American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Users who are viewing this thread

Amanda Stone

Reaction score
I have a question: will my Toto seat fit on the Champion 4?
I'm planning to renovate the toilet, but I don't want to change the seat.

sw554_zoom.jpg

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Amanda,
I don't think any bidet seats or Washlets will fit on the Champion 4 with the curve on the bowl before it meets the tank.

champion-round-front.jpg

I don't think a bidet seat works on the bowl, notice how it curves upward toward tank.
This their round bowl, (regular). I mainly have been selling elongated bowls.

Last edited:

Dennispug

Reaction score
champion_cathy.jpg

Made in Mexico

I have 2 American Standard Champion toilets.. I am having the same problems the everyone is reporting ( Leaking Flush Value and
Wobbling tank on back of toilet)… I called 1-800-442-1902 and talked with American Standard today! I was advised that the installer
most likely did not tighten my toilet tight enough, the seal at the bottom of the tank is really thick and they suggested that I tighten
each nut a few turns at a time to tighten the tank. Also they are sending me new seals to install on the bottom of the flush arm,
they said the new seals are tougher and will stop the leaking.. I LOVE the flush that I am getting and have had no problem until now
and I believe that they are helping me get these issue resolved..
Mon, 2 Jan 2006
Joe

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Dennispug

Reaction score
champion_cathy.jpg

Made in Mexico

I have 2 American Standard Champion toilets.. I am having the same problems the everyone is reporting ( Leaking Flush Value and
Wobbling tank on back of toilet)… I called 1-800-442-1902 and talked with American Standard today! I was advised that the installer
most likely did not tighten my toilet tight enough, the seal at the bottom of the tank is really thick and they suggested that I tighten
each nut a few turns at a time to tighten the tank. Also they are sending me new seals to install on the bottom of the flush arm,
they said the new seals are tougher and will stop the leaking.. I LOVE the flush that I am getting and have had no problem until now
and I believe that they are helping me get these issue resolved..
Mon, 2 Jan 2006
Joe

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Dennispug

Reaction score
I use the things that go behind the toilet tank, a plastic bracket that goes between the toilet and the wall, and helps keep the toilet tank from leaning towards the wall. This helps a great deal, and seems really relevant if the tank is heavy.

Elton Noway

Reaction score
After searching this forum for Champion 4 and reading so many complaints I felt I should throw in my two cents. Have there been problems reported? Yes... but like a visit to an expensive restaurant... if you get a bad meal or experience lousy service you tell everyone but very few people go out of their way to report the good food or service.

I purchased my first Champion 4 in 2009 after seeing the golf ball flushing commercial and to hopefully combat a toilet in our half bath that needed plunging several times a month after flushing solid waste. FACT: Fourteen years on and we have not needed but plunge it once. Awesome flushing! No complaints!

So pleased with its performance in 2018 during a remodel we purchased two more Champion 4 toilets, one for our master bath and one for our upstairs bath. I can report we have not had a single ghost flush, failed valve or needed to replace the flapper seals.

NOTE: I personally installed all three toilets. During each installation I seriously cranked down on the tank to bowl bolts and have never had the dreaded tank wobble so many complain about (which occurs when not adequately tightened).

Fast forward to Dec 4th 2023... First Problem :( While we found no water on the floor my wife discovered a hairline crack in the upstairs toilet bowl purchased. I completed a online customer service form explaining the issue and included a photo of the crack.
Bowl.jpg

The same day, only four hours later. I received a reply email from American Standard apologizing for the problem and informing me a new bowl was being shipped out via FedEx along with a tank to toilet installation kit with gaskets bolts, seals and a new wax ring! :) Awesome response with No hassles. Very impressed. Other than mentioning the model number and installation date I provided on line I did not have to provide proof of purchase.

NET: Granted I'm now faced with the hassle of having to pull and replace the bowl (basically an entire new installation process) I can't complain about the quick response and resolution by American Standard. Would I buy them again? Absolutely!

FYI ( NOT RELEVENT) : As to the ghost flushing problem and subsequent class action lawsuits... I'm not sure American Standard ever identified a net cause but I have my own suspicion. HISTORY: I live on a well which means no chlorine in the water. The reason I bring this up is I was part of R&D group testing a planned, new to market (i.e. expensive) $3K espresso machine. Within two years 8 of the 10 machines experienced main seal failures (leaks and flooding) of the boiler groups. As it turned out my machine and the other unit that didn't failure was both were on private wells. It was ultimately determined the chlorine was causing the seals to deteriorate. An new seal material was selected and the problem was resolved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks