Shower valve sideways

Users who are viewing this thread

StillGoing

Reaction score
I'm replumbing a stall shower that had an obsolete two knob valve on 8" center. The tile is good and I have full access to the back. I already enlarged one of the valve holes in the back to accept a new American Standard R120 with pressure and volume control in one.

I want to put in two shower heads so I bought a Price Pfister roman tub diverter 015-38BC which I will connect to the tub output of the valve. Since both valve and diverter have female threaded connectors, if I connect the shower output of the mixing valve to the input of the diverter with a 6" brass nipple it lines up almost perfectly and makes a rigid piece i can mount very solidly to a backing 2x4.

This would put the tub outlet from the R120 valve at the left, hot on top, cold on bottom and I'll cap the shower outlet. My question is will this give me trouble down the road with the shower valve. Is it designed to work in any position or are there springs and slides that depend on gravity to wotk? The diverter installation diagram shows it mounted in this position but the valve diagram only shows it in the vertical position with the shower and tub outlets going up and down. I have test fitted the trim amd it works ok in the sideways position. I'll just need to move the foam drip backer so it opens downwards.

I can plumb the shower valve with elbows, making a U over to the diverter, which lets the valve stand vertical but its more work and money for brass. The 6" inch nipple solution with a sideways valve seems so easy but I could not find a retrofit layout like this on the internet so I'm nervous.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm wondering if this will give me trouble down the road with the shower valve. Is it designed to work in any position or are there springs and slides that depend on gravity to work? Is there some sort of code violation I am not aware of that an inspector would note? I'd rather find out before I call one in. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks