American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Users who are viewing this thread

bandycats

Reaction score
Well I can't complain about the flush. I have had one for IDK how long now got the new style flush valve and replaced it last year.. thought my problems were over.. but now it still runs in the middle of the night can't see anything wrong with the poly seal ring under the flush valve or the plastic parts themselves but when I pull the toilet to replace the floor this one will go in the garbage.. flush = superb, noise better with the new valve, like Terry says big, heavy, hard to get at bolts, keep spare parts on hand, doesn't even have an insulated tank for all that money, and big as 2 normal toilets, just an abortion, wish I would have found this site when I first bought it a couple years ago. Next will be a Drake

Herbgrl

Reaction score
American Standard Champion4

I purchased 2 of the American Standard Champion4 in August 2008. Fortunately, I decided to have only one installed to see how we would like it. There are definitely problems with this toilet:

[*]the valve leaked
[*]on flushing, the water came up into the bowl like a geyser
[*]fecal particles were deposited on the bowl---extra flushes would not remove the matter. Toilet bowl cleaner and brush were necessary.

In contacting American Standard thru the 800 number:
The phone would ring and then disconnect.

After months of trying, I finally spoke to someone. She was extremely rude. After hearing my complaints, she said, "Well, that's the way the toilet is." She stated that the warranty did not cover my complaints. I requested that a supervisor call me. She tried to brush me off also. After much arguing, she finally agreed that she would authorize my returning the toilet to the place of purchase for a refund. Of course, I still had the installation expenses. :-(

I purchased 2 Kohler Highline and am pleased with them. I have other Kohler products. In speaking with Kohler, they have been very courteous, knowledgable, and professional. American Standard should take lessons.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com

I have a problem with my new (June 2008) American Standard Champion toilet. It very often constantly runs.. and I have to open it up and play with the gasket at the bottom of the flush mechanism to fix it. Sometimes it takes several times doing this, to stop the running.

Besides it being annoying, I am wasting a lot of water, and
adding to my water bill.

James A
River Edge, NJ

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I bought an American Standard champion about 2 years ago. just recently have had a problem with the gasket leaking, Lowes and Home Depot have the gasket. replaced gasket and still leaked. found the problem!!! when you install the gasket you must go around it to make sure it fits properly. if you don't it will leak. I found out by accident- looking at the gasket it looked like there was about 1" that looked in more than the rest. guess what it wasn't seated right. now i know what to do. the instructions don't say anything about this. who knew this was the problem!!! Steve

JimmyV

Reaction score
Assembling the 2-Piece Champion 4

Just wanted to share my experience with assembling the 2-piece American Standard Champion 4. Bought it at Lowe's and installed it earlier this week (Dec 2008).

1. Install the toilet seat BEFORE you set the bowl in place. Do it with the bowl lying on its side. This makes it possible to tighten down the one "hidden" nut that's very hard to get at. I had to use a "bare" socket (no wrench attached) to tighten that hidden nut.
2. Yes, when you first set the tank on the bowl, the gasket seems WAY too thick. But it will come together, if you just take your time.
3. Don't use that shoddy tool that Am Std includes. Use a socket wrench to tighten the tank-to-bowl bolts.
4. Tighten each bolt alternately, maybe two or three turns at a time. You won't need another person to "throw all their weight onto the tank as you tighten". But you may need to gently press down on the side of the tank that you're tightening.
5. Using the socket wrench, you will feel when you've tightened as far as you ought to (don't force it!). I was able to get the tank to contact the front ribs on the bowl, but had to stop tightening before I got contact with the back ribs. There was perhaps a 1/4" gap remaining between the tank and the back ribs. But that's OK, because the tank does not wobble at all, the gasket is well-compressed and leak free, and the top of the tank is level enough.
6. After the gasket has "set" for a while (a few weeks?), it may be possible to go back and tighten the bolts further, and bring the tank down to the back ribs. But if it doesn't leak, I see no reason to have to do that.
7. The flush is good and there's a reassuring (but quiet) "thunk" to it.
8. I'll keep a watchful eye and hope the flush valve doesn't begin leaking, as so many have reported. This is one of three toilets in our house, so it won't see a tremendous amount of duty, but I wanted to have at least one good flusher as the "go-to" unit, if you know what I mean.

Thanks to all on this forum for your advice.

EnginePaul

Retired general contractor
Reaction score
I don't have all theese problems

I'm not sure when I installed the first one, but I have about ten of these in various properties and three in my home. None have leaked and all work fine.
One tenant has problems cleaning the lowest part of the bowl due to a poor finish. I'll keep buying them if the finish is good - next time I'll check a little better before installing.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Is there a "fix" for the Champion 4260?

We bought three and all three are having the same problems of the red gaskets leaking causing a refill every hour, handle disconnects, inadequate water flow through the bowl, the "clunking" noise during the flush activation and a proper tank setting.

Is there a contact at American Standard that can resolve this problem?

DS in Clemson

Last edited by a moderator:

ricksrest

Reaction score
I bought American Standard and Korky replacement flush valve seals and neither stopped the problem on my one piece #2004 Champion.

As I was turning the cylinder that the ring mounts on I noticed that there are three "ears" on the cylinder and three nubs where they land in the seat area.
I used a standard plier to grab each ear and bend it up. I reached in through the slot where the float that has some unknown function mounts.

Now the seal ring is able the press down on the seat and it seems to work fine.

Best of luck,
Rick

Neotonic

Reaction score
I'm a plumber, and I hated installing the Champion two-piece.
Way too heavy,
Hard to get at tank bolts
Hard to get at seat bolts
Way to big and bulky in a bathroom.

I can see where that is a problem. i have seen 3 in real life... They are large, bulky, and look extremely heavy. But i heard the performance is amazing.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Just did a service call last night, first time I have ever seen these, where does one get the new flush valve assemblies?? I must say I was not impressed and I'd like to see the ones I looked at last night flush one golf ball let alone a whole bucket as I have seen advertised. I guess I will try AS direct first, but if they remember me I doubt they will even speak to me. American Standard pulled out of Florida a few years back probably due to their rep they had here, he sucked and that is being nice. After what he did to me back in 89 with a plaza suite I have since refused to sell anyone any AS product.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Good grief - I had no idea we're part of a large group. We purchased two American Standard #4260s - date uncertain tho I can check. I believe it was 2004-5. The leak-by was a concern but it seemed minimal and we ignored it. Recently the flushing mechanism on one of them broke - until we get a plumber in here we are flushing the thing by leaving the lid off and manually lifting the mechanism. Great ad for American Standard! I attributed it to 'outsourcing' all previously American-built appliances. Let's face it - most of our major appliances today are garbage - and price is no guarantee! Sallie

Andrew21

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to my apartment and went to flush the toilet. Nothing. I took the tank cover off and guess what? the chain which was connected to the plunger tower broke off and a spring was floating in the water. WTF? Now what?!?
ugghhhh should I call AS or just goto the orange box for replacement 'guts'?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need to call the number located somewhere back in this thread. HD does not have the parts...

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Here is the warranty number from the A.S. web site - (800) 442-1902. They sent me the newer replacement flush valve, no charge. It is kind of a pain to install, due to the location/access of the tank bolts, but the newer flush valve works much better than the old flush tower. You can also buy the replacement flush valve here:

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/detail.asp?c=Toilet Parts&s=American Standard&s2=Flush Valve&sku=AME-3174-002-0070A&r1=3M-FAP03&r2=ZOE-10-0763&r3=FEI-NL9-LED

champion-4-flush-valve-replacement-01.jpg

Attachments

• ChampValve.jpg
    ChampValve.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,852

Andrew21

Reaction score
Here is the warranty number from the A.S. web site - (800) 442-1902. They sent me the newer replacement flush valve, no charge. It is kind of a pain to install, due to the location/access of the tank bolts, but the newer flush valve works much better than the old flush tower. You can also buy the replacement flush valve here:

Do I need to take the tank off to do this?

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Yes - you do have to remove the tank. You'll need a ratchet with deep sockets to get to the tank bolts. Here's how it's done:

http://www.plumberprotects.com/flushology_champion.htm

Take a look at the clip labeled 'How to update the Champion toilet with the new 4" Accelerator Flush Valve'. I'm just a home-owner with a modest tool box and it took me less than an hour. I've had no problems with this new flush valve, and 2 teenagers haven't been able to clog the Champion.

Nice video on replacing the old style flush valve. I laughed when I first saw the original valve. It's nice that they are replacing the old problematic valves and have a video to show how to do it.

What the video does't show is the water left in the tank if you don't use a wet vac on it. Terry

attachment.php

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
I just used a sponge to mop out the remaining water in the tank. I wish I had the amount of room to work in that they had in the video. I was working in cramped quarters, and alternating side to side while slowly tightening the well-hidden tank bolts did a number on my back!! I don't know how you guys do it for a living. Must go through a ton of tylenol.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was working in cramped quarters, and alternating side to side while slowly tightening the well-hidden tank bolts did a number on my back!! I don't know how you guys do it for a living. Must go through a ton of Tylenol.

It's simple. Smart plumbers don't install a beast like the Champion.
The Champion was one of the hardest installations ever for a toilet.
You would have to be some kind of masochist to want to install them for a living. They are way too heavy for a two piece toilet, and like you mention, the tank bolts are very hard to get at.
Other brands are much easier to install.

champion_install_7.jpg

champion_cathy.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks