American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Users who are viewing this thread

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I bought a champion toilet and within a year the handle chain attached to the flushing mechanism inside was broke and I had to hold it together with a rubber band. Now 6 months later the entire inner system has failed to the point that it runs water all the time, makes loud noises all day and night. Not to mention that my previous much less expensive toilet lasted 20 years and this $253.00 worth of toilet purchased at Lowe�s lasted less than a year.

A. Hudson

Last edited by a moderator:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bought 2 champion toilets and both have leaked for a long time. We have to turn the water valve on every time you want to flush because the red gasket comes off on almost every flush. Finally called AS today because no where we looked carried replacement parts, they said they would send us new gaskets (but still I'm out plumber bills) said I should recieve in 7 to 12 business days. They acted so suprised like I was the first one to call. I can't afford to go buy 2 new toilets afer paying for these but wish I could but guess I will still be out for the plumber. This toilet SUCKS!!
Linda H.

Raucina

Reaction score
You guys bought this toilet because it flushed 10 golf balls?

Who craps golf balls?

Maybe if it flushed a Boa Constrictor or an Anaconda or 18" of PVC pipe you would get some sympathy...

I buy the cheapest toilets that are still made in America and never have leaks or more than an infrequent kiss from a plunger.

Keep it simple and buy it cheap, you will be happier.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The lazymans way to fix the broken piston....
I installed a Champion about 6 months ago, although it flushed fine with no solids in the bowl, I often had to double flush when solids were present. A couple of weeks ago the spring mechanism broke as V..S.French Tue, 26 Apr
2005 explains in that post. I was not very happy about it but I must admit that with three boys the toilet got a lot of action those six months.
I called American Standard and they were nice enough. Even without a receipt or warranty card they offered to (and did) replace the interior tower... which would require removing the tank to replace.
Not looking forward to going through all that and being to stubborn and too cheap to pay the ransom plumbers want in my area, I improvised.
Since I could manually flush the toilet by lifting the lid and then lifting the tower, I figured that I might be able to wrap something around the tower itself (since it is fluted toward the top), and connect that to the handle mechanism inside the tank.
What I ended up using was a pair of those plastic "locking" pull ties that are used to tie cables together. You know the ones that you can pull tighter but can never pull back out.
It took a couple of attempts to get the tensions correct but now I can flush the toilet as normal... Better in fact, since I can hold the tower open a second longer when the bowl is full of solids and whoosh - gone!
I figure the plastic ties should last quite a while since they won't rust and water wont weaken them but even if one does fail, I got a whole pack for a buck or two and it would only take a few minutes to replace!
Marc P

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I purchased a Champion toilet in Feb 2005 and have had nothing but problems with it ever since. American Standard should be ashamed of making this very expensive toilet then selling it to the public with defects they knew about but sold with the attitude, "Let the buyer beware". The day after installing this toilet it bagan to run and we had to shut the water off and called American Standard to hear them say, "we will send you new o-rings in the mail, you should get them in about 3 days." To which I replied, "And what are we supposed to do for a toilet?" And they said, "you will have to wait until the new o-rings come in the mail and install one and your problems will be solved." We called Lowes where we purchased the toilet and they came out immediatly with a new o-ring. The o-ring they installed failed soon after so I replaced it with one they sent and it failed soon after. I called American Standard and they said, "we have designed a new o-ring and we will send them in the mail and you will have no more problems." After using up 3 of the 4 o-rings I called again to be told, "your problem is not the o-ring but the tower, we will send you one in the mail.' To which I replied, "And who is going to install it?" And their reply, "Either you or a plumber, all we do is furnish parts." I have sinced gone on line to BBB of New Jersey to file a complaint and also went on line to investigate a "class action law suit". I have heard from a law firm and hope it goes forward.

Please advise all those who have complained to you to send their complaints the BBB of New Jersey. You can find them on line by going to BBB. Also post complaints online to "Class Action Lawsuit". I have done both and have heard from both and hope they investigate, which I am sure they will do if they receive enough complaints. I get nothing when I call American Standard except; "our warrenty covers on parts.".
1/20/2007
Robert Klein

Last edited:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tank to bowl gasket is not formed correctly. You can not tighten the bolts all the way to make the tank sit firmly on all four ceramic contact points. This will distort the tank to bowl gasket causing it to leak. As for the tower, it is also poorly designed. It needs a float to hold it open for a second so we don’t have to. Otherwise it won’t flush a single square of toilet paper. I made a temporary float for the tower out of spray paint can lids and wire ties. It also needs the whole chain position / tower catch thing rethought. My handle lever seems to be in the way and it’s too short of a distance to do any real adjustments. I can honestly say that I’ve never had a problem with the tower gasket. If this starts to give me problems, I’m sure I will replace the toilet immediately.
1/20/2007
T Causey

Racer814

Reaction score
I don't like ANYTHING made by American Standard. They USED to be a good brand....back when plumbers poured lead joints.

and as for the tank to bowl...I had a toilet like that this summer, can't remember the brand. Bolts were pretty tight but the tank was still rocking so I took it back up and cut 4 "spacers" out of 1/2" pex and made my own stops.:eek: ...worked like a charm:p

Indigo56524

Reaction score
Our American Standard Champion toilet is an insult. It is obvious AS did absolutely no testing of this terribly designed toilet before marketing it to the unsuspecting public. We ordered this toilet through our plumber and did not realize AS's reputation could not be relied on. Besides the poor design of the red "stopper" ring, we did not realize from photographs the top was rounded which does not allow us to store anything on the tank surface.
Replacing this nasty toilet will mean a trip to the landfill - including a disposal fee. Just how many thousands of these will end up in a landfill? Shame on AS for creating a product destined to be found by future archaeologists in such great numbers - not in homes, but in the trash. This is just one irresponsible example of manufacturers contributing to global warming via cheap products which must be replaced much too soon. Just think of the energy consumed by manufacturing & shipping of such junk.

BigBoschMan

Reaction score
Do these review's apply to both 1 pc.& 2 pc. Champions??

I have a client who has decided on the I pc. instead of my recommended Toto Supreme but judging from these response's I am ready to steer him otherwise.

He has opted for the 1 pc. & was really intrigued by the "victory lap" flush that AS claim's this Champion serie's has?

My client's concern is a complete flush with minimum water usage.

Any other alternative's??..Cost is'nt a problem.

BigBoschMan

Reaction score
Thanx for the quick respone Terry!

Sound's like it's something worth avoiding & i'll look over your review to make another decision.

Riker1384

Reaction score
Ours leaked and the float mechanism stopped working. They sent a whole new tower at no charge, but I only changed the seal. I kind of like having more control over the volume of the flush; I can empty the whole tank now if I want.

Stacy

Reaction score
Consumer Problems with American Standard Champion Toilets

My name is Stacy King and I am a paralegal at Mehri & Skalet, a Washington, D.C. law firm. Our firm is currently investigating consumer problems with American Standard Champion Toilets. If you are an owner of a American Standard Champion Toilet experiencing problems with your toilet and you would be interested in discussing the details of your situation, please contact me using the information below.

Email:sking@findjustice.com
Telephone: (202) 822-5100 ext. 123

Stacy King

WatFallet

Reaction score
Rebuttal

Stacy said:
My name is Stacy King and I am a paralegal at Mehri & Skalet, a Washington, D.C. law firm. Our firm is currently investigating consumer problems with American Standard Champion Toilets. If you are an owner of a American Standard Champion Toilet experiencing problems with your toilet and you would be interested in discussing the details of your situation, please contact me using the information below.

Email:sking@findjustice.com
Telephone: (202) 822-5100 ext. 123

Stacy King

Wow, a toilet chaser!

Can I second the motion?

I hope this case holds up in court. I wouldn't want any leaky arguments.

(har har)

[This was all in good humor. I hope nobody takes offense. If you think these jokes are off-color or foul-smelling, I promise to flush them off this board faster than a Toto with Gmax.]

EricTheBald

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Judging by this thread I apparently have the only functioning AS Champion toilet in existance. I bought it about a year and a half ago and the only problem has been the weak bowl wash that forces me to use a toilet brush essentially every time. Other than that I've been very happy with it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
aint life grand..toilet bowl wars......

Lawyers are so desperate that I have even gotten calls
from them over the possibility of starting a class action lawsuit....

I guess if they absolutely got to stick their heads into something , a nasty
Champion toilet bowl is as good a place as I
can think of.....

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The lazymans way to fix the broken piston....
I installed a Champion about 6 months ago, although it flushed fine with no solids in the bowl, I often had to double flush when solids were present. A couple of weeks ago the spring mechanism broke as V..S.French Tue, 26 Apr
2005 explains in that post. I was not very happy about it but I must admit that with three boys the toilet got a lot of action those six months.
I called American Standard and they were nice enough. Even without a receipt or warranty card they offered to (and did) replace the interior tower... which would require removing the tank to replace.
Not looking forward to going through all that and being to stubborn and too cheap to pay the ransom plumbers want in my area, I improvised.
Since I could manually flush the toilet by lifting the lid and then lifting the tower, I figured that I might be able to wrap something around the tower itself (since it is fluted toward the top), and connect that to the handle mechanism inside the tank.
What I ended up using was a pair of those plastic "locking" pull ties that are used to tie cables together. You know the ones that you can pull tighter but can never pull back out.
It took a couple of attempts to get the tensions correct but now I can flush the toilet as normal... Better in fact, since I can hold the tower open a second longer when the bowl is full of solids and whoosh - gone!
I figure the plastic ties should last quite a while since they won't rust and water wont weaken them but even if one does fail, I got a whole pack for a buck or two and it would only take a few minutes to replace!
1/25/2007
M. Paulina

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks