(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: American Standard Champion toilet Review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

We purchased a Champion Elongated Toilet in Dec 2004. It has started the " running" I have seen posted.
    I found all your comments and was very concerned. I called American Standard gave them the model number and they are sending replacement parts. They said there is a 10 year warranty and if I have any
    further problem to call and give them the reference number and there is a file and any other problems within the warranty they would resolve.

Maybe if you haven't called American Standard 1-800-442-1902......you might try if you still have warranty on your purchase.

I installed the American Standard toilet in 2006 and less then a year later the gasket that ships with the toilet for the flapper was leaking so the toilet would drain a little then refill frequently.

To solve this I went to a hardware store (plug: Casper True Value Lake Zurich, IL - great place), I had some time to kill so I asked for some advice. Basically I bought a "make your own" rubber gasket 1/8" thick and cut it to the same size.

Thumbs down The Toilet Saga Model 4260 AS

I am sad.
    I wished so very hard I knew about this evil toilet, so I could have
    hit my husband over the head and brought a Kohler, like the one I
    chose for upstairs. I am sorry one person thinks these attacks are
    on Americans, but buddy, the top and the tank are stamped with Made in Mexico. Now maybe that is where Americans work now, but all I know is this toilet is an evil water running machine that has become the bain of my exsistance. No wonder when I first went to the AS website, they were so pleasant to look at...but no mention that the Champ was the evil toilet that is evil. I am sorry people...I just at the thing.

American Standard evidently realized that the engineering on the original Champion Flush Tower was not perfect. They have since replaced the original Champion flush tower system with the new and improved Champion 4 flush system. The Champion 4 flush system works even better than the original with none of the problems.

Original Champion toilets can be retrofitted with the new Champion 4 flush system and enjoy a problem free product. Call American Standard customer service for more information (Ph 800-442-1902). There is also a video showing how to replace the old flush tower with the new Champion 4 flush kit at http://plumberprotects.com/flushology_champion.htm .

John Reiss

I have 2 words for you...
    Think Toto!

Those Am. Std. Toilets are Junk!
    The chumpian after 4 redesigns still has a wobbling tank and a patch on the back of the trapway that leaks on many of them.

The Cadet 3 has some quality control issues as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 05-26-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Default One year later, Eljer valve still flushing strong!

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    ...I found a link where they replaced the Champion flush tower with the flush valve/flapper from an Eljer Titan:

http://unitelater.com/s9y/index.php?...-Solution.html

has any one else done this? It scares me a bit that the tank opening on the Champion is 1/4 inch larger than the Titan - sounds like a possible leak spot. I like the idea of replacing the flush tower (if it eventually becomes a problem) with a flapper/flush valve...
    I'm the guy that put the Eljer flush valve in the Champion. That was over a year ago, and I am happy to report that I have never had a leak, and get a perfect flush every time. Since I am able to modulate the length of the flush, I get complete removal of residuals on the first flush.

If you still have the old style flush tower (I pity you if that is the case) then HURRY and get the Eljer flush valve- now only $12.00 at Locke Plumbing! No leaks, no running toilet, and no double flushing... it will be the best $12 you ever spent!

Thanks for the update GAW. I already called American Standard and they sent me the replacement flush valve - just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Still no problems with the original flush tower, except for the 'clunk' ..... -dog

Finally got around to replacing the flush tower with the replacement flush valve sent by American Standard. The new flush value works great. Very powerful flush and good bowl wash. I would recommend that anyone having problems with the original Champion flush tower, to call AS and request the new flush valve. It came with new tank bolts, seals, and a new spud gasket.

old flush valve (hose clip already removed), new flush valve, got it tight (no tank wobble), but not too tight... I took my time and slowly tightened the tank bolts, a little on each side. It took less than an hour to replace. -dog
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by maddog; 05-25-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Does anyone know if there has been a recall on the American Standard low water toilet. Mine was just installed and broke & I noticed alot of comments on the msg brd about these. Thought I'd ask before I call American Standard. The stupid thing is costing a fortune bc it doesn't stop running.

Dok

There should be if Am. Std. had 1 ounce of decency!
    But there is a class action lawsuit in the works...
    Check back several pages in this thread!

Not sure what the 'American Standard low water toilet' is. This thread deals with the American Standard Champion model. If you're not sure what model you have, lift up the tank lid and see if you have the white flush tower in my previous post. If you do have the Champion tank, call American Standard and they will send you a new re-designed flush valve that works much better than the original, problematic flush tower. They won't pay to have it installed by a plumber, but it's not too difficult to replace if you have a ratchet set with deep sockets (you'll need a 1/2 inch socket for the tank bolts). They will send you the new flush valve, seals, tank bolts, and the tank/bowl gasket as well as a large plastic wrench that makes it easy to remove the original flush tower.

Good luck ... -dog.

Default I bought a champion toilet too -- it refills itself every 10 mins!!!!

I saw this toilet at Lowes and thought... if it can flush 24 golf balls, then I want it! Not that I ever crap that much but if I need to get rid of 24 golf balls really quick, I'm all set! It is definately a good advertising campaign.

I bought it about 4 months ago. I installed it myself and then immediately noticed that it keeps filling itself after 10 mins. Every 10 mins!!!

The build date inside the toilet is 6/22/2007. After reading this forum I see that American Standard has known about this faulty seal for a good 4 years but they continue to sell the toilet?! WTF?

Is it even worth it to have AS send me the new seal or whatever new, supposedly redesigned parts they think will fix it? Should I just return this piece of junk to Lowes?
    Last edited by d0n; 06-10-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The repair parts are free if you ask. If you can install them yourself, it should be an okay deal. The majority here don't recommend them - a pro can't afford callbacks for defective products. Doing it yourself, you can save a little, if you don't have to travel too far to find a good one, or return it for a second try if you don't.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 06-12-2008 at 05:59 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default ok

I called this AM and they're sending me a single gasket.

She did say that my toilet has the newly redesigned flush assmebly from june 2007. How can a redesigned flush valve & seal still leak??!!?! They redesigned it because of all the leaking seal problems... but the redesign parts still leak? WTF?

So, they're sending me the exact same gasket I already have. I don't understand how the new one will be any better than the almost new one I have on my toilet now? I bet it's still gonna leak.

I asked for 2 gaskets in case the new one "goes bad" but she said no... If this one fails I can just call up again and get another one. She said I have a 10 year warranty... like it was some great benefit.

What if I'm the type of person who can't or won't go digging around inside their toilet to install this new seal? I have to call a plumber have them come to my home, install a part that has a design fault and pay the plumbers outrageous rates?!

Wow, I'm sure glad I got this awesome american standard champion toilet with the great 10 year warranty!
    Last edited by d0n; 06-11-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Had anyone else had trouble putting the tank on the toilet on this champion toilet? the plumber actually had to ask for my help. I had to basically put all my weight on the tank for him to screw it down. Yeeshh.. I wish I would have known about this site earlier.