(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kohler Cimarron toilet review, Owner comments and pictures

Hybrid View

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default Kohler Cimarron toilet review, Owner comments and pictures

Kohler Cimarron, Made in Mexico

I bought and installed a Kohler Cimarron toilet about a month ago. The spec sheet calls for the tank to be 3/4" off the wall with a 12 inch offset. My tank is about 2 1/4" offthe wall with the 12 inch offset. I guess we ill live with it. Walls are plumb so that is not an issue. Toilet flushs good but does not clean well at all. This seems to be a complaint of other buyers as well. As Karen H states in her comment, we now keep the toilet brush handy.
    Mon, 19 Dec 2005
    Frank

Video of the Kohler Class Five Flush

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!
    Last edited by Terry; 01-17-2010 at 05:31 PM.

I am on my third Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height toilet. We decided to replace an old American Standard that was in my son's bathroom and was clogging every week. My plumber recommended the Kohler Cimarron. The first one he put in was the round seat. 2 hrs after it was installed it clogged! My son was able to plunge it. We called the plumber who was shocked. The next day my husband tried the toilet, not only did it clog it flooded the bathroom! We were not able to un clog it.The next morning we saw that the flood had caused our kitchen ceiling to buckle! The plumber had to come and snake the toilet.We decided that we had a dud. The plumber could not replace it until the Kohler rep got back to him which took a week. Well we then got toilet # 2( same toilet).
    We decided not to fix the ceiling until we were sure that the toilet worked. Well it was good for a week and then yup another un-plungable clog! Plummer came back snaked again and this time we got an upgrade - the elongated bowl. Kohler decided that the whole batch at the plumbing supply store must have been bad. Still not fixing the ceiling yet. Well # 3 is going on a week and a half and tonight - yup you guessed it - clogs again! We were able to plunge it.
    I am at wits end - I don't know what to do. This toilet was sold as one I would never have to plunge.
    I am calling the plumber back tomorrow but I don't know what to do. Do I ask for a better model? If so which one? Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks for your time.
    Sun, 18 Dec 2005
    Susan H
    Last edited by Terry; 10-22-2007 at 11:22 AM.

i am also a plumber, i also endorse the cimmaron, i have had no problems whatsoever with these closets, i know this sounds silly , but what brand of toilet paper do you use, i'll bet it begins with a C , THANKS

DIY Junior Member Mona Lisa Abbott's Avatar

Did you overlook the pipe? I'm not sure if your plumber checked already ... but it would seem it's your pipe that has the clog. Sometimes tree roots can get in them way down the line, and of course sometimes people accidently put stuff in the pipes that cannot be cleaned other than snaking/breaking them out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review View Post

I am on my third Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height toilet. We decided to replace an old American Standard that was in my son's bathroom and was clogging every week. My plumber recommended the Kohler Cimarron. The first one he put in was the round seat. 2 hrs after it was installed it clogged! My son was able to plunge it. We called the plumber who was shocked. The next day my husband tried the toilet, not only did it clog it flooded the bathroom! We were not able to un clog it.The next morning we saw that the flood had caused our kitchen ceiling to buckle! The plumber had to come and snake the toilet.We decided that we had a dud. The plumber could not replace it until the Kohler rep got back to him which took a week. Well we then got toilet # 2( same toilet).
    We decided not to fix the ceiling until we were sure that the toilet worked. Well it was good for a week and then yup another un-plungable clog! Plummer came back snaked again and this time we got an upgrade - the elongated bowl. Kohler decided that the whole batch at the plumbing supply store must have been bad. Still not fixing the ceiling yet. Well # 3 is going on a week and a half and tonight - yup you guessed it - clogs again! We were able to plunge it.
    I am at wits end - I don't know what to do. This toilet was sold as one I would never have to plunge.
    I am calling the plumber back tomorrow but I don't know what to do. Do I ask for a better model? If so which one? Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks for your time.
    Sun, 18 Dec 2005
    Susan H

Default Really bad product

This toilet is a piece of crap! No pun intended! We bought this and ended up having it replaced 3 times! FInally said no more and put in a Toto.
    I will never ever buy anything Kohler again.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-22-2007 at 11:23 AM.

...piece of crap?
    I disagree.
    I installed one (elongated version) in Nov. in the bathroom my 2 teenage boys share. So far, no plugs... and my younger son is famous for plugging the toilet with miles & miles of toilet paper.
    I do agree that it doesn't rinse as well as others; but with it's flushing action, I guess that's the trade-off. the Cimarron's flush reminds me of an airplane toilet: Whoosh ! It's all gone in one "gulp". And it's ALL gone.
    I like it.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-22-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Believe what you read!

This toilet does NOT clean the bowl when it flushes. We bought 2, and are taking them back.

Kohler, take a hint! Redesign this thing to work better.
    George & Mary

We replaced an old toilet with a Kohler Cimarron. The Cimarron does not cleanse the bowl because the water flow is insufficient. Yes, we hold the handle down to get the “full” flush.

Somebody somewhere has made a kit that will let the tank fill up so that there is enough water to cleanse the bowl. Do you make – or know where I can get – such a kit?

In frustration.

Bob in Amarillo

Just went 15 day's without a toilet after waiting for a new bathroom floor. When my new Cimmaron finally got installed lastnight, I was thrilled. It is amazing, the power in that flush, the style (mine has the round bowl). I didn't notice any problems with the bowl wash, but it has only been 30 hours since my brother in law installed it. I am impressed so far.
    Scott.A

Default Reader Review

I also installed a Kohler Cimarron back in August 2004. I liked the extra height, and the style. It also did a great job disposing of solids. But the rinse was terrible. I even tried the bowl cleaner with Teflon, but water can't rinse away what it doesn't touch.

I have a HORRIBLE IRRITABLE bowel, so a toilet that flushes and rinses well is essential. After reading the messages on this site and Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets, I replaced the Cimarron with a Toto Drake ADA Height model and have had no problems with rinsing or clogging.

Matt

We installed this Series 5 toilet a few yrs. ago, after seeing the commercial on TV. For the first few flushes, it did do better (didn't clog) than standard toilets. It utiliizes larger tank and bowl waste removal holes to get the job done. However we discovered that, within a few wks., it began clogging up just like the old toilet. But, when this toilet clogs, it's considerably harder to clear. A plunger rarely works. We usually have to use an electric "snake" to clear it.
    Also, the water just flushes in one big, straight "clug", but does not swirl for a few seconds (as in a standard toilet) to pick up any waste matter and toilet paper that maybe have become lodged on the sides of the bowl. With this toilet, after the flush, they are left behind and won't be picked up by future swirling water cycles without your "help". We thought it would be great, but we feel that this toilet does not perform as the commercial indicates. Our recommendation is that you research/try some other brand, or stick with what you have.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review
    I bought and installed a Kohler Cimarron toilet about a month ago. The spec sheet calls for the tank to be 3/4" off the wall with a 12 inch offset. My tank is about 2 1/4" offthe wall with the 12 inch offset. I guess we ill live with it. Walls are plumb so that is not an issue. Toilet flushs good but does not clean well at all. This seems to be a complaint of other buyers as well. As Karen H states in her comment, we now keep the toilet brush handy.
    Mon, 19 Dec 2005
    Frank
    I can vouch for that statement, verbatim with the one that I own.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    I can vouch for that statement, verbatim with the one that I own.
    You must have bought it B4 this thread. Or are you just a masochistic plumber.
    Last edited by Cass; 03-30-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Red face Comfort height - too high for kids?

Oh my...you would think I was buying a new car. Replacing 10 yr old Kohler toilet. Husband thinks I'm too picky. Well, we have agreed on buying Kohler Cimarron due to it's sleek, simple curves and it will match our Kohler pedestal sink. Salesmen recommend Comfort Hgt - yet said it's for disabled people. We are ave. heights. Will be sitting too high? What about the toddler? Ok for kids? It will be in downstairs guest bathroom - the one that everyone will use and abuse. I hope it cleans well, despite readers comments. And should we buy the seat separately? Not sure what HDepot carries yet. Elger is the big one promoted in stores as C Reports rated it best.

Anything has to be better than what we currently have, which clogs constantly. Always use gross wire snake to clean it as husband thinks reg. plungers don't work. So it's very scratched inside. I hope to get rid of the crappy toilet and the wire snake. Maybe the husband too.

Default Fri, 28 Apr 2006

We have had our Kohler for less than a year. It works alright, not great. Big problem -- you can't use a plunger in it. So, what to do? Get rid of it and get a simple, cheap toilet. Have also had economiser. not the greatest, needless to say. All the hype sounds great, but in reality, these new toilets aren't worth their weight. Judy S