American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Users who are viewing this thread

d0n

Reaction score
I bought a champion toilet too -- it refills itself every 10 mins!!!!

I saw this toilet at Lowes and thought... if it can flush 24 golf balls, then I want it! Not that I ever crap that much but if I need to get rid of 24 golf balls really quick, I'm all set! It is definately a good advertising campaign.

I bought it about 4 months ago. I installed it myself and then immediately noticed that it keeps filling itself after 10 mins. Every 10 mins!!! :mad:

The build date inside the toilet is 6/22/2007. After reading this forum I see that American Standard has known about this faulty seal for a good 4 years but they continue to sell the toilet?! WTF? :confused:

Is it even worth it to have AS send me the new seal or whatever new, supposedly redesigned parts they think will fix it? Should I just return this piece of junk to Lowes?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The repair parts are free if you ask. If you can install them yourself, it should be an okay deal. The majority here don't recommend them - a pro can't afford callbacks for defective products. Doing it yourself, you can save a little, if you don't have to travel too far to find a good one, or return it for a second try if you don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

d0n

Reaction score
ok

I called this AM and they're sending me a single gasket.

She did say that my toilet has the newly redesigned flush assmebly from june 2007. How can a redesigned flush valve & seal still leak??!!?! They redesigned it because of all the leaking seal problems... but the redesign parts still leak? WTF?

So, they're sending me the exact same gasket I already have. I don't understand how the new one will be any better than the almost new one I have on my toilet now? I bet it's still gonna leak. :mad:

I asked for 2 gaskets in case the new one "goes bad" but she said no... If this one fails I can just call up again and get another one. She said I have a 10 year warranty... like it was some great benefit. :rolleyes:

What if I'm the type of person who can't or won't go digging around inside their toilet to install this new seal? I have to call a plumber have them come to my home, install a part that has a design fault and pay the plumbers outrageous rates?!

Wow, I'm sure glad I got this awesome american standard champion toilet with the great 10 year warranty! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Had anyone else had trouble putting the tank on the toilet on this champion toilet? the plumber actually had to ask for my help. I had to basically put all my weight on the tank for him to screw it down. Yeeshh.. I wish I would have known about this site earlier.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have had all the same problems. Took the lid off and manually lifted the flush mechanism so that I could let it down gently, thus avoiding knocking off the gasket.
Have since had the entire flushing mechanism replaced. The replacement parts were bought at a Plumbing supply store. It looks nothing like the original. So far all is working well.
Shirley

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Three months ago, I posted an extremely negative review of our four Champion toilets, which were installed in 2004. We had repeatedly contacted the company for replacement parts, but those parts never solved the problems. I mailed a copy of that review to American Standard, and was contacted by a customer service representative. The company has redesigned the "guts" of the tank (they needed to; the old design simply didn't work!), and they shipped four replacement kits to me. The kits have been installed and, so far, are working well.
Suggest people who have been going crazy with these toilets the past few years contact American Standard for the NEW design.
Teresa B

d0n

Reaction score
From what I was told... I have the new design flush valve built after 6/2007. Mine still leaks constantly. Every 10-15 mins I hear the water running as it fills back up. My water bill is through the roof!

I still have not recieved my warranty parts that I called about 2 weeks ago. :mad:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Measure the inside width side to side in inches, front to back in inches, and how far the water drops every time before it fills back up. Multiply the 3 numbers than divide by 231. The answer is approx. how many gallons you have wasted every time you hear it run. Figure how many times an hour or, even a day and figure out how much is wasted...
You should be sending them a bill!
Call them again and let them know how happy you are!

plumbtired

Reaction score
Oh, No!!!

I, too, posted (in Feb. and March) very positive results on this Champion toilet (have two of them) after receiving such great customer service from American Standard per the replacement flush valve assembly (replacement of the faulty tower/piston flush valve). Everything WAS (notice the emphasis upon WAS) going beautifully...until three weeks ago. Then "all Hell" broke loose in BOTH Champion toilets, within two days of each other. Now I have two (AGAIN!) defective toilets, automatically flushing or continuously running. Obviously, the replacement seals/gaskets failed at the same time. Geez, this means the seals/gaskets lasted less than four months! :eek:

At this point, I've had it...those two toilets are, essentially, "out of here." I will take the $400 loss and invest in the highly-rated Toto toilets. I am not willing to fuss with these two poor quality American Standard Champion toilets any longer, even though American Standard continues to honor the warranty with continual seal and/or flush valve replacements. The ONLY thing I can say, in a positive light :), is that I have NEVER had a clog in either of these Champion toilets, compared to constant clogs in the former Kohler toilets we had (prior to the Champions).

So, what model of Toto has a large trap? It is the Drake? [Thanks for any advice...]

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Toto Drake is one of many of them that do!

May I suggest using the Chumpians as planters!
They serve very well for that purpose!
They may also provide stimulating conversation among guests as to what a good toilet is and what a bad one is.
This conversation may prove to be theraputic​
!

This venting that I do is actually therapy for the times I have been burned by installing defecive Am. Std. products...
It only happened a few times before I stopped using them... I'm no Idiot!
But, I hold a grudge a long time!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Review Terry's toilet info from his home page. Some of the decision would depend on style, but you don't have to spend a huge amount for performance. The Drake does work well, but if a different style would make your day, they have many other than the Drake.

Personally, I like the look and lines plus ease of keeping clean the skirted models - no nooks and crannies to try to keep clean. These generally require the water supply placement to be more critical, though.

Drake 800 grams by Veritech Video

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
leaky Champion seal

Just got back from a 2,000+ mile trip around the South West. I know I have issues - but I took a look at the toilet each place we went. To my surprise, every toilet except 1 was an American Standard toilet (the other being a Kohler). New construction in Sedona Az had new AS toilets with the old style ballcock and plastic float ball!. Not sure if their commercial toilets are better built than their residential toilets, but they should certainly know how to make a flush seal that doesn't leak. Even with extremely hard water, the new Champion flush valves should go a lot longer than 4 months without leaking. I have soft water and have not experienced a leak with either the old flush tower or the new flush valve. I did have problems with a Mansfield flush tower leaking before replacing with a Fluidmaster flush valve. If I experience problems with the new Champion flush valve, I will certainly post back here. But so far, it's been working great. And after putting in the new flush valve, I took apart the old flush tower - what a crazy, over-complicated contraption ... a real "Rube Goldberg" device!

ChampionFlushValve.jpg

plumbtired

Reaction score
Woes with the new and "improved" flapper-style flush valve

Yes, maddog, the problems I am currently having are with the new style (flapper style) replacement flush valve on my two Champion toilets. Like I stated, and you agreed, less than four months in SOFT water (Portland, OR area where we have "the softest water in the country") is not acceptable for the seal life of ANY flush valve/flapper seal.

Good luck with your new Champion (Fluidmaster) replacement flush valve. I, too, was thrilled over the flush valve improvement...until a couple of weeks ago when the seals apparently failed simultaneously in both of my AS Champion toilets.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you use any of the tank type cleaners, STOP. Those can eat up the plastic and rubber parts very quickly.

d0n

Reaction score
I just called AS again about my replacement seal. It's been over two weeks and no seal yet.

The guy said the seal is on backorder! :mad: Well, thanks AS for letting me know this! :mad: While my POS toilet fills every 10-15 mins 24 hours a day.

He said he's going to send me the entire flush valve. Why the heck they didn't just do that in the 1st place is beyond me. :mad::mad:

So anyone that's waiting on a seal needs to call AS and tell them to send you a whole new flush valve or you're gonna be waiting for a long time for the back ordered seal.

I'm sure the city loves me now that my water bill has gone through the roof.

I wonder what kind of reception I'd get if I took this hunk of $hit toilet out, carried in to Lowes (where I bought it) and set it on the returns counter. Ya think they'd give me a refund or store credit?

Last edited:

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Knowing Lowes? theres a chance....just rant at a manager, especially if you still have the receipt.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I just took a POS lawnmower back to Lowe's a week ago, 11 days out of their 90-day return period. It only took a few minutes of ranting to get them to agree to give me a store credit, and then the computer system refused -- all it would allow was a full refund. They've been pretty good to me over the years.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wonder why on terrys page he doesn't say "NOT RECCOMMENDED" for the champion toilet???

https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

He says it for the briggs and I bet the briggs doesn't leak 24/7. :mad:

Believe it or not... The Briggs is worse than a Chumpian!
It is so bad it takes 2 or 3 flushes to get a piece of toilet paper to leave the bowl!
Chumpian owners, Look at the bright side...
At least your toilet can flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks