(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kohler Cimarron toilet review, Owner comments and pictures

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BTW I changed my order from two K-11456s to two Toto Drakes with SanaGloss-- can I get an amen?
    Amen!

I note that the inside of the flush valve feels gritty, so I tried to wipe everything in case debris was impeding the seal. Didn't work. And it still feels gritty.
    On the repair, I would try the flapper first.

The inside of the flush valve?
    The inside won't matter, but the face where it seals will matter.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-09-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The seat where the flapper valve seals should be smooth. I can't see it sealing, regardless of the flapper valve if it is gritty; the rubber just isn't that flexible. That, to me anyways, is a factory defect. Now, not being there and feeling it myself, I may be off course here.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member Lots to Learn's Avatar

Default Finally, closure (literally & figuratively)

Here's what solved the running toilet problem. It has this adjustable float body that I don't quite understand. If anyone who is familiar with these would care to explain that, that would be great!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The factory flapper valve is calibrated to close after the designated amount of water runs down the drain. Keep in mind that each toilet is a little different. The water used to flush consists of both that in the tank, and what's in the bowl. So, you need a means on a generic replacement to calibrate how much water gets dumped before the flapper drops down to close it off won't be at the same tank level (since each bowl gets refilled separately). Essentially none of the new toilets empty the tank when you flush. the adjustable part lets you make it close faster or slower. Now, getting it set to close at the manufacturer's specified level may take some trial and error. Too quick, lousy flush. Too slow, waste a bunch of water each time.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

WOW!!! I bought the same toilet (k-3489) and the exact same thing happened to mine. It was so annoying hearing the water running ever 30 minutes. Suprisingly somehow it was the flapper that caused the problem on mine as well. I also had an issue with how terrible the toilet was at cleaning the bowl. Kohler has given me a voucher/credit for another toilet but I don't want a Kohler toitet. Has anyone had any experience with the K-11456. Consumerreports rated it pretty well but who knows...

Virtually every toilet CR rates highly proves to be dog and is frequently discontinued fairly soon after.

Blog Entries

WOW!!! I bought the same toilet (k-3489) and the exact same thing happened to mine. It was so annoying hearing the water running ever 30 minutes. Suprisingly somehow it was the flapper that caused the problem on mine as well. I also had an issue with how terrible the toilet was at cleaning the bowl

CR likes the Cimarron and the Gerber Ultraflush.
    Between those two toilets, they got nine listings on their report.
    I have a hard time selling either.

The TOTO Dalton sells for less then the Cimarron, and works better.
    The Toto Drake works even better then that.
    The Dual flush Gerber quits after six months.

If the toilet is a Cimarron, it's a Cimarron. They have tons of numbers for the Cimarron.

Default We like our Class 6 Cimarron

Admittedly it's only been 3 or 4 months, but our Class 6 Cimarron has been great: easy to install (love that the tank bolts don't go through the tank itself, which eliminates a major leak spot), amazing flush performance for the water used, nice water spot, quiet and attractive.

Wish there was a way of seeing a toilet "in-person, in action" before buying. Totos are hard to find around here (Southwest CT) for some reason, and the baffling array of choices for the Drake alone is ridiculous!

Blog Entries

Yes Heymatey,
    In America some hate choices. At least a Friend of mine from the Czech Republic complained about choices in American too.
    She wished she was back home, where you didn't have to decide what to have for lunch.
    You would go to the cafeteria and the meal would have been prepared.
    She said all these "choices" tired her out.
    Yeah, real bummer having choices for some people.
    But some people do like the choice to buy American. You can still do that with Toto.
    1/3 of the Toto I sell is made in the USA, it's nice to have choice.

CR lists the Cimarron five times on their report, is that too many of the same toilet to list?
    You can get the Cimarron in two boxes, or in one box, that makes two Cimarrons right there.
    Then you can get round, wow! another choice right there. How 'bout elongated, wow! another one, it's getting to be too much for some Americans to handle. At least they make them in Mexico.

Me, I love that we have choice in America.
    That's why many have left Europe and it's traditions for a life with more opportunity and choice.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-21-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yes Heymatey,
    In America some hate choices. At least a Friend of mine from the Czech Republic complained about choices in American too.
    She wished she was back home, where you didn't have to decide what to have for lunch.
    You would go to the cafeteria and the meal would have been prepared.
    She said all these "choices" tired her out.
    Yeah, real bummer having choices for some people.
    But some people do like the choice to buy American. You can still do that with Toto.
    1/3 of the Toto I sell is made in the USA, it's nice to have choice.

CR lists the Cimarron five times on their report, is that too many of the same toilet to list?
    You can get the Cimarron in two boxes, or in one box, that makes two Cimarrons right there.
    Then you can get round, wow! another choice right there. How 'bout elongated, wow! another one, it's getting to be too much for some Americans to handle. At least they make them in Mexico.

Me, I love that we have choice in America.
    That's why many have left Europe and it's traditions for a life with more opportunity and choice.
    My snark-meter just exploded on this post.
    Rob
    Sales

DIY Junior Member associatebroker's Avatar

Default Kohler Cimarron 1.28 to 1.6 GPF Conversion. Possible?

I just purchased 3 Cimarron class 6 toilets, and after installation, discovered that the 1.28 gpf seems dismal compared to the 1.6 gpf toilets replaced. Yes, if I hold the handle down, the toilet flushes with the desired force, but I'd rather just press the handle normally.

Does anyone know of a down and dirty conversion that will give me a full 1.6 flush with the 1.28 model? There just has to be a way to make the canister stay open longer... automatically.

Watch out for Lowe's salespeople too. I was told explicitly that the Cimarron class six would allow me to adjust between 1.28 and 1.6 gpf. Apparently he meant by adjusting the time one must hold the handle down!

Thanks!

Blog Entries

I don't believe you can adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellison View Post
    I've had the Cimmaron for 4 months now, and I have mixed feelings about it's performance.

The Cimmaron has no problem swallowing the charmin or the Pampers, altho it does have a major issue with the bowl.
    -E
    Please tell me you really don't flush pampers down the toilet.

We installed this Series 5 toilet a few yrs. ago, after seeing the commercial on TV. For the first few flushes, it did do better (didn't clog) than standard toilets. It utiliizes larger tank and bowl waste removal holes to get the job done. However we discovered that, within a few wks., it began clogging up just like the old toilet. But, when this toilet clogs, it's considerably harder to clear. A plunger rarely works. We usually have to use an electric "snake" to clear it.
    Also, the water just flushes in one big, straight "clug", but does not swirl for a few seconds (as in a standard toilet) to pick up any waste matter and toilet paper that maybe have become lodged on the sides of the bowl. With this toilet, after the flush, they are left behind and won't be picked up by future swirling water cycles without your "help". We thought it would be great, but we feel that this toilet does not perform as the commercial indicates. Our recommendation is that you research/try some other brand, or stick with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by associatebroker View Post
    I just purchased 3 Cimarron class 6 toilets, and after installation, discovered that the 1.28 gpf seems dismal compared to the 1.6 gpf toilets replaced. Yes, if I hold the handle down, the toilet flushes with the desired force, but I'd rather just press the handle normally.

Does anyone know of a down and dirty conversion that will give me a full 1.6 flush with the 1.28 model? There just has to be a way to make the canister stay open longer... automatically.

Watch out for Lowe's salespeople too. I was told explicitly that the Cimarron class six would allow me to adjust between 1.28 and 1.6 gpf. Apparently he meant by adjusting the time one must hold the handle down!

Thanks!
    I have the same issue with the Cimarron 1.28 I just installed. If it cannot be adjusted, can the flushing mechanism be replaced with one from the 1.6 Cimarron?