(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

I bought 2 of these. I want my money back. They flush great 9 times out of 10, then hang up and run continuously wasting water because the mechanism to does not close properly. Same as everybody above.

Thanks to all the posters! I've had my "champion" for over two years and the problems just started.

I sent my retailer the URL for this site and he promised to chat with his AS guy and get me a solution ASAP

Richard

My American Standard Champion toilet began running constantly one month after installation – right as I had accustomed myself to the phenomenally loud “kerPLUNK” with every flush. I could not, however, accustom to or accept the constant filling and the needless cost and steady water waste as the toilet ran continually. When I finally tired of turning on and off the water at the shut-off valve, I bought a new gasket. This worked for a week then the running began anew.

A couple weeks later and with the top cover off while I was, again, trying to figure out another fix (because, despite efforts, I had been unable to reach American Standard for assistance), when I flushed the toilet a piece in the piston/tower broke off and a spring shot out at me with enough force that it bounced off my face and landed in the sink next to the toilet.

Then I had not only to manually turn on and off the water at the shut-off but I also had to lift the tower by hand to trigger every flush.

Denver, 2006
    Last edited by Reader Review; 09-18-2006 at 03:39 PM.

I've had the same problems and recently got it working with a new gasket sent free from A.S. but because of the clunk I just removed the toilet from our hall bath to a rental I have that needed a replacement. Let them deal with the clunk! Today I went on line to find a new toilet and was going to purchase another A.S. model. After stumbling into this web site and reading these consumer reports I see a Kohler or Toto as the answer. We have several Totos and although expensive, they really do the job! Never another American Standard!

Mr. Terry Love,

When we were remodeling our home, we purchased 3 of these ***GD*** things! The one we placed upstairs leaked and ruined our downstairs, newly installed, brand spanking new $18K kitchen cabinets! We've relaced that one with a Kohler, which is a great unit (less money too).

I now spend most of my retired time running between the other upstairs toliet and the one downstairs trying to keep them from "running." Would someone please tell me why American Standard has done this to the public?

That orange valve they put in it is completely useless. Once it loses it's life it gets progressively less and less able to seal properly. Our current one in the downstairs bathroom is now so loose that recently it almost flushed with the tank contents!

We're still in the process of remodeling two of the baths, so I guess we'll have to "eat it" again, like we did with the master bath.

Thank you American Standard, you sorry bastards. Where'd you get your engineering degrees from: Mad Magazine? Screw you.

PS: How can I get some more of those orange valve rings until we can replace these pitiful remainders?
    R. Miller

I am a bathroom remodeller. Last year I was installing a Champion toilet for my customer (as part of the bathroom remodel) because she had specified it. The specific directions read that you are suppose to tighten the tank down to where it just barely makes contact to the bowl china. So I am tightening the tank down. I am having my helper push down on the tank in order to ease the tightening process because it seems that bolts are pulling a lot of pressure. The bolts are really really tight and I still have a 1/4" left to tighten down. I can not believe this is right so I call American Standard and tell them what is occuring. The rep assures me that I do not have to worry, that the bolts will be tight but I NEED to keep on tightening down the tank until the tank makes contact to bowl or otherwise the tank will rock. I tell them I can not believe that because the bolts are VERY tight. The rep assures me it WILL NOT BREAK. So I get off the phone and proceed to start tightening. The tank BREAKS. So I return the toilet and get a new one at Lowe's (not smart). On this toilet, I am tightening down the bolts and it is very tight once again. This time I go as far as I feel comfortable and I still have 1/8"" gap between tank and bowl. I leave it alone. I turn on the water and the tank begins to fill. It gets almost all the way filled and then I hear a slow faint cracking sound and then BLAM! the tank breaks and water goes all over the place. I return the toilet and buy her second choice (an Eljer Cadet I think it was).

I will never install another Champion toilet. The flushing system appears to be good, but from my experience and what I read on hear, there are MANY other issues with the champion.

I purchased a Champion from Home Depot in Aug, 2006, and a plumber installed it. In early October, the flush mechanism broke, making the toilet unflushable. I headed off to the American Standard store here in Fresno, CA. Guess what? They refuse to carry this toilet, because it has such bad design! The parts department manager felt sorry for me, as I had bought the toilet based on the (former) good name of American Standard, and had been assured it was a "great product, no problems" by Home Depot, so he sold me another toilet at the price a contractor would pay, this one with the good old flapper valve.

The reason I bought a whole new toilet: the Champion flush mechanism cannot be fixed, it can only be replaced, and this involves removing the whole top tank. The labor costs for this are nearly as much as replacing the whole toilet. So my plumber said, "Why take a chance on a second valve?" Amen! I then went to Home Depot to return the toilet, and they refused to accept it, based on health issues (toilet was used). I am out over $300.00 on this Champion, and will be glad to join any class action suit. I believe American Standard is guilty of dumping the defective toilets on the big box stores such as Home Depot, and Lowe's. Gail in Fresno, CA

Default Champion flush tower

I haven't had any problems with the Champion I installed about 5 months ago, but all the negative posts have me a bit worried. I found a link where they replaced the Champion flush tower with the flush valve/flapper from an Eljer Titan:

http://unitelater.com/s9y/index.php?...-Solution.html

has any one else done this? It scares me a bit that the tank opening on the Champion is 1/4 inch larger than the Titan - sounds like a possible leak spot. I like the idea of replacing the flush tower (if it eventually becomes a problem) with a flapper/flush valve. Sounds like a great opportunity for an after-market company .... has anyone found a good replacement for the Champion flush tower? If I eventually have to remove the tank, I only want to do it once and don't want to gamble on a replacement tower from AS.

I recently replaced a leaky Mansfield flush tower with a Fluidmaster flush valve/flapper for $10. No more leaks and it actually flushes better. Seems the flapper floats a bit before closing, probably using a little bit more water per flush.

Default Champion flush tower seal

I noticed that our local HD now has replacement seals for the Champion flush tower - for about $4. They also carry replacement 3 1/4" flappers for the Kohler Cimarron - both are from Korky....

Hi tichridgescott,

I have to say that a little common sense should have prevailed. When you though it was tight, it was, and you should have stopped with the wrench.

Ugh!!!!!

Add me to the list of Champion leakers.

Called AS and they are shipping entire flush tower assemble plus gasket, FedEx from Kentucky.

At least is clears better than the Dalton.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.

I bought a champion toilet and within a year the handle chain attached to the flushing mechanism inside was broke and I had to hold it together with a rubber band. Now 6 months later the entire inner system has failed to the point that it runs water all the time, makes loud noises all day and night. Not to mention that my previous much less expensive toilet lasted 20 years and this $253.00 worth of toilet purchased at Lowe�s lasted less than a year.

A. Hudson

bought 2 champion toilets and both have leaked for a long time. We have to turn the water valve on every time you want to flush because the red gasket comes off on almost every flush. Finally called AS today because no where we looked carried replacement parts, they said they would send us new gaskets (but still I'm out plumber bills) said I should recieve in 7 to 12 business days. They acted so suprised like I was the first one to call. I can't afford to go buy 2 new toilets afer paying for these but wish I could but guess I will still be out for the plumber. This toilet SUCKS!!
    Linda H.

You guys bought this toilet because it flushed 10 golf balls?

Who craps golf balls?

Maybe if it flushed a Boa Constrictor or an Anaconda or 18" of PVC pipe you would get some sympathy...

I buy the cheapest toilets that are still made in America and never have leaks or more than an infrequent kiss from a plunger.

Keep it simple and buy it cheap, you will be happier.

The lazymans way to fix the broken piston....
    I installed a Champion about 6 months ago, although it flushed fine with no solids in the bowl, I often had to double flush when solids were present. A couple of weeks ago the spring mechanism broke as V..S.French Tue, 26 Apr
    2005 explains in that post. I was not very happy about it but I must admit that with three boys the toilet got a lot of action those six months.
    I called American Standard and they were nice enough. Even without a receipt or warranty card they offered to (and did) replace the interior tower... which would require removing the tank to replace.
    Not looking forward to going through all that and being to stubborn and too cheap to pay the ransom plumbers want in my area, I improvised.
    Since I could manually flush the toilet by lifting the lid and then lifting the tower, I figured that I might be able to wrap something around the tower itself (since it is fluted toward the top), and connect that to the handle mechanism inside the tank.
    What I ended up using was a pair of those plastic "locking" pull ties that are used to tie cables together. You know the ones that you can pull tighter but can never pull back out.
    It took a couple of attempts to get the tensions correct but now I can flush the toilet as normal... Better in fact, since I can hold the tower open a second longer when the bowl is full of solids and whoosh - gone!
    I figure the plastic ties should last quite a while since they won't rust and water wont weaken them but even if one does fail, I got a whole pack for a buck or two and it would only take a few minutes to replace!
    Marc P