(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Quote Originally Posted by d0n View Post
    I wonder why on terrys page he doesn't say "NOT RECCOMMENDED" for the champion toilet???

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

He says it for the briggs and I bet the briggs doesn't leak 24/7.
    Believe it or not... The Briggs is worse than a Chumpian!
    It is so bad it takes 2 or 3 flushes to get a piece of toilet paper to leave the bowl!
    Chumpian owners, Look at the bright side...
    At least your toilet can flush.

Default Don, turn off the water

When I had the champion, I decided that instead of paying ridiculous water bills, I turned off the valve to the toilet-especially when I went away for the weekend. Unless you're using it every 15 minutes, turn the water to it off until you can just dump the thing. It's better to throw it out than to endure the aggravation that this thing causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Albany View Post
    When I had the champion, I decided that instead of paying ridiculous water bills, I turned off the valve to the toilet-especially when I went away for the weekend. Unless you're using it every 15 minutes, turn the water to it off until you can just dump the thing. It's better to throw it out than to endure the aggravation that this thing causes.

I really agree. However, I use it a lot because it's on the main floor of our house. Turning the water on and off would be more of a pain in the butt than paying the higher water bills.

If this new flush valve that they're supposed to be sending me (3 weeks now and still no valve!) doesn't fix the toilet, I'm taking it back to lowes.

You're in Albany NY?

I got the new valve and installed it. I'll be damned if it doesn't leak now!

The new flush valve and old one were identical. I wonder how long this one will last? !

I installed a AS Champion last summer and I have never used a more capable toilet! Just had a new Toto installed in this home and need a plunger at least once a month - splashes and doesn't scour properly. If it were any worse -- I'd put in another AS. I love them. You do need a deep set socket though.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

We had bought a American Stander / Champion / 2 piece / chair height / left flush handle / elongated toilet
    Love it but hate !! One time it will flush with one push . Next time it might take up to about 10 times to flush . Why ?
    Was told not to do anything with it , can't any way there is no parts and why should we have to anyway ?
    So we can't afford to buy a new tiolet to replace it just for that reason .
    Might have to because of that reason !!!
    teddies

Default Champion running repair solution

I bought American Standard and Korky replacement flush valve seals and neither stopped the problem on my one piece #2004 Champion.

As I was turning the cylinder that the ring mounts on I noticed that there are three "ears" on the cylinder and three nubs where they land in the seat area.
    I used a standard plier to grab each ear and bend it up. I reached in through the slot where the float that has some unknown function mounts.

Now the seal ring is able the press down on the seat and it seems to work fine.

Best of luck,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by d0n View Post
    I really agree. However, I use it a lot because it's on the main floor of our house. Turning the water on and off would be more of a pain in the butt than paying the higher water bills.

If this new flush valve that they're supposed to be sending me (3 weeks now and still no valve!) doesn't fix the toilet, I'm taking it back to lowes.

You're in Albany NY?
    Actually Delmar, a suburb of Albany.

I've got three of these toilets in my vacation home. The flush valve broke in one, and no parts available locally, but I called the 800 number and AS sent out a replacement for free- and offered to send me several.

It was a pain to replace (had to remove the entire tank). But all three aahve worked great for three years except for that one incident.

My only concern is to keep small dogs and cats away when you flush it, because anything smaller than a 10# ham is going away when you mash that handle.

We have had two of these installed in our home two years ago and really like them both. They resolved all our problems with stools! Also, the additional height is great. We bought a toilet seat that slowly goes down on rather than quickly. That too was a good investment.
    M Dahlke

I purchased The Champion on 7/14/08 and the tank will not tighten and remains loose and leaky, and the flush valve system leaks constantly. I wish I had seen these postings before purchasing. Also you cannot get any live person to speak to at American Standard. This has resulted in major plumbing bills.

Everyone with problems should join the proposed class action lawsuit at: http://www.americanstandardclassaction.com/

It is quick and easy to fill out the short questionnaire.

B Sandridge

American Standard should provide replacement parts free of charge to its customers or reimburse its customers for the parts. I have had a terrible time trying to find replacement parts for the flush unit as none of the big box hardware stores or any of the traditional hardware stores carry the parts. The engineer who designed this mechanism obviously never heard of KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid!

R Stahl

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review View Post
    American Standard should provide replacement parts free of charge to its customers or reimburse its customers for the parts. I have had a terrible time trying to find replacement parts for the flush unit as none of the big box hardware stores or any of the traditional hardware stores carry the parts. The engineer who designed this mechanism obviously never heard of KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid!

R Stahl
    You need to call Am. Std. to get the repair parts sent to you!

250 + posts from satisfied Chumpian customers... sic and almost 90,000 views of this thread yet people are still buying this lemon...

Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review View Post

R Stahl
    Getting the replacement parts is a pain in the butt ... paying a plumber to install them and paying for the extra water useage is rediculous!

I just signed up for the american standard class action law suit. I bet I'm out at least $100 just in extra water useage from this leaking toilet!

Plumber in Previous Life sixlashes's Avatar

Well then, I guess American Standard is off the fixture list. Thank you guys for the horror stories. I'm off to look at Toto and Kohler.