth their weight. Judy S

Default Wed, 7 Jun 2006

Henry County, Virginia is raising its water rates and cutting monthly allowable usage. So we shopped for a replacement for one of our multi-gallon toilets. Settling on the Kohler Cimarron, we had it installed in just a couple of hours. Trouble didn?t wait very long however. The Cimarron plugged up on the third day of operation, adding $109 in repair expenses to the original purchase price of $*** from Lowe?s. Now I?m so sorry I let my old American Standard be picked up and hauled away. I?d pay to have it back! Better to have the higher bills than the shitty feeling you made a bad decision, and one you will have to live with for awhile.

Better get yourself a six foot snake (the plumber said get the 8 foot if you can find it) if you?re buying the Cimarron. A strangely shaped bowl makes using a traditional plunger not possible.

Doggone it on D-Day

Default Sat, 8 Jul 2006

I installed the Kohler Cimarron 3 weeks ago. I bought the complete set, only took me 15 minutes to install. My Nephew had been clogging up our last one in every use and prior one at other home. So, we thought it was time for HP toilet. I have used 2 of the American Standard HP toilets at 2 different shopping malls, they don't seem to have the powerful flushing as to Kohler ( Had to flush twice). This one works great! powerful flush and and larger waste drain!. If anyone has this problem with clogging with standard toilets, this is the toilet for you!

David
    Lake Forest,Ca.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-03-2009 at 11:43 AM.

I had a Kohler Cimmeron installed one week ago. The first time I flushed it
    I loved it. However, that was without any waste materials to flush with it.
    After using the toilet repeatedly it is extremely clear that it has a poor
    design regarding cleaning out the bowl. I concur with others that we can now
    trade in a plunger for a toilet bowl brush. Better yet-I called the folks
    at Kohler to complain-AT least they were honest when they told me that they
    have received complaints from others regarding this same issue. GET
    THIS-they suggested that I may try using a car wax product on the inside of
    the bowl-I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EARS-I suggested that they address the
    problem! Next-I called my local Lowes store where I purchased the toilet
    last week and told them of my problem and what Kohler suggested to remedy
    the situation. They informed me that it would be no problem to return the
    Kohler Cimmeron and that they would help me find a replacement. This is
    great but I will now have to pay some one to switch out the toilets. To
    Kohler I say - Why don't you look at your design if there are consumers
    complaining ???
    Ellen-Chicago, IL 9/18/2006

I have a Cimmarron, and a Toto, and I love them both! Flushing...no prob with either! I believe that I could almost flush a basketball through either one if I tried. As for cleaning and bowl wash, Im a compulsive clean freak, so this I cant answer. Both bathrooms get a thorough cleaning twice a week, and if there's a skid mark in any toilet (which there often is, in both the Kohler and the Toto), it immedietly gets the brush and bleach routine! Lol! I am sold on both the Kohler brand (I have several Kohler fixtures), and on the Toto brand.

Thumbs up

I have 2 Cimmarons that I purchased this summer (before I saw this site). So far, neither has plugged up although the side walls do not get as good of a flushing as the center. Overall, I'm very happy and no one is complaining. My girlfriend is happy as can be and my teenage sons haven't had any issues. I may replace my downstairs toilet when it fails with a Toto just to get a comparison.

I just installed one. It works well, but the water spot is small. It starts out as advertised, big and round and 5 7/8" down from the rim. Then the water trickles out until it's 6 1/4" down and the water spot is small and narrow. I don't know if this is standard or it's a defect but I don't want to have to install a new one again.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The bowl is generally overfilled, and after the water stops, most toilets drain a little until equilibrium is attained. This normally only takes a few seconds.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua
    The bowl is generally overfilled, and after the water stops, most toilets drain a little until equilibrium is attained. This normally only takes a few seconds.
    In that case the advertising is deceptive. One would assume that when they say it's 8.5x11 that that is how much water is normally resting in the bowl.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Either the bowl and floor is not level, so the water siphons out,

or you have a porous Kohler bowl.
    Water leaking out is not a good sign.

Just another reason I avoid Kohler.

Question Kohler Cimarron Toilets

Had two Kohler Cimarron toilets installed in April 2006. A few weeks ago one toilet started leaking water so slow it could not be seen leaking into the bowl. Checked the reddish rubber seal and could neither see nor feel any items or spots allowing the leak. There is a time gap of approximately tow minutes after the tank refills the half inch or so of water before the water level drops down and has to refill. Now the second toilet is doing this. Does the Cimarron have a history of bad seals? Is the problem easy to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Either the bowl and floor is not level, so the water siphons out, or you have a porous Kohler bowl.
    Water leaking out is not a good sign.
    I called and they said it wouldn't usually develop a crack right at the top that would make it drain out just a little. They said it could be something wicking it out, which is unlikely since it's new and it's always been this way, or a vent could be making suction if it was really close. They said that vitreous china has a tolerance of 1/4" per foot, so it is about within tolerance; the water is 3/8" below where it's supposed to be. I don't think it's necessarily worth it to try and get a new one from them to install, so I'll probably leave it. The toilet is level. It just looks bad mainly.