American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Users who are viewing this thread

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
champion crappy toilet

just called American standard, I have a champion crappy toilet also, never sent in my warranty card, told them the date stamped in the tank, was told I had a ten year warranty, there sending me a whole new flush assembly, the new style #3174.200 and new tank bolts being that the tank has to be removed to replace the flush valve,thanks to everyone's input.
jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just asked Cathy last night what she thinks of her Champion toilet.
She says she's willing to trade her Champion for a Toto.
She's used both, and prefers the Toto.

As she put it,

"She would take the Toto Drake over the Champion any day of the week!"

champion_cathy.jpg

Cathy's Champion she would like to trade.

She has a TOTO Aquia dual flush in the upstairs bath.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/macys-lynnwood

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
I have a question about changing out the flush valve. Do I need to take the entire toilet out (I know to take the tank off) from the floor to do this? I hope not.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Looks like you only need to take the tank off.

attachment.php

champion-tank-outlet.jpg

Wburkett

Reaction score
New Seal Installed

Thanks to everyone who’s contributed to this thread over the years. It was a lot of help during our latest round of trouble with our Champion toilets.

Ours were installed in late 2005 (I think), during construction of our house. In that time we’ve gone through quite a few of the original-style flush towers, with those blue valves or whatever they are being installed about a year ago. One of them began leaking a few weeks ago and that’s when I found this thread and learned American Standard had yet another fix.

I called them and ordered the newest fix kit. The operator said they were backordered and it would take two to three weeks, but mine arrived in about a week. They sent three fix kits even though I have only two toilets. It kind of makes me wonder how much faith they have in these things. The kit consists of a new seal for the bottom of what they call the “poppett†and a new o-ring for where the chain connects. I’ll be happy to scan and post the instructions if that’ll be helpful to anyone.

I made the repair a week ago. It was very easy and I am not a handy person at all. I didn’t detect any bubbles in the old seal, although there did seem to be some minimal hard-water deposits on it. Otherwise, the new one seemed identical to the old.

So far, so good. The tank is holding water. We’ll see how it’s faring in a year, which seems to be the life of these things.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have been struggling with my Champion toilet for 3 years. After reading the possibility of replacing the flush tower with a Eljer Titan flush valve, I ordered one from Locke Plumbing which cost about $24 and change with the shipping. I installed the Titan flush valve keeping it centered and I used the old flush tower sealing gasket. It is wide enough to accept the smaller valve. I haven't had any leakage and get a good flush every time. Not quite as powerful, however, the flush is more than adequate.
I replaced the fill valve as it was sticking on the very small bumps on the stem the float rides on as it comes up to shut off the water flow. I replaced it with the plastic after market quiet valve from Home Depot. The after market valve has a safety device to prevent it from refilling if the flush vale leaks. I used the fill line for the bowl from the American Standard fill valve. It fit perfectly into the Titan flush valve.
I now love my Champion toilet, no clogging and no leaks.
I made the repairs for approximately $35 which is more cost effective than a new toilet.
Do it, it works.

P. Pollot
Rochester NY

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would like to post my experience with 3 Champion toilets and one Antiquity all by American Standard. They are only 2 years old and there are only 2 of us in the home.

The 3 champions send water upwards when flushed--wonderful--and depending on what is in the bowl it is disgusting! You have this on your butt or on the floor. Then you have to get out the mop and disinfectant to clean up after each use. American Standard is the S__TS! That should be their logo. I have had 3 plumbers look at these toilets and no one has an answer!! One of the toilets has the clunk that everyone else is talking about.

Then the Antiquity, it is the worst of the bunch--another AS product. I am ready to replace with Toto! I can't believe this CRAP---literally!

American Standard should be ashamed. And the topper is, even before my toilets were installed, there was a recall. Just because I didn't know about it and then called about the clunk and water washing your ass, they told me and guess what???? I had to pay $90 to have their recalled piece installed.

I even contacted the AS rep in this area and he was absolutely no help and told me to call customer service! Yeah, right--like I really am going to get any service from them. American Standard should have to refund all my money for products, plumbers and pay for 4 ToTo's for my home!!!

What a sham!!!

Nancy Taylor
La Center Wa

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Terry.....

That's a fair statement.
I sell the Dalton round front with high bowl for $185
I had one installed in the home for a while.
It worked well.

I have stumbled on a champion bone toilet today and I am wondering if they have ever resolved their flush assembly mess ....

the repair replace ment parts are available for about 50 bucks but I dread getting involved in this mess if they are not reliable....

I would rather just change the tolet out with a gerber rather than make 5 trips out there on bad parts I installed..

have you heard anything about the reapir parts???

fear and dread in indy

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the repair replace ment parts are available for about 50 bucks but I dread getting involved in this mess if they are not reliable....

The word I'm getting is that the replacements are lasting about a year.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Flush Tower that the seal goes on is defective too.
American Standard has been replacing the entire flush valve, as they have realized that they are junk, and the class action suit has brought attention to that fact.
You can keep popping seals in, but if you have the Champion flush tower, rather than repair it, call American Standard and have them send a replacement flush tower.
They will know all about it.
Terry

Not sure if you all were already aware of this, but FYI - Korky offers a replacement Champion rubber seal ring, part number 428BP. Lowes has it.

http://korky.com/Flapper428BP.html

Last edited:

Merillon

Reaction score
Replacing tank parts in American Standard Champion

I bought a newly-contructed condo 2.5 years ago, and it came with an American Standard toilet installed. I've had the flush valve break on me twice already, and I'm at a point where I simply want to replace it with something new. As far as I can tell, I think it is a Champion 4, but I am not very experienced with toilets, and I'm having difficulty verifying this. Here is a photo:

toilet.jpg

I was hoping to confirm that this is the Champion 4, and also find out what I should buy to replace it? As far as I can tell, it seems that American Standard has released an upgraded version. My building has a new super, and he told me he could get me a new valve for $150, which seems beyond absurd and a complete ripoff. If anyone has some insight based on this photo, I would really appreciate it.

Merillon

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Terry! I just spoke to American Standard and they are sending me the new flush valve.

champion_install_10.jpg

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
As far as looks, it is way better than the Toto Drakes I had installed in my previous home. They were too small in my opinion and looked like something you might install in a child's bathroom. The tank looked so dinky against the wall and set away from the wall about 3-4 inches. This basically negated any advantage you might think you get with a smaller footprint because the edge of the bowl was still about the same distance from the wall as a "normal" size toilet like the Champion 4. The Champion 4 has a nice, full size tank that fits right up next to the wall with a 12" rough-in.

I hope 3-4" away from the wall is an exaggeration.
Not sure which Drake you have round front has a 3/4" gap and elongated has a 1-1/8" gap.
Champion 4 has a 1" gap.

Maintenance will be the determining factor and only time will tell on that. If I just have to replace a couple of seals every 2-3 years like i would have to replace the flapper on the Drake, I will be very happy with my purchase. Oh, and did I mention that the Champion 4 is about $100 cheaper than the Drake and has a 10 year warranty?

Maintenance would be on the top of my list, i would rather pay the extra to have a trouble free unit.
Moen has a lifetime guarantee on there cartridge, i used to change it every year or so, i replaced with a Grohe and 6 years later still works like day one and they also have a lifetime guarantee which means nothing if you never use it.

If American Standard is confident in it's product, why does it have different warranties for it's toilets.

This warranty applies to the majority of American Standard Fixtures unless otherwise noted in the list of warranties below.
•American Standard One-Year Limited Warranty Toilets
•Cadet® 3 Flush Right™ Toilet Five Year Limited Warranty
•Champion® 4 Flushing System/Flowise Flushing System Ten-Year Worry-Free Decade™ Limited Warranty

toto_drake_buyonsale.jpg

Drake

champion_cathy.jpg

Champion

Drake

Coug

Reaction score
Reader Review

I can't tell you how validated I finally feel after finding this website. I have two Champion toilets that I installed about a year apart in 2006 and 2007. I have experienced the three problems everyone describes here:
1. Toilet no. 1: Handle "misses" or disengages occasionally when flushing.
2. Toilet no. 2: Flush valve broke apart. I took out the mechanism and simply looped a stainless steel ball chain through the hole in the remaining stopper piece, and through the hole in the handle rod, and its the best flush you ever saw. I just hold the handle down a bit longer for an even more powerful flush.
3. Both toilets began to run incessantly and drove us crazy.

I'm really glad I found out on this website that you could buy replacements for the orange gaskets at Lowes. I bought two, put them on, and the running water problem is solved!

I do love the flush action and the fact that the toilets never clog. I guess I'll need to get the new flush valves eventually. Anyway thanks to everyone for all their suggestions and experiences on this forum.

Rebow

Reaction score
just installed Champion 4 this summer, the inside stamp says 2005, it has the blue seal. You can hear a constant dripping when you listen next to the tank. I pushed down all around on the top of the seal. Could it be leaking from another location than the blue seal? The tank will refill approx every 10 min. AS is sending me a new seal.

Reaction score
I have plumbing supply houses, I just checked the Toto authorized dealers through the website.

Besides, my Champion4 was free from the AS rep. :D

Free generally makes things more tempting. ;)

We don't have an "authorized dealer" showroom much closer than you either, but one of the hour away showrooms had a non-showroom branch closer, In the end the other supply house close offered more of a discount w/CEFIONTECT so I took it.

Another person mentioned difficulty carrying two toilets in a car. That would depend on the car and the toilet. Our hatchback has no trouble with such a load if the toilet is a two piece. I was actually surprised how small the boxes were for the EcoDrake. I only hauled one of the three that way and it fit completely in the hatch with room to spare IIRC. I could probably haul three or more easily with the rear seat down.

The other two I ordered were delivered by the supply house for free since they missed their delivery time twice...and had to go pick them up from their distributor. I didn't ask for it, but it was a slow day for them and they insisted on doing the delivery. (Keep in mind I didn't pay any freight and was just waiting for their normal distribution run.) With the market the way it is one might be able to arrange delivery to seal the sale.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We still have the service call on an American Standard we installed two weeks ago.

I'm always amazed at how many service calls American Standard generates for us, we hardly ever sell them, and yet they make up most of the call backs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks