(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

I have had all the same problems. Took the lid off and manually lifted the flush mechanism so that I could let it down gently, thus avoiding knocking off the gasket.
    Have since had the entire flushing mechanism replaced. The replacement parts were bought at a Plumbing supply store. It looks nothing like the original. So far all is working well.
    Shirley

Three months ago, I posted an extremely negative review of our four Champion toilets, which were installed in 2004. We had repeatedly contacted the company for replacement parts, but those parts never solved the problems. I mailed a copy of that review to American Standard, and was contacted by a customer service representative. The company has redesigned the "guts" of the tank (they needed to; the old design simply didn't work!), and they shipped four replacement kits to me. The kits have been installed and, so far, are working well.
    Suggest people who have been going crazy with these toilets the past few years contact American Standard for the NEW design.
    Teresa B

From what I was told... I have the new design flush valve built after 6/2007. Mine still leaks constantly. Every 10-15 mins I hear the water running as it fills back up. My water bill is through the roof!

I still have not recieved my warranty parts that I called about 2 weeks ago.

Measure the inside width side to side in inches, front to back in inches, and how far the water drops every time before it fills back up. Multiply the 3 numbers than divide by 231. The answer is approx. how many gallons you have wasted every time you hear it run. Figure how many times an hour or, even a day and figure out how much is wasted...
    You should be sending them a bill!
    Call them again and let them know how happy you are!

Unhappy Oh, No!!!

I, too, posted (in Feb. and March) very positive results on this Champion toilet (have two of them) after receiving such great customer service from American Standard per the replacement flush valve assembly (replacement of the faulty tower/piston flush valve). Everything WAS (notice the emphasis upon WAS) going beautifully...until three weeks ago. Then "all Hell" broke loose in BOTH Champion toilets, within two days of each other. Now I have two (AGAIN!) defective toilets, automatically flushing or continuously running. Obviously, the replacement seals/gaskets failed at the same time. Geez, this means the seals/gaskets lasted less than four months!

At this point, I've had it...those two toilets are, essentially, "out of here." I will take the $400 loss and invest in the highly-rated Toto toilets. I am not willing to fuss with these two poor quality American Standard Champion toilets any longer, even though American Standard continues to honor the warranty with continual seal and/or flush valve replacements. The ONLY thing I can say, in a positive light , is that I have NEVER had a clog in either of these Champion toilets, compared to constant clogs in the former Kohler toilets we had (prior to the Champions).

So, what model of Toto has a large trap? It is the Drake? [Thanks for any advice...]

The Toto Drake is one of many of them that do!

May I suggest using the Chumpians as planters!
    They serve very well for that purpose!
    They may also provide stimulating conversation among guests as to what a good toilet is and what a bad one is.
    This conversation may prove to be theraputic
    !

This venting that I do is actually therapy for the times I have been burned by installing defecive Am. Std. products...
    It only happened a few times before I stopped using them... I'm no Idiot!
    But, I hold a grudge a long time!
    Last edited by Redwood; 06-23-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Review Terry's toilet info from his home page. Some of the decision would depend on style, but you don't have to spend a huge amount for performance. The Drake does work well, but if a different style would make your day, they have many other than the Drake.

Personally, I like the look and lines plus ease of keeping clean the skirted models - no nooks and crannies to try to keep clean. These generally require the water supply placement to be more critical, though.

Drake 800 grams by Veritech Video
    Last edited by Terry; 11-08-2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default leaky Champion seal

Just got back from a 2,000+ mile trip around the South West. I know I have issues - but I took a look at the toilet each place we went. To my surprise, every toilet except 1 was an American Standard toilet (the other being a Kohler). New construction in Sedona Az had new AS toilets with the old style ballcock and plastic float ball!. Not sure if their commercial toilets are better built than their residential toilets, but they should certainly know how to make a flush seal that doesn't leak. Even with extremely hard water, the new Champion flush valves should go a lot longer than 4 months without leaking. I have soft water and have not experienced a leak with either the old flush tower or the new flush valve. I did have problems with a Mansfield flush tower leaking before replacing with a Fluidmaster flush valve. If I experience problems with the new Champion flush valve, I will certainly post back here. But so far, it's been working great. And after putting in the new flush valve, I took apart the old flush tower - what a crazy, over-complicated contraption ... a real "Rube Goldberg" device!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Unhappy Woes with the new and "improved" flapper-style flush valve

Yes, maddog, the problems I am currently having are with the new style (flapper style) replacement flush valve on my two Champion toilets. Like I stated, and you agreed, less than four months in SOFT water (Portland, OR area where we have "the softest water in the country") is not acceptable for the seal life of ANY flush valve/flapper seal.

Good luck with your new Champion (Fluidmaster) replacement flush valve. I, too, was thrilled over the flush valve improvement...until a couple of weeks ago when the seals apparently failed simultaneously in both of my AS Champion toilets.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you use any of the tank type cleaners, STOP. Those can eat up the plastic and rubber parts very quickly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I just called AS again about my replacement seal. It's been over two weeks and no seal yet.

The guy said the seal is on backorder! Well, thanks AS for letting me know this! While my POS toilet fills every 10-15 mins 24 hours a day.

He said he's going to send me the entire flush valve. Why the heck they didn't just do that in the 1st place is beyond me.

So anyone that's waiting on a seal needs to call AS and tell them to send you a whole new flush valve or you're gonna be waiting for a long time for the back ordered seal.

I'm sure the city loves me now that my water bill has gone through the roof.

I wonder what kind of reception I'd get if I took this hunk of $hit toilet out, carried in to Lowes (where I bought it) and set it on the returns counter. Ya think they'd give me a refund or store credit?
    Last edited by d0n; 06-25-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Knowing Lowes? theres a chance....just rant at a manager, especially if you still have the receipt.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I just took a POS lawnmower back to Lowe's a week ago, 11 days out of their 90-day return period. It only took a few minutes of ranting to get them to agree to give me a store credit, and then the computer system refused -- all it would allow was a full refund. They've been pretty good to me over the years.

I wish I would of read the consumer report before I bought a
    champion. I to had to get a professional plumber to change
    the mechanism. I thought I had broke it but it turns out there is no adjustment..I blame Home Depot for pushing me to this toilet..
    J Molk Fri,June 27th,2008

I wonder why on terrys page he doesn't say "NOT RECCOMMENDED" for the champion toilet???

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

He says it for the briggs and I bet the briggs doesn't leak 24/7.