(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

I just got through reading the many horror stories! We just installed
    an American Standard Champion and now understand why there
    are plenty of "them" available and no Toto in our area. There was
    an estimate wait of 6 weeks for a Toto, which is quieter, fills fast
    and, most of all, cheaper.

The CLUNK was a total surprise, but, as of today, we do not have
    a leak. It was installed by a plumber, who must know of the
    problems, but didn't inform us. I have been waiting for over 25 years
    to have my bathroom updated and am so disgusted with this
    toilet. I will not buy any American Standard product ever again.
    The toilet I had for 30+ years was working just fine, but I thought
    it best to put in a new one as we put in new vinyl and didn't want
    to have a problem.

I may not ever use the plumber again, either. We have had the
    same plumber for many, many years and trusted him to advise
    us of any problems related to such purchases.

I wish I had read the reports in this site before buying. It seems
    that, once again, a foreign made (Toto) product is far superior to
    the USA product.
    Sat, 12 Nov 2005
    Fran

From a DISGUSTED USER: I purchased an American Standard Champion toilet and was pleased until the tank began leaking after 3 months. The red seal on the bottom of the float comes out of the groove. It must be loosing its elasticity. I went to both Lowe’s and Home Depot but they said that “American Standard will not allow us to sell parts for the Champion.”

I called American Standard and was told they would send me a replacement ring under warranty. Now on day 9 I have not received it. First Class Mail would have taken 3 days, so they didn’t send it on the date they claimed. I asked where I can buy one and they (American Standard Tech Support) told me to check the web site which list was full of Lowe’s and Home Depot stores and one wholesaler…who said they couldn’t get parts.

What good is a warranty if they won’t make warranty parts available? This ring would be easy to replace, about a minute. Their tech people said, “Don’t you have another toilet to use?” Yes, I do, but I share with a family. Any other brand toilet would be up and working the same day. Should I go out and buy a Kohler to use while Am. Std. is deciding whether to make parts available? Maybe I will. Apparently, their “under 10 year warranty” means that you will never be able to purchase same day parts.

I pity the flack that their tech support people must be getting. American Standard’s management is obviously lacking some ability to have any concept of customer service. I certainly think the Home Centers should stop selling American Standard.
    Wed, 2 Nov 2005
    K. Yingling
    California

Ditto, leaky,clunky, piece of junky....Fuzz.....
    Sun, 30 Oct 2005
    shandell

Gee... wish I had read this thread BEFORE I specified 2 Champions for my new home (based on looks and reputation). The clunk is embarassing to guests using the powder room. And we also have the fail-to-trigger flush attempts that were mentioned. So far, no tank-bowl leaks though (though we had to have the tank mounting tightened). I'm sorry to hear there are no fixes for the clunk -- I now depress the handle very very slowly, to produce a full-tank flush like the old (pre-1.6) days. But this should be unneccessary. I'd love to replace the innards with a traditional flapper. My wife wonders how I researched these things - guess I figured it wasn't necessary for something as common as a toilet. -
    C Collins, NC, 10-29-05

I installed the American Standard Champion toilet about two months ago. The orange gasket does not stay in place and the toilet leaks and then re-fills itself. I will never buy another AS product again! Do you know of any fix for this design problem?...
    Fri, 28 Oct 2005
    Tom

My 2 month old toilet just had the tower assembly fall apart, sending
    plastic and springs down into my drain plumbing. From the sounds of the
    other postings, I am in for some fun now. I just noticed that AS REQUIRES
    you to send in the warranty card within 30 days. Most manufacturers want you
    to, but do not actually make it a condition to stand behind their product.
    First and last AS. I will go back to Kohler.
    Thu, 27 Oct 2005
    J.S - Florida

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.

After my call to them yesterday AM, American Std has promised to send me 2 new seals for my AS champion tank. 1st class from NJ. The lady also told me they have realized there is a problem with the flush valve seals and have developed a NEW seal. So I am hoping the new seal will be the correct fix for the problem of leaking water from the tank into the bowl.

I am hoping to receive them tomorrow as we have only the one bathroom here. I will let you know how the new seal works.
    ue, 25 Oct 2005
    Mary Lou in Indianapolis

I had the same problems as listed above. The infamous little red gasket coming loose, as well as the tower rotating during the flush action. This means the bowl fill hose shoots at an angle, thus not filling the bowl properly. I took "David E.'s" advice and put the chain at it's longest setting. This really does allow maximum flow out of the tank. The only draw back is having to hold the handle down longer. I'll settle for that. My own engineering addition includes a small hole in the top of the tower. I bent a wire coat hanger to act as a guide that runs through the hole. As the flush action happens the tower can't rotate, thus the bowl fills properly. There are many positive thing about this design, but I think they had to hand in the assignment before it was complete.
    Tue, 25 Oct 2005
    L. Rowell

I too purchased a Champion toilet in January 2005 from the start I had the same problem with the flush valve seal. I thought it was just me! I too bought mine from Home Depot. The salesman there recommended the toilet to me. Forgot to mention the leaking, though. Also, couldn't find the replacement seal in the store. I finally called AS and they are sending me a new seal. I guess I too will wait and see. Ditto on the class action law suit. I did register my toilet as required by the warranty. How come they didn't contact us and let us know what the problem was and what to be alert for?
    I hate to think of all the water I've lost too!
    Tim
    10/24/05

I wish that I had found this site before buying one of these toliets. Ours made a huge clunk from the get go. The Manufacturer's Representative on the telephone insisted that the clunk is normal and to be explected and nothing can be done about it.

Learned to live with the clunk. Then the seal, which is one of the "new improved" red ones started leaking. At first I was able to reseat it in the grove, but that only works for a few flushes.

I will try to return it (the whole toliet) to Home Depot. The Home Depot manager who sold me on it originally is not there and his replacement says these are the worse toliets ever made and he will not sell one himself.

Now I have to find the receipt.

A class action suit with huge punitive damages would probably get a really new improved seal mailed to everyone overnight.
    Fri, 14 Oct 2005
    Dan G

Followup:
    What I do not understand is Home Depot continuing to stock and to sell this product. Their own sales people know that they all leak and that Home Depot does not stock any parts for it, not even the "new improved" seal. That is understandable because the new improved seal is what I have and it only stays in place for a few flushes and then twists up and starts leaking again and again.
    AS say they are sending me a new seal but I have been waiting for about two weeks....it propbably weighs a half an ounce....Amazon can get the Congressional Library delivered overnight...???
    Hard to believe in this day of all the hi tech wonders, AS can not make a seal that works in their "Champion" toilet.
    Wed, 19 Oct 2005
    Dan G

installed my AS Champion in our upstairs bathroom early this summer (2005). The flush valve just broke. I found the spring laying on the bottom of the tank and the internal mechanism "looking" like it could be reconnected no luck. Something must be broken internally in the piston connection. Now I'm seeking a new flush valve. I'll let you know how that quest goes....
    W Moody 10/13/2005

Wow!

I put in a Champion two piece in July 2005 after careful consideration and Consumer Reports recommendation. It was a bit awkward seating the tank, but I was able to do it myself, with a deep socket wrench. I'm a 5'2" woman, so seating the bowl was VERY awkward, but I was able to do it myself. I'm glad I heard about toilet shims, though, because I think that's the problem with a lot of toilets rocking after a while. It's NOT the toilet design that causes the seal to break, it's the fact that most od our homes aren't level, especially if it's an older home.
    I don't care if the tank clunks, because it flushes even the most massive loads. I think that most of the elongated bowls leave more residue because of the angle: At my workplace, the paper will sit on the ledge through three flushes! (They use Am Stan, too.) Perhaps they need to design the bowls with larger holes towards the front so that more water will be directed at sitting paper...
    Anyway, I have not had to use a plunger at all, and that is a miracle. I hope that I do not have the problem with the seal. At least I know that I can remove it and replace it myself, so I'm not worried. It's not the most pleasant home improvement task, but it has been very satisfying.
    Sun, 9 Oct 2005
    Kathy

My follow-up is no different. Our AS Champion is about a year old,
    and the red flush valve comes off no less than every other flush.
    Knew I was in trouble when I went to HD and couldn't find anything to
    repair it. I was warned by our plumber not to buy any plumbing
    fixtures from HD. He claimed that HD is so ruthless on lowering costs
    that they force manufacturers to cut cost on the models they sell. I
    don't know if it's true, but my next toilet -- which unfortunately
    appears to be coming sooner than I would have dreamed -- will not be
    from HD. Is anybody working on getting AS to address this...
    otherwise, there needs to be a class action effort started.
    Sun, 2 Oct 2005
    Tod & Shaun

I have two of these "crappers" in my house and they both are doing the "red seal" song (continuous draining and refilling 24/7). I made the mistake of pulling out one of the flushing mechanisms only to discover the hole is twice what any other toilet made has. None of Home Depot, Lowe's, nor Ace has either the "red seal" or a flushing mechanism to replace it. I am so glad to have at least come across this site and see that I am not alone in my frustration and that I need to call American Standard for a replacement part. If they do not resolve to my satisfaction, as an attorney, I will be happy to file a class action law suit if anyone else wants to join.
    Sun, 25 Sep 2005
    D. Leon.

Just to be different...I installed an AS one piece Champion about 6-8 weeks ago in a heavily used bathroom. No trouble yet.