(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'm a plumber, and I hated installing the Champion two-piece.
    Way too heavy,
    Hard to get at tank bolts
    Hard to get at seat bolts
    Way to big and bulky in a bathroom.
    I can see where that is a problem. i have seen 3 in real life... They are large, bulky, and look extremely heavy. But i heard the performance is amazing.

Just did a service call last night, first time I have ever seen these, where does one get the new flush valve assemblies?? I must say I was not impressed and I'd like to see the ones I looked at last night flush one golf ball let alone a whole bucket as I have seen advertised. I guess I will try AS direct first, but if they remember me I doubt they will even speak to me. American Standard pulled out of Florida a few years back probably due to their rep they had here, he sucked and that is being nice. After what he did to me back in 89 with a plaza suite I have since refused to sell anyone any AS product.
    I'd Rather Be FISHIN'

Quote Originally Posted by C NUMB View Post
    Just did a service call last night, first time I have ever seen these, where does one get the new flush valve assemblies??
    The number to call is somewhere back in this thread...

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Good grief - I had no idea we're part of a large group. We purchased two American Standard #4260s - date uncertain tho I can check. I believe it was 2004-5. The leak-by was a concern but it seemed minimal and we ignored it. Recently the flushing mechanism on one of them broke - until we get a plumber in here we are flushing the thing by leaving the lid off and manually lifting the mechanism. Great ad for American Standard! I attributed it to 'outsourcing' all previously American-built appliances. Let's face it - most of our major appliances today are garbage - and price is no guarantee! Sallie

Yesterday I went to my apartment and went to flush the toilet. Nothing. I took the tank cover off and guess what? the chain which was connected to the plunger tower broke off and a spring was floating in the water. WTF? Now what?!?
    ugghhhh should I call AS or just goto the orange box for replacement 'guts'?

You need to call the number located somewhere back in this thread. HD does not have the parts...

Here is the warranty number from the A.S. web site - (800) 442-1902. They sent me the newer replacement flush valve, no charge. It is kind of a pain to install, due to the location/access of the tank bolts, but the newer flush valve works much better than the old flush tower. You can also buy the replacement flush valve here:

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/detail....r3=FEI-NL9-LED
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Here is the warranty number from the A.S. web site - (800) 442-1902. They sent me the newer replacement flush valve, no charge. It is kind of a pain to install, due to the location/access of the tank bolts, but the newer flush valve works much better than the old flush tower. You can also buy the replacement flush valve here:

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/detail....r3=FEI-NL9-LED
    Do I need to take the tank off to do this?

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-03-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Yes - you do have to remove the tank. You'll need a ratchet with deep sockets to get to the tank bolts. Here's how it's done:

http://www.plumberprotects.com/flushology_champion.htm

Take a look at the clip labeled 'How to update the Champion toilet with the new 4" Accelerator Flush Valve'. I'm just a home-owner with a modest tool box and it took me less than an hour. I've had no problems with this new flush valve, and 2 teenagers haven't been able to clog the Champion.

Nice video on replacing the old style flush valve. I laughed when I first saw the original valve. It's nice that they are replacing the old problematic valves and have a video to show how to do it.

What the video does't show is the water left in the tank if you don't use a wet vac on it. Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 02-10-2009 at 03:49 PM.

I just used a sponge to mop out the remaining water in the tank. I wish I had the amount of room to work in that they had in the video. I was working in cramped quarters, and alternating side to side while slowly tightening the well-hidden tank bolts did a number on my back!! I don't know how you guys do it for a living. Must go through a ton of tylenol.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was working in cramped quarters, and alternating side to side while slowly tightening the well-hidden tank bolts did a number on my back!! I don't know how you guys do it for a living. Must go through a ton of Tylenol.
    It's simple. Smart plumbers don't install a beast like the Champion.
    The Champion was one of the hardest installations ever for a toilet.
    You would have to be some kind of masochist to want to install them for a living. They are way too heavy for a two piece toilet, and like you mention, the tank bolts are very hard to get at.
    Other brands are much easier to install.

Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks all. I'll call AS tomorrow and tell them to send me a new flush tower/valve.

also on another note, I had to redo my entire bath and used a plumber to put in the toilet, pedestal sink etc. What I didn't do or the plumber do was put in those stainless steel screws from the toilet flange to the subfloor. The flange was pretty stable but I'm regretting that now. Should I take off the toilet at that point and put in those screws? Thanks!

Andrew

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have galvanized wood screws for the flange, they should be fine.
    As long as the wax is sealing, they shouldn't be getting wet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    If you have galvanized wood screws for the flange, they should be fine.
    As long as the wax is sealing, they shouldn't be getting wet anyway.
    Thats the problem. There are NO screws/nails holding the flange in place!

Thanks everyone! Just called the customer service department and they wanted a model number!?! WTF? So I told them the tower thingy I had and she knew right away what I needed. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks

Parts for the Champion 4

Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.