(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Kohler Cimarron toilet review, Owner comments and pictures

Thanks for the quick response.
    And your opinion about Cimarron non-clogging compared to Toto?

Oops, cancel this. I just found post #92
    Last edited by brucet99; 07-15-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brucet99 View Post
    Thanks for putting up all of this information.

I see the good reports about Toto UltramaxII and Drake II, but both of them are longer than we would like.

Cimarron specs show length split 10 1/2" and 16 3/4" either side of the horn. I can't find the split for Toto.

You mention the Ultramax II and the Drake II. You should also consider the workhorse plain ol' Drake.

As Terry points out, the Drake spec sheet says that the round Drake sits about 3/4" from the wall on a 12" rough-in. In reality, it appears to me that it's closer to what the spec sheet on the CST744E (elongated Eco Drake) says: 1-1/8". Have you measured your rough-in? Is it a precise 12" or is it off a little (or is it 10" or 14")? The original Drake can adapt well to a rough-in that's as much an an inch shorter than 12".

The round-front Drake CST743E is 26 3/8" back to front. Using my tape measure, it is VERY approximately 10 7/8" behind and 15 1/2" in front of the center of the closet flange. I'm eyeballing, so this is very rough, but it should give you an idea of the general proportions. If you need it more accurate than that, I am happy to get out the level and really do it right. Spec sheet: http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/Pro...3E,%20V.05.pdf

The elongated Drake CST744E is 28" back to front. I have one of those as well and can try to measure the split for you if you want. [Edit: The distance behind seems to be about the same, so you can do the math on the front.] Spec sheet: http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/Pro...EG,%20V.04.pdf

PS Like everyone else, we love our Drakes.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 07-15-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Default Kohler Cimarron Toilet Review

I just bought a kohler cimarron toilet, and am VERY happy with it. It flushes great and has a very good bowl wash. Never clogged or struggled with anything it flushed. No problems yet, don't think there will be in the near future with this thing. I don't really like toto at all, but I think American Standard is ok.

DIY Junior Member Mona Lisa Abbott's Avatar

Did you overlook the pipe? I'm not sure if your plumber checked already ... but it would seem it's your pipe that has the clog. Sometimes tree roots can get in them way down the line, and of course sometimes people accidently put stuff in the pipes that cannot be cleaned other than snaking/breaking them out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review View Post

I am on my third Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height toilet. We decided to replace an old American Standard that was in my son's bathroom and was clogging every week. My plumber recommended the Kohler Cimarron. The first one he put in was the round seat. 2 hrs after it was installed it clogged! My son was able to plunge it. We called the plumber who was shocked. The next day my husband tried the toilet, not only did it clog it flooded the bathroom! We were not able to un clog it.The next morning we saw that the flood had caused our kitchen ceiling to buckle! The plumber had to come and snake the toilet.We decided that we had a dud. The plumber could not replace it until the Kohler rep got back to him which took a week. Well we then got toilet # 2( same toilet).
    We decided not to fix the ceiling until we were sure that the toilet worked. Well it was good for a week and then yup another un-plungable clog! Plummer came back snaked again and this time we got an upgrade - the elongated bowl. Kohler decided that the whole batch at the plumbing supply store must have been bad. Still not fixing the ceiling yet. Well # 3 is going on a week and a half and tonight - yup you guessed it - clogs again! We were able to plunge it.
    I am at wits end - I don't know what to do. This toilet was sold as one I would never have to plunge.
    I am calling the plumber back tomorrow but I don't know what to do. Do I ask for a better model? If so which one? Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks for your time.
    Sun, 18 Dec 2005
    Susan H

DIY Junior Member Timothy LaDuca's Avatar

About a year ago I installed a Cimarron (15409-0) canister flush toilet. The toilet being replaced would clog if you tried to flush anything larger than a pea. I am amazed by how quick it flushes (2 seconds?) (nice to make the waste dissappear lickety-split) and how little water this toilet uses and it always flushes good no matter what or how much I throw at it. It says up to 1.6g flush, I guess that is if you hold the handle down. I think a regular press and release is just a little over a gallon.
    The problem is there just isn't much rinsing action. The bowl flushes clean but gets ring around the rim very quickly and also there is a spot above the jet that just won't come clean now matter how hard I try.
    Also very affordable. One minor complaint, the footprint of the toilet is quite large, there is not enough "toe space" (for guys standing up, ya know).
    Last edited by Timothy LaDuca; 08-20-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy LaDuca View Post
    It says up to 1.6g flush, I guess that is if you hold the handle down. I think a regular press and release is just a little over a gallon.
    Well, the model you mentioned is a 1.28gpf toilet. Perhaps the bowl says "up to" 1.6 because they are using the bowl for both the 1.28 and the 1.6. I don't know.

However, if you hold the handle down, you are going to use a lot more than 1.6. (Remember, the gallonage per flush is the total water dispensed from the wall connection, including bowl refill, from the time you pull the flush handle until the time the fill valve shuts off.)

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

We have recently installed a 2013 Kohler Cimarron CLASS 5 and what an upgrade! It replaced a 2000's Kohler Wellworth with Ingenium Flush Technology. It is VERY quiet, comfort height. Also please be aware that if you are going to get a round front cimarron, it is going to be Class 5. And I tell ya, the class 5 has a great bowl rinse! After 2011 they redesigned the class 5 and it is a lot better! Here are some photos of the new toilet and a video I made. All of owners of a Kohler Cimarron, you gotta love them!
    Name:  DSCN0529.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  25.5 KBName:  DSCN0530.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  20.0 KB
    If you need to go with a new toilet, go with a TOTO!

I came to this forum during a google search on changing a part on my Cimarron toilet. I saw quite a few posts on the toilet forum touting Toto and thumbing down the Cimarron, so I thought I'd register to give my two cents.

We've had our two Cimarrons for a few years now. Both installed within months of each other. The date stamped on the inside of the tank of the toilet most used is 3/24/10. Both are round bowls, chair height.

Both replaced Kohler Wellworths and with the Wellworths we had to make sure a plunger was nearby. Since installing these two Cimarron's, we've never had to plunge either one. (Just fact-checked this with hubby!)

As far as quality of flush-cleaning, we may need to swish with the toilet brush on occasion after certain types of solid waste flushes. Is that a deal breaker for us? No. It's not a big deal.

We had considered Toto, although the price seemed a bit steep. When my neighbor shared they had a Cimarron and were pleased, we decided to go with the same and have had no regrets.

We nearly always go for quality with our purchases, believing you get what you pay for, thus spending more upfront is well worth it. For the most part that mantra has held true. And I believe it has for the Cimarron.