American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Champion Toilet - Ready for a class action suit

Two problems in two months: 1) Plastic catch/spring mechanism that raises flush valve broke 2) Red seal does not seal and resulting slow leak causes toilet to refill several times a day

Details:
Bought American Standard Champion Round Bowl toilet in Sept 2005 from Loews. Used their recommended plumber firm to install it.

Plumber told me it was a great toilet, but warned me that American Standard toilets Lowes purchased were made a little cheaper than their toilets purchased by plumbing supply houses. He went on to say that plumbing supply Champion toilets have a "blue seal" and Lowes' Champion's have a "red seal" and customers had complained that red seal didn't seal.

Didn't really put much weight in what he said and was just glad to have a toilet that worked well and flushed. Two months later the plastic spring mechanism broke and toilet would not flush at all!!!

Called American Standard and was told by a nice woman rep that my mechanism could not be fixed, but they would send me a new flush valve assembly. One problem it would take 6 WEEKS!!!

She also assured me that plumber was wrong because all American Standard toilets regardless of where they are sold are manufactured to same exact standards.

I had inlaws visiting the next week, so I "fixed" what could not be fixed by tediously attaching the cap to flush rod with small copper wire. I didn't use the spring at all. (This will only make sense if you examine the mechanism). Fix wasn't perfect because it would sometimes catch and not close flush valve, but a simple jiggle of the handle would release it.

When new flush valve assembly arrived I installed it only to find that the red seal on the new assembly would not seal the toilet. The old one may have not sealed either and I may just not have noticed.

Called American Standard again and they immediately shipped a new seal. I just installed it and I don't see that it is any different than old one. Will let you know if it still leaks. I happen to be out of food coloring to do a dye test.

In the meantime, I decided to do a search for "American Standard Champion complaints leak" and found this site and lo and behold I am not the only one with this problem. In fact there are so many of us that have this problem I am ready for a class action suit.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I purchased a Champion a month ago and had the same leaking gasket problem I have seen reported here. I examined the orange gasket of the flush valve and found that it was not seated correctly in the plastic slot. I seated it with my fingers and the leaking went away and has not reappeared. My problem at this point is that the chain pops of every few flushes. That is the answer I am seeking that lead me to find this web site. Other than the chain popping off, I am quite happy with the toilet so far.
S. Laughlin

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yep. Me too.
- I can live with the clunk.

- I fixed the "leaking flush seal" problem (AS sent revised seal out post hasteum) and it is not even worth a call to the local handyman, let alone the plumber. I fixed mine in less than 5 minutes and that includes my Nosey Rosy lookin' around time too. No tools required!

-The bowl "rinse" though, is just that - a RINSE. Even with soft water, after just 4 months a bowl ring started to form. My wife is a very fastidious house keeper and even scrubbing at least twice a week (aside from daily "touch ups") didn't prevent this! I think there's a double whammy that causes this:
#1) Not enough water surface area (Terry talks about this in his LFT article) so there's often artwork left after the flush. As a result, some of the minerals (everything's made of minerals, remember?) drift down into and/or are left in the water after a not so complete flush (water looks clean, no scuba divers, etc.). Whola - bowl ring! BTW, our water softness has been checked and is at the high end of the scale for purity/softness.
I think the water-surface position, shape, and areas need a good going over by engineering. This problem is (IMHO) at least partly a bowl design flaw.
Two work-arounds that help some are first - the ol' courtesy flush, and second - leave the newspapers, magazines, crossword puzzles (86-Down is FLUSH), cell phone(!) and PDA in another room!! Allows less drying time (you know what I mean).... Besides, sitting can lead to blood clots in the legs, 'roids and other nasty stuff; ask your MD!

#2) (no pun intended..) Too much bowl "rinse" velocity. Looks to me like the "rinse" water is just cruzin' over the stuff. With older "traditional" designs, the rinse water from the rim jets is slower resulting in longer contact with any offending material (taking into account that non-LFT toilets do take longer to refill of course). Hence, the "rinse" lasts longer and the debris has more "water contact time" allowing it to absorb more and dissolve or release more easily. I'm not an engineer, but it looks kinda' like washing bird ***** off your car - High pressure, high velocity nozzle gets rid of the big chunks, but wetting it with a mist or spray first allows it to soften so it's easier to remove by scrubbing or THEN the high pressure nozzle.

American Standard is off to a good albeit shaky start, but I think the rinse velocity, and bowl metrics need work before they call this a "Champion". And, YES Virginia, you can choke this horse - half a roll of heavy single-ply will do it (hey, I had to find out - right?). The clog was however easily "moved along" with only the help of the always handy scrub brush. I'm not a plumber or an engineer, I just have way too much free time.......................................

Peace,
Bob in AZ

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I've had more problems than we should for a year's use. All three in our new house have had problems. However, ours have a lifetime guarantee and AS has cheerfully replaced all parts for free. I have a new flush tower now that I replace parts out of. Besides that, if your spring goes, you can hot-wire the flush tower and get 3 gallons a flush.

I have two more bathrooms to go and I don't think we'll buy the Champion again...

-dayl

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have the same nightmare as everyone else, can't find a flush valve seal unless you contact A S. I have a TOTO toilet in my high traffic area of the house and it is older than the Champion I purchased for my son's bathroom and have NO problems whatsoever. Will NOT purchase another A S product in the future. Screw A S! ********* should pull this crap off the shelves and tell A S to go F---- themselves. When I want a part, I expect it to be on the shelve at ********* and not have to play telephone tag with the manufacturer. Wish I had found your site sooner. M. Harrison 4/9/06

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Terry,

Seems I should read consumer reports on any purchase. I have learned the hard way, I guess. I assumed Home Depot would not be selling this great sounding Champion American Standard 2 piece toilet if it would not work properly for years. The 10 year warranty made it sound perfect for our bathroom remodeling project. The old Sears one had been there since 1980 or so. (I guess it was not so bad after all?? )

I like everyone else suddenly have water leaking into the bowl from the tank due to the flush seal not staying seated. It did work for abt 6 months before the problem developed. I hope to be able to get a couple of new seals from AS when I call them Monday. Of course it was Friday evening I discovered the constant running of the toilet and I cannot get help from AS support until Monday. Bummer. I hate it that NO PARTS are available locally to fix this problem. You would think something so simple as a little seal could be found in the correct size !! Somewhere, some hardware store, you know?? We have only one bathroom in our older bungelow (1921) home. Reseat the seal after each flush, yes, its what we do and also turn off the water when not using.

Thanks Terry for running this product review. I only wish I had looked for it earlier.

Mary Lou
Indpls, IN

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A REAL PIECE OF CRAP!!!!! POORLY DESIGNED !!! THIS TOILET IS NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!! I HAD THE TANK REPLACED BY AMERICAN STANDARD ( WHICH ONLY NEEDED THE FLUIDMASTER 400A VALVE REPLACED)-JUNK TOO!! BUT THEY INSISTED THEY WANTED TO SEND ME A NEW TANK ( WHICH NOW I SCAB PARTS FROM). HOME DEPOT SELLS THIS PIECE OF JUNK AND HAS NO IDEA OF ITS FAULTS. YOU CANNOT REPLACE THE FLUSH VALVE ASSEMBLY WITH A CONVENTIONAL ONE. THE HOLE ON THE TANK IS MUCH LARGER THAN A STANDARD TANK. HOME DEPOT DOE NOT CARRY THIS SPECIAL, POORLY ENGINEERED FLUSH VALVE ASSEMBLY IN STOCK. THE SEAL ON THE BOTTOM OF THE FLUSH VALVE IS A JOKE. I'VE TRIED TO FIND A EXTRA LARGE O-RING, SO FAR NO LUCK. I AM GOING TO GIVE AMERICAN STANDARD HELL MONDAY AM AND HOPE THEY BY NOW HAVE THIS ENGINEERING FIASCO IMPROVED!! I HAVE INSTALLED MANY OTHER BRANDS OF TOILETS AND FOUND THIS TO FLUSH BETTER THAN ANY OTHERS, BUT WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS THAT I HAVE HAD, I WOULD RATHER HAVE A BACKYARD OUTHOUSE INSTEAD!
Jeff Cluster
Arnold, Mo.

GAW

Reaction score
Replace the flush valve w/ Eljer Titan valve

After a year of fighting the two AS champions in my home, I broke down and bought two Eljer Titan tanks ($119.00 each) at Lowes. The Eljer valve is 1/4" smaller than the Champion valve, but fits with no leaks if you use the Champion gasket.

Eljer uses a no-nonsense 3" flapper. Both my toilets now flush every time, with no flush valve leaking. Pictures here .

If anyone ever wants to get that class action suit going against AS, I want my name on that list!

ncMike

Reaction score
A.S. Customer Service

jimbo said:
In the interest of fairness I offer the following:
1) I use the website all the time. Works fine.

2) Champion does have a 10 year warranty, and seem to respond quickly to consumer problems.

I called them this afternoon:

me: I need a replacement seal for a Champion flush valve.

tech: Of course, sir. We'll send it out today. What is your address?

I hate having the problem, but that's good customer service. Perhaps it's a result of all of you who have gone before me...

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2006

I installed the champion toilet about 2 months ago and have been happy with the power of the flushing. Before this we have had to use a plunger about once a week on the old toilet. This week the flushing assembly broke and we were unable to flush at all. The inner parts on the assembly just fell apart. While attempting to fix the problem, I realized that all you needed to flush the toilet was to raise the outer tube on the assembly. So I took out all the inner parts of the assembly and attached the chain to a small hole (which was already there) on the outer tube. It works great. Not only does it flush, but it uses all the water in the tank AND the clunking sound is gone. Although it has only been a short time since I have done this, there haven?t been any problems this far.

R Webb

Any opinions on this would be gladly accepted.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2006

We need an attorney to file a class action on American Standard for the champion 4260 toilet. Do not buy it. It has give us nothing but trouble since we have had it. It leaks past the flush valve costing water. We have tried everything. It is now time to take them to court!!!!!
Donmy

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Fri, 5 May 2006

I purchased an American Standard Champion toilet model 4260 about a year ago from Home Depot. I paid $ 250.00 for the toilet not including the cost of a plumber to install the toilet. I purchased this toilet because a plumber recommended I buy this toilet. This toilet used a marketing tool that you could flush a dozen golf balls down the toilet and it would not clog. Recently my toilet began leaking and I tried everything to fix it myself. I discovered the orange colored seal was causing the leak. This seal looks like a rubber band. I had to pay a plumber $ 75.00 to tell me I need a new seal. At this point I am very unhappy about the money I have invested in a worthless toilet. A new seal will cost a few dollars, but will this solve my problem with this toilet, or will the same thing happen every few months. I would like to know what I should do about this problem.

Sincerely,
Keith James

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tue, 16 May 2006

All in all, I'm pretty happy with our American Standard Champion model 4260 installed mid-2005. EXCEPT for two things: One, the flush handle keeps falling off. We cannot seem to fix it. Tips? Anyone else having this problem. It's just annoying. Also, our downstairs toilet (a regular type) had to be replaced earlier this year as it backed up and flooded. The plumber said that 1.6 gallon toilets often do this to sewer mains and recommended that we flush all toilets in the house randomly during the day to keep the lines clear. Comments?
Linda R

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sun, 21 May 2006

We installed two Champion toilets in September of 2005.. Unfortunately, I did not run across your site before we did so. We have been generally disappointed with the toilets for most of the reasons others have been, except, thank God, they have not leaked. They are indeed nosily when flushed, do not totally evacuate all the little bits and pieces of "stuff", do not have enough water in the bowl, so thee is always a little "matter", it seems, to be scraped off the ceramic. But these issues are pretty much standard fair for the 'new and improved" 1.6 gallon toilets, that our politicians have mandated . But now I am up against it with an issue that is driving me nuts! the flush tower is made of plastic and comes in essentially two [ there are numerous smaller pieces making them up] separate units . the top portion, or piston, is connected to the bottom part by a series of small plastic pieces held together by a spring. Well, the darn thing came apart and I am having a devil of a time getting parts, or having it repaired. it is a week end, so I will follow up with every channel on Monday, but after reading all the stories here, I am sure I will ned to replace the entire tank. what a darn waste. Also, what the heck happened to American manufacturing? we used to have toilets and parts of toilets last for many years, if not many decades. Now they do not even last a couple of years! The politicians started this toilet capper, by mandating the ridiculous 1.6 gallon pieces of junk.

TTFN.. Sal Lorenzini

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tue, 23 May 2006

Are there any lawyers out there that have one of these lovely toilets so we could start a class action suit. This is ridiculous that American Standard is allowed to sell a product like this.

Our toilets were installed by Lowes and we were never given any kind of warranty papers. There is also the cost and wast of all the water that is run while these things leak.
Cheryl M

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
May 24, 2006

I am renovating my house and purchased two Champion toilets. Consumer Reports said they are their "Best Buy". We had one installed in my children's bathroom and the other one is going back! The clunk when you flush it is awful. I have to pay a $75.00 restocking fee to the plumbing supply company but, good riddens. No where did American Standard state in any of their literature or online on their website that it was aggravating to listen too. The one that is already installed can't go back but, I'll have to set the rule that there is no flushing of that toilet at night so everyone doesn't have to hear it.

D. Moran May 24, 2006

I forgot to add this: I called American Standards Technical Support on May 23, 2006 and asked them if anyone has complained about the noise, she said No.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Fri, 26 May 2006

Do not buy the AS champion. I just took back the tank and Lowes was very kind and replaced it with a new one. The original purchase and install was done in May 2005 and began leaking 6 months later. After installing the replacement tank today (May 2006), it also immediately began leaking from the bowl into the tank.

I wished I has done my homework and had read all the user comments and experiences on this page about the AS champion. It would have saved me a lot of time and money. I'm on my way not to by the Eljer Titan. I've installed 2 of these at my in-laws and they work great.

jscott Madison, MS

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mon, 05 Jun 2006

Hello Terry. After reading of these problems I rushed to register my
Warranty on my new American Champion Toilet. The web page did not
work, so I mailed the Warranty. I received it back undeliverable. I
am concerned particularly about the occasional slipped/missed flushes
when pressing the handle. I read that a few broke and fear that
might happen to me.
One thing I would like to ad that I found during installation of
this made in Brazil American Standard toilet is the poor quality
control in leveling. It was not possible to level the bowl and tank,
and this was not due to my floor or collar. I did my best, thinking
this would be typical today, which I learned later was not the case.
I did not have any problem with an Elger I installed, and the Kohler
I installed was good except for a slight rock back and forth, but I
believe it was my floor that was not level in that case. A plastic
shim and grout caulk fixed that. The tank and bowls met perfectly on
the Elger Titan and Kohler Cimmaron. As for bringing the tank to the
bowl, I learned as a former landlord that the seals shrink from cold
water. So, after a week and 3 tightenings, I got one corner of the
tank to meet the bowl on the Champion. I will not tighten it any
more because it will take it further from level.
I will e-mail back if the flush mechanism breaks. I definitely
would not purchase another Champion, and would not have if I knew of
the type of flushing mechanism. Should have done more internet
research prior to purchase. The Elger Titan and Kohler Cimmaron are
simpler and more conventional, and I would recommend them both.
As for smell, I reccommend a "courtesy flush" immediatly after a
bowl movement, not only at home, but at work, public places, friends,
neighbors, relatives, etc.
Goodbye,
Stephen Perkowski

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks