(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

I too have had issues with the American Standard Champion toilet. I purchased two to install in my home about three years ago (2005). Had no major issues until one lost the E clip on the center shaft of the flush actuator. I got online and saw the slew of complaints about this issue and that it was difficult to get parts. Called American Standard and they told me 3 to 6 months, unbelievable. So I tool matters into my own hands and "Reverse Engineered" a solution. you need a small plastic washer and an E clip from the hardware store. Shave the sides off the washer to make it flat so that it will fit between the plastic posts that surround the center shaft, the place the E clip on the slotted section of the shaft. That fixed the problem there.
    About a month ago, I noticed that the toilet was running every so often, and checked to see that the flapper valve seal had been dislodged. I reseated the flapper seal, but the issue persists CONSTANTLY. A huge disappointment, that I have to address yet another issue.
    Overall the toilets have been a good unit, yes they do make an audible noise when you flush. But that was well worth being able to throw away my plunger, as i have never had to plunge the unit even once in the three years they have been installed.
    C. Curtis
    Denver, CO

Wow, I came here for advice to fix a small leaking on 2 of three of these toilets to discover I mine as well replace all 3 toilets with something other than American Standard Champions. I don't want to go through a series of nightmares replacing valves to have it break again.....where can I get a completely different toilet from another company- one more responsible ?
    K Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review View Post
    I too have had issues with the American Standard Champion toilet. I purchased two to install in my home about three years ago (2005). Had no major issues until one lost the E clip on the center shaft of the flush actuator. I got online and saw the slew of complaints about this issue and that it was difficult to get parts. Called American Standard and they told me 3 to 6 months, unbelievable. So I tool matters into my own hands and "Reverse Engineered" a solution. you need a small plastic washer and an E clip from the hardware store. Shave the sides off the washer to make it flat so that it will fit between the plastic posts that surround the center shaft, the place the E clip on the slotted section of the shaft. That fixed the problem there.
    About a month ago, I noticed that the toilet was running every so often, and checked to see that the flapper valve seal had been dislodged. I reseated the flapper seal, but the issue persists CONSTANTLY. A huge disappointment, that I have to address yet another issue.
    Overall the toilets have been a good unit, yes they do make an audible noise when you flush. But that was well worth being able to throw away my plunger, as i have never had to plunge the unit even once in the three years they have been installed.
    C. Curtis
    Denver, CO
    I fixed mine, check my message.
    ricksrest
    7/20/2008
    Please let me know if it works for you.
    Rick

Default Experience with the new flush valves and the one piece Champion

I'm liking the ONE piece Champion toilet with the NEW Champion4 flush valve. That's a combination that I think desires a little higher praise than the general Champion-bashing here might indicate.

History:
    - Bought 3 Champions in 2005 to replace all three of our 25-year-old toilets, one two piece right-height elongated and two one piece elongated.
    - The design of the flush valves has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a toilet (well, at least in the TANK of a toilet). One look was enough to tell you that there was absolutely no way they would last. Somebody at AS needs a lesson in KISS design.

Two piece experience:
    - Installation of the two-piece was a nightmare due to the tank installation issues everyone has discussed: gasket too thick, support points lower in back than front, tank rocked, etc.
    - The flush valve in the two-piece broke after about 2-3 days (some little clip came off in the top and springs and stuff fell out). I took it apart and fixed it with little things from ACE hardware, very similar to the fix described by the previous poster.
    - The loud knock when you flush has been highly irritating.
    - About 1 out of every 5-10 flushes, the plastic catch on the tower wouldn't hold and the valve would never open (i.e. no flush).
    - I'm convinced that a hard quick press on the handle would have totally FUBAR'd the flush valve, but we babied it and it kept working (usually).
    - When it flushed, and ignoring the loud knock, it flushed great. Never a clog.

One piece experience:
    - Installation of the one-piece toilets was a breeze, very easy.
    - Flush action didn't seem quite as robust as the two piece, but still WAY better than our previous 3.5g toilets which required regular unclogging, and better than any other 1.6g one piece that I've seen.
    - We've never had a clog with either one piece.
    - After about 18 months, one of the one-piece flush valves started leaking, causing tank water to drop. But the fill valve didn't come on until the water was too low to flush effectively, so often the toilet just wouldn't flush (not enough water) and you'd have to wait for it to refill and try again.

Fast forward to August 2008:
    - After reading this forum and learning about the new flush valves, I just replaced the flush valves in all three toilets with the new design.
    - This was a very simple 10-minute process on the one piece toilets, and a royal pain on the two piece due to having to remove the tank (although reseating the tank was a lot easier than the first time I did it, since I knew to stop short of trying to hit the rear tabs).

Experience so far with the new flush valves:
    - It takes a little more pressure on the handle to lift the valve, but we're getting used to it. But compared to other toilets (not just the previous Champion valve), it seems like it takes a little too much pressure.
    - The flush action is much quieter -- no more loud knocks from the two piece or softer knocks from the one piece.
    - Flush action seems just as effective, at least when you hold the handle down for a couple of seconds.
    - A quick press on the handle results in a "partial flush" that doesn't fully empty the tank down to the bottom of the valve opening. The flush action on these toilets is so good that even this partial flush does OK in most cases, but these valves do seem to close a little more quickly than they should.
    - Holding the handle down for a couple of seconds until the tank has fully emptied results in a more thorough flush.
    - The combination of the extra pressure required to start the flush and the tendency of the valve to close before the tank is fully empty makes me think the valve is a little too "heavy" in the water and could benefit from floatation material to make it a little closer to neutral buoyancy. I'm thinking about adding a float of some sort to the chain, although getting the right buoyancy without causing gaskets leaks could be a little tricky.
    - Even with the nit-picks, I would say that these valves are FAR superior to the previous designs.

If I were buying a new toilet now, I would consider the Champion one piece as long as it had the new flush valve design. I have no major complaints with the one piece other than the old flush valve design.

I don't think I will ever buy another two piece toilet. I've always hated installing or doing repairs on them due to the many problems with leaking tank bolts or tank-to-bowl gaskets (it's the dang bolts that I've had the most problems with), but the Champion two piece design problems pushed me over the edge. I'm probably overreacting, but I'm just not seeing the point in putting myself through that pain. The one piece designs are more attractive and a lot easier to keep clean, too.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-03-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the Champion two piece design problems pushed me over the edge.
    I'm a plumber, and I hated installing the Champion two-piece.
    Way too heavy,
    Hard to get at tank bolts
    Hard to get at seat bolts
    Way to big and bulky in a bathroom.

I found the Champion to be an excellent clog free toilet. True, the internal parts are made of spit and a prayer and it can be noisy. The manufacturer has been very responsive for the replacement parts that I ordered for three toilets. There is a phone number on the Am. Standard web site and they gave me a registration number to use if I need them to send me parts. The parts were sent to me within three or four days. There has never been a charge for replacement parts.

I really do not understand all of the complaints - some may be misuse. My original installation was for a total house renovation for my daughter. The Champion was a new model and my daughter had always had a problem with toilets and the plunger was always nearby. She has not had to use a plunger with the Champions and never needs to flush more than once. Her toilets get lots of use with two young children and their friends and many visitors.

The internal mechanism is easy to replace if you follow the written instructions. I had a very unhandy relative replace the mechanism in about five minutes.

The new model, Champion 4, has a more robust mechanism and is quieter. I have used this model on another renovation job (3 toilets) and so far, so good. It appears to be a great model.

Well I can't complain about the flush. I have had one for IDK how long now got the new style flush valve and replaced it last year.. thought my problems were over.. but now it still runs in the middle of the night can't see anything wrong with the poly seal ring under the flush valve or the plastic parts themselves but when I pull the toilet to replace the floor this one will go in the garbage.. flush = superb, noise better with the new valve, like Terry says big, heavy, hard to get at bolts, keep spare parts on hand, doesn't even have an insulated tank for all that money, and big as 2 normal toilets, just an abortion, wish I would have found this site when I first bought it a couple years ago. Next will be a Drake

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Did you read this thread?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thumbs down American Standard Champion4

I purchased 2 of the American Standard Champion4 in August 2008. Fortunately, I decided to have only one installed to see how we would like it. There are definitely problems with this toilet:
    [*]the valve leaked[*]on flushing, the water came up into the bowl like a geyser[*]fecal particles were deposited on the bowl---extra flushes would not remove the matter. Toilet bowl cleaner and brush were necessary.

In contacting American Standard thru the 800 number:
    The phone would ring and then disconnect.

After months of trying, I finally spoke to someone. She was extremely rude. After hearing my complaints, she said, "Well, that's the way the toilet is." She stated that the warranty did not cover my complaints. I requested that a supervisor call me. She tried to brush me off also. After much arguing, she finally agreed that she would authorize my returning the toilet to the place of purchase for a refund. Of course, I still had the installation expenses. :-(

I purchased 2 Kohler Highline and am pleased with them. I have other Kohler products. In speaking with Kohler, they have been very courteous, knowledgable, and professional. American Standard should take lessons.

I have a problem with my new (June 2008) American Standard Champion toilet. It very often constantly runs.. and I have to open it up and play with the gasket at the bottom of the flush mechanism to fix it. Sometimes it takes several times doing this, to stop the running.

Besides it being annoying, I am wasting a lot of water, and
    adding to my water bill.

James A
    River Edge, NJ

i bought an american standard champion about 2 years ago. just recently have had a problem with the gasket leaking,lowes and home depot have the gasket. replaced gasket and still leaked. found the problem!!! when you install the gasket you must go around it to make sure it fits properly. if you don't it will leak. i found out by accident- looking at the gasket it looked like there was about 1" that looked in more than the rest. guess what it wasn't seated right. now i know what to do. the instructions don't say anything about this. who knew this was the problem!!! steve

Default Assembling the 2-Piece Champion 4

Just wanted to share my experience with assembling the 2-piece American Standard Champion 4. Bought it at Lowe's and installed it earlier this week (Dec 2008).

1. Install the toilet seat BEFORE you set the bowl in place. Do it with the bowl lying on its side. This makes it possible to tighten down the one "hidden" nut that's very hard to get at. I had to use a "bare" socket (no wrench attached) to tighten that hidden nut.
    2. Yes, when you first set the tank on the bowl, the gasket seems WAY too thick. But it will come together, if you just take your time.
    3. Don't use that shoddy tool that Am Std includes. Use a socket wrench to tighten the tank-to-bowl bolts.
    4. Tighten each bolt alternately, maybe two or three turns at a time. You won't need another person to "throw all their weight onto the tank as you tighten". But you may need to gently press down on the side of the tank that you're tightening.
    5. Using the socket wrench, you will feel when you've tightened as far as you ought to (don't force it!). I was able to get the tank to contact the front ribs on the bowl, but had to stop tightening before I got contact with the back ribs. There was perhaps a 1/4" gap remaining between the tank and the back ribs. But that's OK, because the tank does not wobble at all, the gasket is well-compressed and leak free, and the top of the tank is level enough.
    6. After the gasket has "set" for a while (a few weeks?), it may be possible to go back and tighten the bolts further, and bring the tank down to the back ribs. But if it doesn't leak, I see no reason to have to do that.
    7. The flush is good and there's a reassuring (but quiet) "thunk" to it.
    8. I'll keep a watchful eye and hope the flush valve doesn't begin leaking, as so many have reported. This is one of three toilets in our house, so it won't see a tremendous amount of duty, but I wanted to have at least one good flusher as the "go-to" unit, if you know what I mean.

Thanks to all on this forum for your advice.

Retired general contractor enginepaul's Avatar

Default I don't have all theese problems

I'm not sure when I installed the first one, but I have about ten of these in various properties and three in my home. None have leaked and all work fine.
    One tenant has problems cleaning the lowest part of the bowl due to a poor finish. I'll keep buying them if the finish is good - next time I'll check a little better before installing.

Is there a "fix" for the Champion 4260?

We bought three and all three are having the same problems of the red gaskets leaking causing a refill every hour, handle disconnects, inadequate water flow through the bowl, the "clunking" noise during the flush activation and a proper tank setting.

Is there a contact at American Standard that can resolve this problem?

DS in Clemson

I bought American Standard and Korky replacement flush valve seals and neither stopped the problem on my one piece #2004 Champion.

As I was turning the cylinder that the ring mounts on I noticed that there are three "ears" on the cylinder and three nubs where they land in the seat area.
    I used a standard plier to grab each ear and bend it up. I reached in through the slot where the float that has some unknown function mounts.

Now the seal ring is able the press down on the seat and it seems to work fine.

Best of luck,
    Rick